Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Osborn Models Mirror Dinghy.  (Read 8332 times)

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
Osborn Models Mirror Dinghy.
« on: April 03, 2016, 11:36:09 am »

Has anyone built this 1/5 scale (22") sailing dinghy? The kit requires the 'stitch and glue' method of joining panels as in the original full size vessel. I have never used this method in a model and wondered if others had any problems with it during construction. Thanks.   

me3

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Osborn Models Mirror Dinghy.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 06:30:44 pm »

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:31:38 pm »

The kit contains full instructions on the construction method, plenty of diagrams.  Hope you enjoy the build and let us know how you get on :-)) :-))

Graham

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:32:37 pm »

Have you seen this?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436217

No I haven't - all my searches came to nowt somehow?  Very informative and just what I wanted regarding the method of stitching on a small model, compared with when I repaired my old Mirror many years ago.
 :-)) me3!

Thank you too slinger - I will.

Bob.

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:51:57 pm »

Hi Nemo,

I have built this Mirror kit, followed the instructions, which were pretty good, for the 'stitch and glue' of the hull panels. Only area which needed a bit of 'fettling' and care was fitting the pram bow section. As long as you don't over-tighten the copper ties which will crush the plywood, and may distort the hull shape. Don't do as I did and manage to prick my finger with a copper wire tie, and ended up with a blood-smeared hull!

I am attaching a picture, (hopefully!) of my completed hull, with the mast and standing rigging, you will notice that I deviated from the kit with the rudder linkage, I thought the closed-loop solution in the instructions would have a bit to much 'slop'.

Cheers,

Mike

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 05:58:35 pm »

That looks really good, if it wasn't for the servo, could be full size.

Simon

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:10:29 pm »

Mike. Thanks for that report. Lovely completed model and looking just like real - which of course is the object.  :-))
I hope I do as well?

I started slowly this week and have stitched the hull and floor and made a small error with the bow section when 'tweaking' the chine ties to get it aligned all round and trying to avoid twists. When curing over night, the bow-side joint has slipped slightly on one side and will have to be sanded down to correct this, With 2mm ply there is not a lot of room for error but the joint is very strong so I hope to get away with it (+a bit if filler!). ;) In any event it has no twists and is rock solid!

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »

Slow progress as wife poorly. <:(

As can be seen my first attempt at glass-fibre taping did not go too well but it will have to do. It is watertight and the boat is square so that is the important thing.
Progress  was made by removing the wires - nasty job, and yes, blood was inevitably spilt Mike! %) Filling holes and sanding down was (fairly!) easy. This was followed, as usual, with a coat of primer to show up the flaws, then a bit more filler and sanding, followed by 3 more coats of primer with finer sanding between each coat. I am happy so far.
If you are a new boy to this kind of fastening, fear naught, as it is relatively easy, providing you do not rush things and ensure there are no 'twists' in the hull shape before applying epoxy.

Next was fitting transom support board and inner and outer gunwales which was a simple process with CA fastening..

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »

Hi again Nemo,

Hope the fingers aren't too painful! Looks like a good job, hull nice and square, things get easier from now on.

A few years back I saw the original first Mirror dinghy (1:1 scale), sail No. 1, exhibited at the National Maritime Museum Falmouth, (see photo), a slice of 20th century social history. The advertising slogan was 'Buy it, Build it, and sail it for under £65'. At the time, 1962, the average annual salary in the UK was £799. Hope the photo brings back memories.

Cheers,

Mike

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

And they are still an active class today, although, £65 wouldn't buy the varnish today!

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 10:36:43 pm »

Hi again Nemo,

Hope the fingers aren't too painful! Looks like a good job, hull nice and square, things get easier from now on.

A few years back I saw the original first Mirror dinghy (1:1 scale), sail No. 1, exhibited at the National Maritime Museum Falmouth, (see photo), a slice of 20th century social history. The advertising slogan was 'Buy it, Build it, and sail it for under £65'. At the time, 1962, the average annual salary in the UK was £799. Hope the photo brings back memories. Cheers,Mike

Thanks Mike, I saw that No.1 at the NMM also. I bought my first Mirror (64002) from a reporter who worked with the Daily Mirror. It was a factory-built boat and brand new when he was given it to do a review of it for the Mirror - the sponsor of the Mirror project. It was so good, he bought it, hoping that his grand-children would enjoy it, but to no avail! He advertised it locally and I got a nice bargain which I towed and sailed all over the country. It would sail with water pouring in over the lee side and rushing out the back whilst I just laughed! Great wee boats.
* The Mirror is 10'10" long because that was the length of Barry Bucknells garage where he built it.

As for this kit - Hmm! I found the parts to be very badly fitting and some required immediate surgery and engineering to get anywhere near the measurements given. I am following the R/C Groups link (above) and the builder of that suggested that his was similar in mine to poor quality and difficulty in fixing. In fact, I have had to cut my own forward bulkheads and foredecks, which, due to their curved shapes and angles, are particularly awkward to make. I spent all today trying to get these parts to fit and so far have installed the afore-mentioned parts, but still struggling with the foredeck. I would not recommend this kit for a beginner!   %)

However, there is nothing a British boy cannot do! O0

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »

Slow progress but getting there. I hope to squeeze the receiver, batteries and rudder servo in the rear box and the sail servo in the forward box with sail control lines led through the forward bulkheads. (Copying others :D)  Flotation test today shows no leaks so I have done something right.!
Hopefully, side decks fitted tomorrow.
Pic !. Yesterday.   Pic.2. Today, showing false sole fitted to cover the ugly centreline tape-joint.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:46:33 pm »

Cracking on!   :-))

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:05:21 pm »

A few more bits plus second varnish, dagger-board/keel and mast completed. Beginning to look the part!  :-))

Nemo in first Mirror 64002 about '84.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 10:39:59 pm »

Painting finished. Next - R/C bits.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 08:43:38 pm »

Slow progress. Sail and rudder servos now fitted. Mast and shrouds (so fine wire you can't see them!) up. First pond test for leaks - none, I am relieved to report. Rudder fitting next then saily bits.  :-))

Laker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Visit Woodspring Model Sailing Club!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:56 pm »

Well done with the build so far - it's an interesting way to build a model.  At the Woodspring model sailing club http://www.woodspringmsc.webeden.co.uk/a number of members have built Mirror dinghies to 1/4 scale in the last few years, so slightly larger than this one.  You can see some pictures of them on our club website.  A set of drawings is available at this scale (although I don't have them myself) and the construction is very much as you have described with copper wire stitching for the hull panels.  The models sail very well from what I have seen - they are able to take a good breeze without shipping water.  There was a thought of racing them in a class but we haven't got enough together at one time to do it yet.  Good luck with yours,
Laker.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 03:17:14 pm »

Thank you Laker for comments, all very interesting. You have some fine models on your lake. The Mirrors have inspired me to find a helmsman now!  :-))
Bob.

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 05:19:33 pm »

can you still buy this model, had a look on osborn models website and not listed ?

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 05:42:43 pm »

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:37 pm »

Too busy for models lately so the Mirror has taken longer than I anticipated. I have built this more or less to my own wants as the manual was hopeless and most parts I made myself also the rigging which I fitted more like the real thing in operation. Just got to join up the mainsheet to its servo and test then off to the pond when these winds moderate. I  Hope to get a video on asap. I used my old sail number from my first Mirror of some 35 years ago.  I can recommend the Lidl test-tank at £12.99  :-))
Bob

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 11:06:05 pm »

Finished it this morning and having rigged it to my own design I was hoping it would give a realistic sail. I took her to our club pond and was pleasantly surprised for the first test sail to have such good results. It tacked and gybed well despite a light and fluky wind and was surprisingly quick when the wind got up. I am well pleased. I managed to conceal the R/C bits in the fore and aft compartments fairly easily and the model now only requires a helmsman. I took a small video with difficulty, holding a camera in one hand and the Tx in the other, but it shows how agile she is. Happy Nemo tonight.  :-))
Bob.
         https://youtu.be/6f1i4E0mqV4
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.