Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brian King's Models for Sale  (Read 3040 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Brian King's Models for Sale
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »

At the age of 90 Brian has finally been obliged to hang up his modelling boots and has decided to sell his wonderful collection of models at auction by Ewbanks of Surrey on March 17th.

You can see a preview of the auction catalogue here:

https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/Fine-Art-Antiques/2016-03-17?arr=&box_filter=&category=COLLECTIONS&category_by=&currency=&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&export_issue=&filter_360=&high_estimate=&image_filter=&keyword=&list_type=&lot_no_from=&lot_no_to=&lots_per_page=&low_estimate=&month=&page_no=1&paper_filter=&search_type=&sort_by=&view=bidders&year=

Colin

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brian King's Models for Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »

I can only drool over them. It will be interesting to see what they eventually realise.

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:01:53 am »

Hi, Sorry for the up coming negative....but.....

I wonder which idiot defined the ridiculous low valuations on these models?
Someone who has no idea of the amount of work, that goes into creating these wonderful objects.

Surely, these models deserve to be housed within a museum?

I met Brian King quite a few times, he taught me all about static scale judging. He even took me for my MPBA judges exam, in the early 90's....He was a very tough cookie to please indeed.
The man IS a legend within the scale warship modelling fraternity! Winner of countless awards, a huge wealth of knowledge, a very talented writer and a general all round great bloke!!

Ian......not very happy about it!

inertia

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:20:35 am »

Ian
It's a sad fact that the value of the time and effort put into making a model - especially a model of the quality of these - will seldom be realised on its subsequent sale. As a rule of thumb you'd be lucky to get back the price of a kit, let alone the paints, glues etc included, unless you came across someone who was absolutely determined to obtain that model at whatever the cost. In Brian's case there probably isn't a way of valuing such masterpieces, as there was often no kit on which they were based. If there was then the huge amount of additional detailing etc would price them way above any 'standard' kit build.
Museums tend to want flashing lights and interaction for their exhibits these days. Even if a straightforward maritime museum was interested (does such a beast still exist?) I doubt if it would have sufficient funds to pay much, if anything at all, for such a fine collection.
Let's hope for Brian's sake that a few well-heeled and appreciative buyers will be found for these magnificent models.
Dave M

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:00 am »

A daft question but are they all static models?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 12:47:23 pm »

In the current market the estimates are quite realistic, only with certain exceptions will model boast realise more.

Of course I hope that they do will go for considerably more, indeed they probably will, to private collectors and dealers; in the meantime we have to face the fact that people in general couldn't give a toss about model boats or their value. These have been offer to numerous museums etc. in the past, but all have declined the offer.

They are all static, cased models.

LB

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 04:50:46 pm »

Approaches have indeed been made to various museums but most have not been interested or would only accept them as donations. Very few auction houses are interested in model ships and boats unless they have antique or historical value such as builder's models or items which have been owned by somebody famous etc. Sheer craftmanship on its own does not attract much of a premium and the time put into building them was leisure time so it has no cash value.

Brian is indeed well known within the model boating world but not otherwise.

So ultimately the models are only worth what someone will pay for them although I really do hope that Brian does well in the sale.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 07:46:28 pm »

For me, his work on modelling the ninteenth century navy is peerless. They enthuse my efforts. A few years ago when I had a bob or two spare I would have bid on at least one of these beauties.

We can only hope the right sort of customer will attend and that none of the antiqueey telly programs are filming that day, as on the ones I have seen the crowd are either not a crowd (it being a quiet day), or everyone has their hands in their pockets :((

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.