Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 43   Go Down

Author Topic: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build  (Read 435364 times)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: Shannon 'RNLB The Morrell' 13-02 [Models by Design] - a 1/12th build
« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2017, 09:20:36 am »

Interesting how different the grey is for the non slip floor too.

Build looking good so far Kim.  :-)) 

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2017, 10:21:58 am »

Good morning Spongie, Craig and Bryan,
Yes, I had missed the 'lighter' [like the rest of the fleet] anti-slip paint Craig, but Spongie's shots show the darker colour used in all those I have photographed. Also in his I noticed that the hinges to the survivors' hatch cover are VERY shiny and bright and also there is a diagonal stripe pattern to the anti-slip surface on this hatch cover too. So Martin's photos have made us aware, again, that if you are making a particular lifeboat it is well worth researching the fine detail to get it 'right', especially if you are a Member of the Honourable Guild of Rivet Counters like me!!
I did get a PM from a gentleman that had worked in the Paint Room at RNLI Poole regarding the black joint line and he has said there is no generic guidance on how to mask up and finish off these areas. So that was useful feedback.
Regards and thanks to each for your observations, no doubt we will get some more; all helpful to complete and understand our models.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #427 on: August 04, 2017, 10:13:27 am »

Got a package yesterday containing the 'bits' I had given Andy Griggs [MbD] last weekend at Alfold with a set of the resin and CNC polystyrene pieces too. The CNC sheet has the little 'egg box' [Floor support and two storage accesses under the upper steering floor and steps] bits missing in the photo as Andy had made this up to give it a test. Well impressed. You will have to remember the following, as I made the originals shown in grey - what else!
  • They were made to fit my [MbD] wheelhouse and deck - I have trimmed 2mm more off the very rear of the stern section of the wheelhouse sides.
  • I have now made the rear wall ends and then filled them with resin - see previous section covering this on this build.
  • The thickness of my wheelhouse glass fibre lay-up might be thicker or thinner than your one.
  • I have sanded the interior surface of my wheelhouse.
  • I would very carefully mark up the interior surface of the main piece here - the rear bulkhead / wheelhouse wall - and then judiciously 'Dremmel' the interior of the searchlight locker and instrument panel with a PermaGrit drill, thus losing a little excess weight.
All of this can be adjusted with thin fillets of either styrene or glass fibre sheet. You can always send me a PM if you want me to give further help on these matters, once you have your 'kit'.
This kit only went on sale Wednesday evening and five have been sold already. They cost £25 + £4.25 p&p which includes the insurance value of the product sent. You get the 'cream' resin pieces shown [photo 2 gives the reverse of the pieces showing the floor supports and their angle of drainage] and the CNC sheet which gives the air intake for the engine room on the Port side and the also the upper steering position air extract, the rear step and the little 'egg' box that makes the floor supprt and lockers above and below the step, the fire hydrant locker door and the upper steering position floor. I am pleased with what Andy has turned out from my efforts, so hopefully this might help a few folk with what can be an awkward little build.
Canterbury Coxswain

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #428 on: August 04, 2017, 05:08:09 pm »

Hi Kim
Have to say Andy's done a nice job of those parts from your masters.
Now you can get on with fitting them  {-)

Del

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #429 on: August 05, 2017, 12:28:36 am »

Hi Kim been looking at the pictures you have put on that Andy has made of your bits. I noticed that the right side of the aperture under the upper steering position should be flush and not set back. Also the rear cockpit wall should it not be like your photo on your CD. But very nice bits that are a pain to make I know have made 3 cockpits to date.

John

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #430 on: August 05, 2017, 12:31:39 am »

Hi forgot to put this photo on it shows a lip around the edge of the back wall plus a pole which I would think is for support.

John

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #431 on: August 05, 2017, 02:36:54 pm »

John, you are not wrong regarding the starboard side being flush on your photos [and possibly on most boats], but I have said in my Post on 27th July that the whole of this unit is about 90% correct and in the last Post above that 'all of this can be adjusted with either styrene or glass fibre sheet' by each modeller to make it correct for their lifeboat. Andy has brought my attention to a number of little 'peculiarities' from boat to boat reminding me that the first eight or so were made at Berthons and those since by SAR Composites [I think they were formerly Green Marine and bought up by the RNLI to become SAR under them] and each boat is put together and these 'units' when added at the main build could or would be slightly different. But not a major correction - a small rectangle of sheet, cut to the same size of possibly 1.5mm sheet, glued to what is there and all is corrected. That's what I'll do once I have got down and measured the indent [or not] on 13-02. At the same time I will get to look at the life-raft cannister supports underneath it.
Regarding the rear upper steering position wall - I have made the actual 'blank'. This now needs to be detailed with various items including the rear back supports fixtures. I will possibly mill this to get the support protrusion you mention and therefore the right thickness at this point. As for the 'pole', this is the electric cable feed pipe for the electrics to the speaker and the electric contact plate that gives the information back to the System Screens that the telecomms tower is in the lowered or raised [and fixed] up position. Again these pieces can easily be added and detailed with either tube or rod.
Of course all the other little strengthening supports that sit under each hand rail fixing position have yet to be cut and fixed on, but I thought this better to do at the time of fabricating each hand rail.
Along way to go and a lot of detail to add, but this was just to get the main corridor and upper steering position with its instrument console made for my model, replacing what I had and allowing for the whole to be fixed together and a more solid, one piece wheelhouse in its entirety.
Kim [C.C.]

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #432 on: August 09, 2017, 11:09:02 am »

I got into the workshop for a couple of hours yesterday and was going to put together the corridor and upper steering position parts that Andy had returned from the moulding process, to make a more solid unit. However, on thinking about it I decided that with all the detailing and drilling of holes for the stainless steel bolts and screws that will affix the fixtures and fittings, this might be better done later. I have not decided on the painting procedure yet and this area is going to me a small 'nightmare' to spray [especially if using a 'rattle can'] and also detail paint. So while I had the rear bulkhead / wall as a separate unit I decided to:
  • cut out the door aperture, as this would require some support and could still be put flat on the worktop. I did this using the Dremel and a small, thin diamond grit slitting wheel for the straight cuts and then 'chain drilled' the corners. Once removed I then filed the inner edge to the line and its correct profile.
  • then I used some 1mm styrene sheet [started with 0.5mm sheet, as the RNLI plans seemed to indicate - the lines are thick though - but this did not look right] and marked out the strengthening doorway frame.
  • whilst doing this I had extended some of the hinge lines on the plans to give the correct profile where it was 'hidden' from view. It was at this point that I recognised the marine architect's design where he / she had extended the angle on the plate [or visa versa] to be reflected in the angle of the large 'gob eye' fairlead railing on the stern - I like little details like this, I'm easily pleased.
  • I then bevelled / profiled the edge so when glued it would look like the actual fibre glass versions on the lifeboat.
  • this I glued into place using Plastic Weld liquid glue from EMA.
  • when dry I cut the central portion out using a knife and appoaching from the interior side, using the grey styrene wall aperure as a guide. This went pretty well OK, but the top right hand corner was a fraction out and I will correct this when I glue the protruding frame edge to the doorway frame this afternoon.
  • remember in the last photo the bulkhead / wall is still only 'dry' fitted, hence the slight gap that will be filled when this is bolted together and resin / taped later.
  • once done I filed the internal edge smooth.
  • finally, you will note that I pencil onto pieces the 'Bow' or 'Stern' facing surface and the 'upright' arrow. Just find this helps assembly when some shapes are almost the same, but not quite. Nothing worse than finding when something is nice and firmly fixed that it is the wrong way around!!
I had already typed this up once and when I posted it one of the photos was at 301kb - so it came up 'error' and I lost the lot!! Still do not know if there is a way to get this back when it happens? Hope I have not forgotten anything I typed first time. Well here goes - hope it is accepted!

C.C.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #433 on: August 09, 2017, 11:45:30 am »

Looking really good Kim great skills as usual.
colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2017, 12:56:17 am »

Morning Kim...still following on.....I didn't quite understand  %) the yellow box around the tube/pipe transition??

In the real vessel, are all of these larger diameter.... OD tubes or NB pipes? and beatifically TIG welded stainless or alloy?....and how will you make that ~~135 degree transition bend & the concentric reducers just above the bend?

"when I posted it one of the photos was at 301kb - so it came up 'error' and I lost the lot!! Still do not know if there is a way to get this back>>:-(

Am sure this has happened to most of us at some stage.... for anything more than 5 lines..... I type the text into MS Outlook....can check, edit & save etc.....[it auto saves the message in Drafts Folder so is easily accessible] ...then copy & paste into the MBM page .......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #435 on: August 10, 2017, 03:09:10 pm »

Colin, great to hear from you again and thanks for the comment. Are you building at the moment and if so what? If not are you enjoying 'the fruits of your labours'?
Derek, welcome back, I thought you might be hibernating - but trust you are well?
The little yellow box [so wonderfully taught me by an antipodean] is showing where I have drawn in the bottom part of the door hinge and - hey presto - it mimicks the angle of the rear rail to the 'gob-eye' fairlead! Nice touch, I thought.
Regarding the fabricating of these for my model, I shall be making the rails and stanchions now in brass, both rod and tube, and bending on my superb little Robbe tube bender. Where the gauges of metal change I will machine on the lathe two cones [with studs on either end that will be soldered into the relevant other rail. These will then be primed and sprayed the 'flecked' anodised light aluminium silver colour.
Derek, thanks too for the tip on typing up, I had worked out that if I 'Copy' it before I send it will allow me to 'Paste' should it go wrong on the second attempt. I now have two methods, thanks.
As to the construction or metal used on the real lifeboat, I will try and get some information this Sunday [13th] at the Dungeness RNLS Open Day.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #436 on: August 10, 2017, 03:24:26 pm »

Folks, a couple of days ago I got the very new and latest design magazine 'Lifeboats - Past and Present', which replaces the former 'Newsletter' for the Lifeboat Enthusiasts' Society. In recent months there have been a number of changes for various reasons - one being that John and Pam Francis who started the Society have hung up their pens after 52 years!
If you want to join you get the magazine three times a year and a handbook once a year, detailing all the whereabouts and info on lifeboats and their tractors - a great reference work. Send a cheque for £18 - and made out to the RNLI to Tony Denton [Membership Secretary], Dawn, Upper Battlefield, Shrewsbury, SY4 4AA. The magazine has as its Editor Nicholas Leach - need I say more? It really is a marvelous volume and very informative and well documented. You will not be disappointed, that I can guarantee you! Some 'pics' to whet your appetite.
Canterbury Coxswain

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #437 on: August 10, 2017, 11:04:18 pm »

Hi Kim, not building at the moment had best part of a year of life getting in the way as it does, still got into the shed today so hope to sort it out and get back to the Tyne sometime in September.
On a more cheerful note found the Facebook page a couple of days ago for the LES wondered how to join it appears your post is very timely.
Peace colin

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #438 on: August 11, 2017, 10:09:29 am »

Colin et al,
Don't forget to put your own address with your LBES cheque [made out to RNLI] and also say you are a new member! Easily forgotten - I've done it myself and wondered why goods did not turn up -  it would give Tony a big headache! He might wonder why so many are suddenly joining though.
Colin, just enjoy what good happens and when it fits in with the rest of 'life's rich pattern'.
Happy modelling and 'tidy' sheds and workshops.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #439 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:37 pm »

Having got the exterior door frame glued into position it then needed the 'water seal' protusion to be added. This I made from 1mm white styrene sheet at a depth of 5.5mm, cut into three smaller lengths. I formed each one separately into its position, gently coaxing the shape and when satisfied I used the EMA plastic-weld to fix into position, making sure the rear [interior edge] was against the bench cutting mat surface, thus making sure it had a uniform edge and protusion. Each went well, but there was an excess 'squidge' of glue in places and this needed to be left over night to harden off before tidying up. When this had been done I:
  • gave a light coat of grey primer [what else!!].
  • this showed small defects around the frame, so Humbrol filler was judiciously applied with a re-contoured end to a wooden coffee stirer at the 90 degree join.
  • while this dried the main door 'blank' was drawn and cut from 1.5mm grey styrene sheet...........
  • .......then the door exterior surface drawn and cut in white styrene sheet and finished to reflect the correct radii from the plans.
I then remembered that Andy from MbD had made a resin 'generic' door [also used on the Trent and Severn classes, but hinged on the opposite side], so I dug that out to look at, but decided I would continue with mine as I was going to machine my fixtures and fittings for this later.
I had also filled a few other scratches and dips in the upper steering position and corridor and when all was dry and hardened off, sanded and contoured the surfaces smooth. This was followed with another light dusting of grey primer.
All in all I am pleased with this and might stop here and tomorrow [Saturday] start to make a few rails for the wheelhouse, just to give a contrast of items produced on the model for the Open Day this Sunday at Dungeness, especially as a few of the crew have their own MbD Shannons under construction and might want to see some of the items I have fabricated.
The good news is that I am now up to date with the 'burning' of some DVDs of Shannon class photos [also a Severn and Arun one too] for models sold recently, so am able to take another £60 to RNLS Dungeness on Sunday and hope that with the collecting box contents I might be able to make it another £100 by the close of play. If you are coming down, don't forget your wallets!! Remember the lifeboat launches at 1400hrs.

C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #440 on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:26 pm »

Final photos.
C.C.

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #441 on: August 12, 2017, 09:17:30 am »

Hi Kim
Cracking along there great progress  :-))

Derek

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #442 on: August 12, 2017, 10:07:29 am »

Thanks Derek,
It appears to be painfully slow at times, an hour here and two hours there in the workshop, and what have you to show for it - a hole with an edge around it!! Also, as you know, you have to get each stage correct and finished before moving on, but it's rewarding in a small way. Like you, that's why I like the 'semi-scratch' build side of modelling.
Well, off to the workshop for the morning to make a handrail for the Port side roof. Will it go well and to plan? This afternoon it's 'charge everything' for tomorrow and then get everything out and lined up in the lounge [that might not go down too well!!] for the very early off to Dungeness in the morning - leaving at 0630hrs, after loading [similar display to what you saw at Alfold]!!
Have a good weekend, it will soon be 'Broomfield' in the Park Festival.
Kim

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2017, 11:46:44 pm »

As well as getting all my gear ready for tomorrow's Open Day at Dungeness I did have a short time in the workshop, where I made a start on the rails. I do like brass for these as they normally take knocks and bangs and various pressures when being loaded and unloaded, and I've even seen adults push and break them at the Newhaven Open Day a few years back - hence my reluctance to use plastic and cast resin - it's the best way to save 'heart ache' further down the line - they are a pain to mend and normally never look the same again [and they are weakened]. Fine for a display model, but for me, not for a 'working' radio controlled one that live on the pond or lake alongside other club members' vessels!
So back to silver soldering skills. Firstly I :
  • put a piece of masking tape along the bottom edge of the angled roof panel on the Port side roof.
  • then I checked the measurements from the RNLI plans onto the model and found them to be a couple of millimetres out.
  • so I measured off lines from the back and front edges of the removable engine cover.......
  • .....and did likewise from the back and front edges of the window frames. This all seemed to fit and was just 1mm out at the front sloping edge - pretty good. This also measured off and agreed with where the small gantry, to hold the large VHF aerial, will go.
  • the line was drawn 5mm up from the edge and then the four fixing points were marked and drilled.
  • the brass rod was measured and bent at both ends and dry fitted, after a small bend was put at the 'black' mark forward of the other mark made for the forward mid support. This bend is infact two, both small and downwards and inwards to take the front angle of the wheelhouse roof .......
  • .....then the two midway supports were measured and cut and a small rounded dip was filed into the top edge of each, allowing the hand rail to sit neatly into it.
  • each were silver soldered and cleaned up.
  • then a dry fit made and that was that for the day. It is a tight fit and later the outer flanges will be made and also the internal rods will have a 2mm thread cut onto each and then, using a 2mm nut and washer, this will draw the rail tightly onto the roof. 
Next week I will attempt to do this and also make the Starboard side rail. Then I will get to grips with the pulpit rail on the fore deck.
It's been a busy week, as a number of you making this model are sending PMs, emails and also 'phone calls, to get information on how to complete items on your Shannons and find certain measurements either off the RNLI plans or from my notes made when visiting RNLB The Morrell at Dungeness. Do place the odd picture here of your progress - please.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #444 on: August 16, 2017, 12:15:59 pm »

What a great weekend and Monday!!
MBM brings so many of us together in build matters and socially at Shows and at other times. As you will know from above it was to be the Dungeness RNLS Open Day, with the New Romney Sea Cadet Corps of Drums Band, the Kent Police Rapid Response Weapons Team, wine, beer, B-B-Q, candy floss and Ice cream machines, books, sweets, plants sales, tombola, childrens' rides, the Station's Shop, the LBES Model Display and of course ..........the Schnell Family over from Germany - Arno [Swiftdoc], Andrea his wife and daughter Anke!!!
This was a truly wonderful day, well organised by Fund Raising Chairperson Georgie and everyone readied by the Coxswain Stuart Adams and his trusty Engineer and 2nd Coxswain Trevor Bunney. The LOM [Lifeboat Operations Manager] Roger Gillet took full responsibility for the day.
I am downloading a few of my shots to give a feel of the day. You will see the Littlestone 'schaulchboot' - tube boat, being the Atlantic '75 RIB and also the Coastguard helicopter. There is a picture of Trevor spinning the Shannon through 360 degrees on the water jets - impressive. Down by the waters edge I counted roughly 500 visitors, including Arno who was in 'seventh heaven'!!. They were most generous and my collecting boxes contained the most ever at a one day show - £88 [a £20, 3x£10, 3x£5 and many £2 coins. That and the DVD monies and collecting box contents from the Alfold Charity Show meant I handed over £138. Thanks to all concerned for this great amount. By 1800hrs all was packed away - you will see 13-02 recovered onto the carriage, but prior to its spin of 180 degrees, ready for the next Launch.
Monday brought a visit to Alan's [17-09] boatyard above the cliffs at Dover - Arno and the ladies were most impressed with what they saw - and we all got some of Mrs. 17-09's wonderful cheese pastries!!
I hope you enjoy the photos, they will come in four batches across the next hour or so.
Kim
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #445 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:04 pm »

Next.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #446 on: August 16, 2017, 12:25:07 pm »

And the next! Notice the different lengths to the two major VHF [whip] aerials, something that is easily overlooked in some models.
C.C.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #447 on: August 16, 2017, 12:28:49 pm »

And finally!
C.C.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #448 on: August 16, 2017, 12:45:43 pm »

Great pics Kim, I should think the station was very happy with your contributions congratulations on the amounts you raise  :-))
 Hopefully next year I shall get along to the open day just need to get the date in the diary.
peace colin

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #449 on: August 16, 2017, 07:39:38 pm »

Kim, you are right: Sunday and Monday were days we will never forget. Thank you, Alan and Alan's wife for the warm and heartily welcome you gave us. It was so much more than we might have expected. Attending the launch of the Shannon lifeboat was very impressive indeed.

The quality of your model and the ones Alan showed us is outstanding. It gave me so much inspiration and I am thankful for that.

Kind regards

Arno & family

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 43   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.