Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Beale Park show 2016  (Read 16758 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Beale Park show 2016? ?
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 05:33:58 pm »

Thank you.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 05:43:13 pm »

Just had a look at the "attractions" page, and sadly went no further......rather void and uninspiring with regards to addition of further photographs.

As has been said many times in history, a picture paints a thousand words, and the sheer lack of them in the attractions section certainly wouldn't have inspired me to go in my younger fitter days, but just my humble opinion I suppose.

Whereas I have just looked on the Wicksteed Park site and it's much more colourful and vibrant with more photos too.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 06:23:11 pm »

£10 admission, I don't think so >:-o

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 06:43:14 pm »

To be fair, most model shows seem to be that sort of money these days.... {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »

It's not just a model show, you are paying for entry into a wildlife park. Regardless of whether you want to look around the park or not the opportunity is still there so £10 isn't that bad a deal.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 08:42:51 pm »

It's not just a model show, you are paying for entry into a wildlife park. Regardless of whether you want too look around the park or not the opportunity is still there so £10 isn't that bad a deal.

yes if you are interested in seeing the park. Now the Warwick model boat show is 10 pounds to get in . There are a lot lot more boats and a lot more traders at Warwick for 10 pounds . Make the small beale show look very expensive if you go just for the model boat show. Since this is a model boat forum I would guess most people will go for the Model boat show .

John

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 10:22:53 am »

Beale Park 2016

With my impartial hat on, a few photos from the Beale Park Show 2016.  I reckon about 16 club gazebos stretching almost the full length of the lake, plus quite a few individuals from other clubs.  Each scheduled sailing session saw plenty of boats on the water.

Below a small selection of the many varied ships on display.  Required to arrive an hour before opening to the public marshals directed cars around the lake so we could unload from behind our allocated spots, then more marshals to direct cars back to the car park. I could have left my trolley at home. 
And no, modellers did not have to pay to get in, or to park.

Lots of novelty boats too, including this 14 function dragon.

There were five separate trade stands inside.  Well done to the organisers, only a pity it was the same weekend as another great show.  I am sure both shows would greatly benefit from being a week apart in future.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »

thanks for the pictures posting bobk. i seem to have been volunteered to run beale next year and as i told martin last night first job was to change the date to the first bank holiday in may not the second.

philk

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 02:16:16 pm »

Well done Phil. That makes more sense.....plus the first bank holiday in may has been good weather for the last ten years bar 1. I go to a May for that Weeke d and always get a tan......more so than during our 'summer'!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Beale Park show 2016
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:42 pm »

Good news Phil.  I for one (and probably many others too) am a happy bunny as I will be able to spend two days at Beale plus two days at Wicksteed.  I may even invest in a small tent.  Personally I much prefer the open air lake events to indoor ones with paddling pools, trains and planes.  I sincerely hope we can be positive in encouraging attendance as there are only a finite number of enthusiasts and the work involved in organising a good show is considerable.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 03:42:06 pm »

martin will have to come along to beale not just to see the show but to promote mayhem at wickstead

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 04:03:45 pm »

Im going to be rather blunt so im sorry to those i may or may not offend.

Myself and son, Shipmate60 (Bob) and Dodes (Dave) all travelled to Beale as we have done for the last few years expecting the show to be reinvented and superb like i always remembered it as a kid.
How Disappointed we was from the moment we walked into the pavillion to only see 5 traders and only a couple of people in sight.

We had to really feel for those traders that DID attend expecting YOU the modelling community to help them out and support the show, now i know Mayhem and a few other shows clash on the same weekend but for those that couldnt attend mayhem this show needed YOUR support just as much.

I do hope next year will see a few changes and bring more traders and modellers alike back to this superb venue but this cannot be done i feel without OUR help the modellers who make or break any show.

Rant over with let the few pictures i did take not detract from the negatives.

1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2016, 04:16:16 pm »

Hopefully with the separation of the two shows over two different bank holidays we can both flourish and see numbers of visitors/exhibitors/traders attending greater than before. We shouldn't be competing for the same people when there are fewer shows compared to 10 years ago. If we work together to create this we should all benefit and have an extra show to go to. :-))

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 05:26:14 pm »

If Beale Park can genuinely change to the 1st Bank holiday in May, then that would obviously be an improvement to avoid a clash with Mayhem @ Wicksteed.

And, as it wouldn't clash with Intermodellbau in Dortmund next year (5th to 9th April 2017), then we, as Linkspan Models, would most definitely attend.

However, as Mayhem have supported us in our venture through the years we feel it only right to prioritise Wicksteed for our support on the dates it is traditionally held.

Philk - As soon as you can confirm that the first bank holiday in May is a goer, then we will sign up for it.

Carl n Flo  :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 06:06:05 pm »

I don't see Mayhem and Beale taking many visitors from each other.
They are so far apart and are 2 different types of show.
With the demise of several southern shows Beale should be in a position to attract many more visitors.
There is still a little residue of good feelings towards how Beale used to be but that is slowly evaporating.
It has been discussed on here many times in the past about what would revive this venue so i have no intention of going there.
I just hope Richard will be given the leeway by the Trustees to put on a great show.The venue and location are superb.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2016, 08:40:51 pm »

I don't see Mayhem and Beale taking many visitors from each other.
They are so far apart and are 2 different types of show.
With the demise of several southern shows Beale should be in a position to attract many more visitors.
There is still a little residue of good feelings towards how Beale used to be but that is slowly evaporating.
It has been discussed on here many times in the past about what would revive this venue so i have no intention of going there.
I just hope Richard will be given the leeway by the Trustees to put on a great show.The venue and location are superb.

Bob
OK Bob
They are only 83 m apart less in straight line . Give how far people travel I would not call that far at all
They both have model boats. they both have traders , they both have catering ,
one charges 6 pounds per car the other 10 pounds per adult .
I live a lot closer to Beale than wickstead . In my mind there was only one Show to go to Mayhem and so did a lot of people .
Of course having to shows on the same date with 100m will hit both shows
Beale good will evaporating is there own making . It is well documented in forums . If you want to dredge the past feel free.

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 08:46:26 pm »

Beale Park 2016

With my impartial hat on, a few photos from the Beale Park Show 2016.  I reckon about 16 club gazebo’s stretching almost the full length of the lake, plus quite a few individuals from other clubs.  Each scheduled sailing session saw plenty of boats on the water.

Below a small selection of the many varied ships on display.  Required to arrive an hour before opening to the public marshals directed cars around the lake so we could unload from behind our allocated spots, then more marshals to direct cars back to the car park. I could have left my trolley at home. 
And no, modellers did not have to pay to get in, or to park.

Lots of novelty boats too, including this 14 function dragon.

There were five separate trade stands inside.  Well done to the organisers, only a pity it was the same weekend as another great show.  I am sure both shows would greatly benefit from being a week apart in future.

Bob the comments over admission price was for modellers not exibting at the show having to pay 10 pounds to get in . It was never about people exibting at the show

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 08:52:28 pm »

thanks for the pictures posting bobk. i seem to have been volunteered to run beale next year and as i told martin last night first job was to change the date to the first bank holiday in may not the second.

philk

Philk
If you can do that then you're 1/2 way there to a great show.
Since you will be talking to Beale park over the show . Why not suggest some thing that was done years ago and worked.
Use the side gate near were the life boat use to be and let modellers in there . Have a reduced admission price for modellers.
10 pounds puts you head to head with warwick model show .
Can I ask why the west bank is beaning used  . In the old days it was all ways the east bank

John

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 09:17:20 pm »

Regarding distance, if our Scottish friends can make such an effort to come down to Kettering for the weekend then 83 miles is neither here or there. I would be interested in doing both shows as I can cadge a bed near Silchester. Either way its about a five hour trip for me from Somerset to Kettering and probably an hour less to Reading via Silchester.

All power to your elbow Phil. I wish you well in organising the event and let us all strengthen the hobby by suporting both shows.

I really enjoyed Mayhem and reckon that Beale looks good as well:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 09:33:52 pm »

The problem with Model Boat Shows now is that there are hardly any in the south.
We have lost Weymouth and Midhurst.
I do believe that the same date did "Hurt" both events but marginally as I visited both I didn't see anyone at Beale that I would have expected to see at Wicksteed.
The numbers were down a Wicksteed too but I don't believe due to Beale.
If well organised AND ADVERTISED we will see next year.
Traders are also counting the cost of low attendance at Beale.
Beale used to have lots of traders and was always good for "stock" items.

PhilK, I do wish you well in this event and if it is looking good will certainly attend, no doubt with 2 friends as well.
No-one would be more pleased to see Beale revitalised to its busier former glory. The more model boat shows the better is my attitude and if in the south bonus.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 10:21:43 pm »

I think there are less modellers to go round too. This dilutes attendance at shows which then fail it so is a bit of a vicious circle really. As you get older you feel less inclined to drive long distances, especially if a big part of the trip is around the M25 and the average age of boat modellers continues to inexorably increase.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 10:37:40 pm »

Do you mean the show at the Grange Bob? I know it had moved but I am sure it still continues at the new venue. My old model club were there this year.
Pond weed is your enemy

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 07:17:04 am »

I think Collin has hit it on the head our club is the same to ill or to old to travel .
I was the only one at Beale this time from our club and Ray from Southend club.
Well done to phill and the others  for a good show :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 05:16:46 pm »

Ian,
I thought the Grange show had gone, but even so we don't have any large shows in the South at all.
With Family commitments I cant travel too far so Wicksteed is the exception rather than the rule.
Lots of small single club shows but none of the "big" ones.
Beale used to be the jewel in the crown of southern shows surpassing (in my opinion) even Weymouth.
It seems I go to the southern shows with a well stuffed wallet, (not boasting just no shows to spend in now!) and come away with a well stuffed wallet.
I used to like the traders at the big shows to stock up on major items but now have to use the net.
Yes Alan that is on top of supporting my local model shop!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 05:39:40 pm »

Midhurst missed a year I think during the rebuilding of the Grange Centre but has been back on subsequently although I didn't go this year. Beale was fine until they started messing around with the organisation a few years back and initially making modellers and their families pay full price to attend the show that they themselves were putting on. That did put a lot of people off and it's hard to get attendances back when they start to slip.

The loss of the Brighton show is a big disappointment as it was one of the best all singing all dancing model shows. Perhaps the Midhurst Show will pick up some of the attendees but the Grange site limits the size of the event.

Colin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.