Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help, tug displacement smoke unit water weight, fenders ?  (Read 2291 times)

dazzle

• Full Mayhemer
Help, tug displacement smoke unit water weight, fenders ?
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:44:05 pm »

Smit rotterdam I bought and refurbished I did not alter paint on hull, tug is very stable and sails spot on the waterline top of red paint but is also very sensitive to the slightest change in weight even less than 100 grams alters it. I am fitting a smoke unit weight with lipo is 350 grams, weight of water that fills it is 500grams, total 850 grams not far short of 1 kilo, I can remove lead from the hull but not sure as to how much or whether to have boat on the waterline or above when smoke unit is empty or full or if boat will still be stable ?

The rotterdam was an ocean going tug I do not know whether to put fenders I have on it in a deployed position or not ?
As my knowledge of tugs is not much above zero need help to above ?? as hope to sail
it tomorrow if finish smoke unit etc in time

Mick

Please move post if in wrong place, as not sure where to post this
Don't Hit the Rescue Dinghy

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help, tug displacement smoke unit water weight, fenders ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:30:37 pm »

Hi Mick nice looking tug,try to get it on the waterline they are very narrow boats,no fenders on that sort of tug.
regards John B

dazzle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 06:40:07 am »

Thank you John, for compliment on the tug and also the info just what I needed re the fenders I will leave off and the waterline which I will set her on when the smoke unit is full, the unit cuts out as most do when it's sensor is exposed after it has used about a 1 third of the water even though there is still 2/3rds water in it , the boat will ride higher mistake I made on post I said above I should have said below waterline of boat, I am going to put the smoke unit as low as I can get it and also lower the main battery so  think she will still be stable enough as is a  heavy wood hull I will give the lake a miss today as has took me longer  than I expected to do and have not finished.

Thank you again for your help Best Regards Mick

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 11:24:24 am »

Fenders would only be deployed when going alongside either another ship or a dockside pier of some description, usually tossed over the sides by the crew. On this vessel they would not be the 'knitted' variety, but more likely large polypropylene cylinders on the end of ropes secured to bitts on the deck. Even then I'm sure if I have seen photo's of this vessel using truck tyres secured permanently to the hull sides with welded chain, this is the usual method on ocean going tugs.

dazzle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 04:31:30 pm »

Hi Brian, they are large knitted type fenders plus realized are far too over scale  for the size of the tug, think you have also solved what the the black cylinders at the front of the upper deck are for, my knowledge of my only tug is now improving as I mainly model launches, harbour defence, mtb s etc and my latest a very large hulking great brute of an r a f rttl, most I have not finished yet.
I try to get my boats as accurate to the real ones as possible, I read as many post on all  the boat related topics though takes time to go through them to find info on what am looking for plus gives me ideas as well.

Thanks John B and Brian for your help.

Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.