Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunfire  (Read 38480 times)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Gunfire
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2016, 05:48:08 pm »

That looks pretty neat

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2016, 05:58:51 pm »

Thinking about, ... if you turn the "air" can upside down, you will get a burst of the
liquified gas, and that might work for a burst of smoke also.  :-))
As for the talc gun it might work better if I didn't have the air supply directly below the outlet.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2016, 07:54:11 pm »

Gun Firing Control System

In development electronic trigger sequencer/timer to trigger events - concept working just needs polishing! The sequence is triggered from a spare channel on your rc kit.

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2016, 11:19:30 pm »

Talk air gun........
Umi......that is a most realistic visual representation :-))
It would appear that the can of propellant air/gas could be mounted lower down in the hull & connected to the talk venturi gun/s mounted in the turret via small bore flexible nylon tubing

Gun Firing Control System
C-3PO.. this looks impressive, although my take on the sequence is as per post #13 and is based on the speed of light over the speed of sound over the human minds ability to perceive what they do or don't see/hear

1 = flash
2 = sound [bang]
3 = return form recoil

The timing for adding smoke from the explosion is subjective dependent of the ordinance WW1 gun mounts being considered.....could be before or during the recoil

I have seen relatively modern warships fire live 5" projectiles at night, however this is a rather different scenario to the 15" projectiles of some 100 years ago ;D........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 01:09:56 am »

Hi Derek,

You may well be correct with the sequence in the real world.

The sequence here is being driven by a microprocessor running at 16,000,000 instructions per second. I have no idea exactly how many instructions are needed to step between "recoil" and "bang" but it's in the single 10's. Unless I introduce an intentional delay here my logic was to get the relatively slow electro mechanical recoil mechanism moving cause in a few nanoseconds after this the "bang" sound would be triggered as it's electrons would be racing down the cable to trigger the sound file.

At the end of the day as the sequence is software based you can cut, slice and dice the solution to do what you want.

I'll see if I can upload a video somewhere when it's a bit more polished.

C-3PO

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2016, 01:29:50 am »

C-3PO........please understand I was not attempting to be critical in any sense :P.......when we view those 80 year old films of gunfiring ... I restate is all about our human minds ability to perceive what they do or don't see/hear

So when we scale this down, the time signature or time window is also reduced 

There are certain functions or processes that defy a correct visual perception if correctly scaled

One of these is the rate of fire.... if scaled correctly these 15" scale turret barrels would be behaving like a Gatling gun in the rate of fire  <*<.............

That is possibly one aspect that you may need to consider in some sort of time delay sequence

My mind has difficulty in even considering one or two instructions per second, let alone 16M instructions in the same period {-)

Please keep us posted with your work..... it is enlightening .......... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2016, 09:48:00 am »

Using a phrase from one of my favourite blues musicians

"It goes something like this" - https://youtu.be/wC2MIffSL6I

Rough timings, in a repeating loop so you can see what's happening. Currently switching relays but final solution in the main will switch components directly

C-3PO

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2016, 10:28:55 pm »

Gun Control Firing System - Second rework

https://youtu.be/cC4vUqXaoWY

C-3PO

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2016, 08:40:58 am »

Hi  Bob have a look on the chapman steel and Hutchinson  web site they produce very large scale square riggers  such as hms suprise if you follow the links theres a chap called meatbomber who came up with a firing system which allowed it to fire full broadsdes, regards pete
p

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2016, 02:06:10 pm »

Hi Petesubman:  I have been trawling links on the page, and indeed site, but so far not found reference to the 'meatbomber' article you mention.  I will keep looking.
Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »

Meatbomber is active in the model waterplane world, you might find him on RCGroups.com waterplane pages. His nick-name derives from his profession as a pilot for  parachutists.
..well can you land on this?

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2016, 08:10:10 pm »

Sorry bob, try hms surprise  fires her guns, regards  pete

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2016, 08:28:49 pm »

Goodness.....that certainly is impressive :-)) .... however the sound is more like a current day weapon.... being a loud high pitched crack, whereas Bob is after a lower pitched earth shattering blast noise...........Derek

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiWpf7XtK_LAhXDHZQKHehHCVIQtwIIKTAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dz0uqJWeUP48&usg=AFQjCNHAFXkV16FunDMFvLpMoGJkOqpIOA&sig2=oX-zz_ZqdfHo2iO0zrMzIg
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2016, 09:45:41 pm »

Very impressive indeed.  However, that definitely looks like black powder to me, and alludes to the same in the text near the end of the clip.  I need to simulate gunfire, not replicate it with gunpowder.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2016, 11:28:17 pm »

I believe I may have solved the problem of simulated gunfire. Pictures to follow.

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2016, 01:47:37 pm »

Rather a long post here but hopefully the pictures will also speak for themselves.

Over the weekend I tried a number of experiments regarding simulating gunfire. The basics are quite simple using a home-made smoke generator (Nichrome wire wrapped round a wick resting in a small bath of fog fluid) and blowing air and smoke/fog out of a barrel. Fundamentally this follows the principles I have been working on with Iron Duke but I wanted to re-validate the proposed system and process to see if there were areas for improvement.
First experiment.
Single barrel with a small container not much larger than the barrel containing the smoke generator – air supply is just blowing gently down a tube. The concept was to see if such a simple arrangement would produce a smoke cloud. Could it be that simple that vaporising the fog fluid in a relatively confined space would work?  When it exits the barrel would it immediately mix with the surrounding air and provide the volume needed? I blew down the tube and smoke certainly exited but the volume was disappointing. A longer heat time did not improve matters.
Second experiment
Basically the same as the first but this time with a larger smoke container something in the region of three times the volume. The results were a significant increase in smoke volume so this would seem to be the way to go and may be sufficient to contain all within the turret structure. If the turret was airtight the whole interior of the turret could be used? This has some possibilities?
Third Experiment
I used the barbette under the turret itself as the smoke container which has greater volume still and this produced the volume of smoke as shown in the picture which I believe is adequate to simulate gun fire. I used a 15mm copper elbow feeding into a 15mm/8mm adaptor which was taped to a plastic barrel. The barbette is sealed and air blown through plastic tube. The pressure required is not high and may well work with a fish tank air pump.
I deliberately did not put any valve at the base of the gun. I wanted to see if this was really needed as maybe the smoke would stay inside until blown out. My conclusion is a valve is required as otherwise before firing the smoke tends to drift out which would spoil the effect.
Conclusions:
1)      I think this is a viable approach and produces sufficient smoke and sufficient shots.
2)      A puff of air is better than a gentle blow – the effect is more sudden.
3)      A valve of some kind is needed at the barrel to stop smoke drift.
4)      Current consumption is 5 amps on 12v. Three generators = 15 amps.
5)      I need a single smoke generator on for about 8 seconds to generate sufficient smoke
6)      Whilst the current consumption is quite high this needs to be set against 3,600 seconds in an hour so nominally 450 shots! (Assuming the battery can discharge at 5 amps). It’s not that simple in practice due to efficiency losses but the potential numbers are certainly attractive.
7)      The smoke definitely needs space to form properly in the consistency needed but importantly the volume needed is nowhere as large as early trials had suggested, which means it can be smaller.
8)      The barbette is about 3” wide by 2” high – plastic drain pipe connector.
9)      After firing about 10/12 times the copper elbow was hot to touch, so more heat than anticipated, but I think this is manageable and no damage was caused to the plastic barrel which remained cool during the experiments. I think the copper was hot as it was directly over the element.
10)   Using the barbette as the smoke container meant I could have a 15mm hole off center for the smoke to exit. Condensation on the copper proved negligible although some drops were formed at the end of the barrel. If the barrel is elevated then this may be reduced and just run back into the fog fluid bath.

One of the problems is to design an efficient valve that will seal at very low pressure and be easy to operate and sufficiently small. I have tried sliding valves (A plate with a hole in it which slides sideways to permit smoke flow through) and disc valves (A circular disk with a hole such as it rotates it aligns with a hole and again permits smoke to flow through). These worked to a degree but were complex to manufacture and prone to leakage and installation problems.
I have now decided to go a piston valve route – basically a brass tube with a hole drilled through one side to the other with another brass tube inside. If the inner tube is slid it will open a passage for the smoke to pass through. Experiments with this show they should be easy to build and operate and be quite gas tight.
The plan is to build a shared smoke tank underneath “A” and “B” turrets, one under “Q” and the other under “X” and “Y” with the piston valve(s) at the top of all three tanks all of which will be fixed to the underside of the deck thus simplifying smoke transfer to the rotating turret and barrel.  Air supply will be through a single powerful fan blowing into a distribution pipe through ½” diameter plastic pipe to each of the smoke boxes again with a piston valve to prevent back flow.
Some thought will show this has to be an entirely separate part and installed in the hull albeit this will depend on the particular ship characteristics. The air connectors will be cone shaped and push through latex sheet with a hole in it thus providing an air tight seal to the smoke box. This method means only a single more powerful fan will be needed which could be easily modified dependent on system characteristics.
Operation will then be:
1)      Smoke units on for 8 seconds
2)      Open fan valve and switch on fan
3)      Simultaneously switch off smoke generator and open gun valve for 2 seconds to eject puff of smoke from all five turrets, so a proper broadside.
4)      Switch of fan and close both valves
5)      Repeat as required.
I plan to use a slow cam to operate various micro switches in sequence and believe the whole system to be fairly simple to build and maintain.
Simplistically if I have three generators working at once they will draw 15 amps. Assuming the battery can supply this current drain how many shots will it give us? If I have a total battery capacity of 15 amps/hour this is 15 amps for 1 hour or 1 amp for 15 hours. 15 amps per hour = 3,600 seconds. Divided by 28 (3 generators x 8 seconds = 24 seconds equivalent duration) = 150 broadsides. If battery capacity is doubled then we get 300 broadsides. Again simplistically if we then times this by 50% for loss of efficiency etc we get 75 broadsides or  150 broadsides respectively. Modern batteries should readily be able to provide the current requirements – for those of you who are better at batteries do please comment if this is generally correct. “Single” shots from “A & B” and “Q” and “X & Y” could extend the effect considerably.
I hope to have this ready for Iron Duke for Wicksteed Park in May if all goes well.
The end point is to create a system which can be readily built and operated with no pyrotechnics and importantly can produce a high number of shots.
Sorry, a long post here but thought the gunfire developments may be of interest.
Cheers
Geoff

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2016, 07:30:32 pm »

Eureka Geoff! I read your paper (well that is what it is) on the experiments and thoughts leading you to this effective conclusion and the effect is very satisfying visually.

Without particulates I do not think brown cordite colouration will be possible, and this would need another mechanism alongside the smoke generator. But as it goes, your system looks to provide as good a non chemical cloud as I have seen.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2016, 09:18:41 pm »

Wow Geoff.  I had to read this through very carefully several times, but I believe you are on to a winner.
In my case I have just one twin turret, in a taller barbette.  To be able to repeat the effect more than once is enough for me.  No need to lay a sustained bombardment.  I trialled the air pump on an e-cigarette but not much smoke was sucked through.  Maybe the recoil mechanism could double as a shut off valve.

Thank you  O0

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2016, 10:20:19 pm »

Looking for something different but related to model ships, I found this link http://www.modelshipmaster.com/products/modern_navy/ with a turret and smoking guns! I am trying to find more information for you from it.

Fair enough, they are a commercial concern and understandbly would keep this development for the benefit of their customers  but the image dose show the plumbing and some wiring.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2016, 10:40:23 pm »

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. I have seen the pictures of the Bismark turrets and yes its a commercial secret but shows it can be done in a small scale.

I'm convinced if we all share our knowledge we can come up with a workable system as we all know different parts so if we can work together we can figure it out for the benefit of us all.

I'll update as the experiment continues!

Cheers

Geoff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2016, 10:01:40 am »

Geoff,

This looks really good - very impressive. Can I ask what power source/battery you are using? Also do you just wind the coil or are you winding it do give a calculated resistance?

C-3PO

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2016, 01:32:49 pm »

I was using a 12v 7ah battery (gell cell) so nothing special. I used nichrome wire from an old hair-dryer and really the length was a guestimate. It depends on how thick the wire is but you want to aim for glowing red like an electric fire. Any hotter and it will oxidise and burn out. Longer and thinner is better as you have more heating area. No more than 5 amps current as otherwise it can get unmanageable in terms of battery capacity.

I don't think its possible to generate brown smoke without using pyrotechnics which defeats the whole point of this experiment. I also am not convinced we can ever get the sudden ball shaped cloud of smoke as this is really the result of very high pressure gasses exiting the barrel. We could probably get something close if we used compressed at at about 200psi to blast the smoke out but I'll leave that for others to try!

None of the proposed components are too critical or too difficult to engineer. A lathe is always useful but is not necessary.

Next steps:

I'm planning on building a sample box to fit under "A & B" turrets to see how it all performs pumping smoke out of two barrels. I'm anticipating it will work fine as the smoke box will of necessity be larger. I'll report back soonest

Cheers

Geoff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2016, 01:58:05 pm »

Geoff,

Some additional info to chuck in the pot - might be some useful bits

It seems that it's hip in the vaping crowd  to wind your own coil to get the maximum cloud. single, double, staple.....

Have a look at this - http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/wire/kanthal-sample-pack  and what a selection of wire! http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/wire

They have an online coil calculator - http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?testreferer=StealthVape

And loads of these on Youtube - this is just one example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-sjzc_DahA

So you may be able to enhance the coil for more smoke. On the other hand depending what liquid you are heating maybe just a quicker fire!

C-3PO

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

Thank you, I'll have a look and digest.

Now a question does anybody know of the best (read loudest) sound generator as I need to develop something for the gunfire sound. Cornwall Model Boats have a sound module for a 16" salvo which can be operated by a micro switch so seems ideal but the speaker is only 2" so I am uncertain of the sound volume.

Does anybody have any experience with this module, or similar, and how loud, or any other suggestions.

Thanks

Geoff

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2016, 02:15:31 pm »

Meant to add I have the space for two speakers up to 4" diameter.

G
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.