Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type 42 colours  (Read 2981 times)

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
Type 42 colours
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:11:20 am »

Hi,
 I am looking for information about colour schemes for Type 42 destroyers at the time they had green decks.
 Was the quarterdeck green? and was the flight deck grey? The scheme changed about the period of 1980 -82 I believe.
Any information gratefully received, many thank you's
 17-09

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
Re: Type 42 colours
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:57 am »

The green decks ceased in 1978, so not all 42s would have been commissioned with them.

Deck green was BS4800 14C39, the hull etc. colours were & still are BS381C 676 Light Weatherwork Grey. Flight decks were BS381C 632 Dark Admiralty Grey or BS381C 638 Dark Sea Grey. Theses colours replaced the deck green but the usual colour was 632.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:04:50 pm »

Hi Mudway,
 Thank you for your concise reply, I knew there would be someone out there who would know the answers but did not expect it to come from all the way down under. I am restoring a model of HMS Newcastle, she has green decks but also has, what I believe to be, a 1022 radar. At the period of green decks (1978) she had only just been built and should have a twin bedstead 965 array, I have ordered this radar as a replacement.      Thanks for your help, I might ask you again if I may, should I need any info on the 42's.......Regards  17-09

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:58:26 pm »

HMS Newcastle on sea trials in June 1977
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:22:40 am »

Hello John,
 Thank you for your interest in my project and for the pictures and link, I do have the booklet "The Geordie Gunboat" and have studied it at length. Unfortunately, there are no colour pictures of her in the early days. I have ordered a twin bedstead array which is so prominent on the early ships, your photograph shows this feature very well.
 I do prefer the ships with grey decks although the green does give them a bit of contrast colour.
Thanks again
17-09

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 01:59:54 pm »

hi ya my mate

HMS Newcastle is one of those ships that keep crossing my Geordie path now and then :-) the only way she will cross me path now is if she shaves me face :-) My wife's cousin sailed on this ship.   I have seen this vessel a few times as well when she is doing her sea trials and I have a few friends who actually built the thing.   When I have spoken to my friends all they say is they can recall scruffy decks with empty drums and rubbish lying around when she was being built - also plenty welding cables lying all over the place.  They cannot recall the colour of the deck when she was finished.   They all seem to say that they were grey/dark grey at that. or, even rusty.

I am going to send my wife's cousin a message to see if he knows, but I believe he served on her at a later date.  Also there is a guy on facebook - I will put a link on if you email him - he might know.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/951539064881736/

john

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 06:04:14 pm »

Hi John,
Thanks for chasing up the 42 colours for me, very much appreciated, if you do eventually see the model I hope it will bring back memories, I know the ships company's loved a run ashore in the North East.
Did you read my  previous request about the Newcastle brown flag hoisted when doing a RAS, it's in the Geordie Gunboat article that you have, If anyone knows it will be you...
cheers  17-09 (Alan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.