Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronize 43 HX  (Read 4032 times)

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
Electronize 43 HX
« on: May 09, 2016, 10:19:55 am »

Hi All,
 Got one of these units damp and now it runs constantly in one direction, have I killed it (again)?
This is the second Electronize unit to fail me in similar circumstances recently, they have been in my submarine which has been reliable for over 16 years, not bad. I have used Electronize ESC's for years and have found them to be mainly reliable, can anyone tell me what has failed, I know parts can be changed on these units.
Many thanks  17-09

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Electronize 43 HX
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:34:16 am »

You can try taking it apart and scrubbing it with soapy water, then meths or turps or Isopropanol or vodka etc....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

inertia

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:24:01 pm »

Martin's good advice sounds like it's come too late. There's a lot of components inside one of these and hence a lot to go wrong. If the motor runs at a constant speed irrespective of where the throttle stick is then the output FETs are suspect. If the thing will respond to throttle but fails to reverse then it's possibly a relay problem (although I think these are sealed). Your best advice would be to contact Electronize and see how long and how expensive they say a repair will be. DIY repairs are not recommended unless you are totally familiar with the circuit and/or prepared to scrap the unit if you can't fix it. I've tried fixing these and I can promise you that they are an absolute nightmare to reassemble!
If you are unable to keep the inside of your submarine completely dry then I'd advise a waterproof ESC in future. Of those I've handled the Microgyros FR40 is by far and away the best performing and the best value.
Dave M

I just remembered this thread. I wonder if Klunk ever did find anyone to fix his ESC's. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=50630.0

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:39:28 pm »

I had a friend who is an electronics whiz look at them in the end. He could repair them but the parts were more expensive than to go buy a new microgyros fr40. So they are in my spares box along with 4 others now. Eventually I will relook at them and see if I can salvage a couple of good ones out of all of them!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

inertia

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 03:51:27 pm »

17-09
Do you suppose there is a theme emerging here?  8) The only snag is that Mike seems to have dropped off the radar. Does anyone have a current URL for him?
DM

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:17:05 pm »

Thanks everyone, I think it's time to change manufacturers and get a waterproof ESC. Totally forgot about Michael/Microgyros, I was in contact with  him in November after helping out on his stand at Warwick.
Kind  Regards    17-09

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:39:25 pm »

2 knobbly transistors in Electronizes - one does motor power, the other works the relay to give reverse.  A wet Electronize will have gained one of Mother Natures' home made circuits which usually results in one or both transistors switching on.  If its just the motor transistor, it runs continuously, if its the relay operating transistor, it only works in reverse, if both, it runs flat out in reverse. 
Sometimes a blob of something crystalline can be seen - that's the unwanted circuit and can usually be cleaned off as Martin indicated.  Don't use Vodka - it does leave a deposit - save it for later, if the cleaning didn't work.  As long as it didn't cause any other damage, only a test will tell.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:01:12 pm »

Gteed if you do bother to contact Electronise they will simply blame you and not repair it.....They got 4 of mine SOMEWHERE in their workshop/shed LOST in dust.....given up on them now....maybe that's why I use a British company....MMMM now a welsh based one than Inertia used to own(Work it out)....and Have a word with Iain as they as developing something WINK WINK

Dave

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:39:05 pm »

WINK WINK..nudge nudge!?
It must be like Area 51 at MMMM, mmm! Are they allowed to use deadly force if anyone gets near all these secret projects? Sound units, speed controls, I cannot wait ok2
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 05:10:52 pm »

Hi guy's
Thanks for all your replies, I can say that I have "success" %%  The esc was removed from the WTC tube to check your suggestions and it started to operate normally. I then opened it up and inspected everything, then used switch cleaner on the whole unit and reassembled it, all working fine at the moment. It might of course still have a problem but I will test it again,(and make sure I have no water leaks this time). We dive at dawn!
Kind regards  17-09   :-)) :-))

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.