Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal cladding for Springer hull  (Read 4539 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Metal cladding for Springer hull
« on: April 15, 2016, 01:41:58 pm »

I rather fancy cladding part of a Springer hull with sheet metal.  Specifically, a couple of playing-card-size bits of thin brass or copper sheet applied to the lowest area of the hull with a view to making it more resistant to wear and tear at the pond side and in transit.

Can anybody please give me a clue as to whether that's practicable, and if it is, what's the best material to use and the best adhesive to use?  It'll be going straight onto the bare ply.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Metal cladding for Springer hull
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:16:16 pm »

My personal choice would be thin copper sheet because it is malleable and corrosion resistant, and bonded on with Araldite or similar epoxy resin which will also waterproof the area of bare wood beneath the cladding. Thoroughly abrade the metal to give a good keying surface on the metal.

Trevor

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:27:59 pm »

Why not build a complete tin-plate or copper sheet hull?
Simple lines, hammered-over edges using a small-radius wood former and then soft-soldered along the seams. It's probably the simplest hull design available to try this technique.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:31:44 pm »

My personal choice would be thin copper sheet because it is malleable and corrosion resistant, and bonded on with Araldite or similar epoxy resin which will also waterproof the area of bare wood beneath the cladding.

Cheers Trevor.  Do you reckon 0.5mm copper would be OK?

Why not build a complete tin-plate or copper sheet hull?

No workshop and I don't want a metal hull  :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:21:19 pm »

Hi Norman,, I've already done this on my Springer when I built her I didn't see the point in having a cradle, I have a 6mm x 2mm brass strip on the bottom of the skeg linked to the rudder and two 25mm  pieces of the same brass strip on each side of the hull.  :-))

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:33:14 pm »

Gosh, cheers Joe.  I reckon that'd be easier than trying to get sheet on nice and shipshape  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.