Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/16 Trent Refurb  (Read 16171 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: 1/16 Trent Refurb
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 11:06:54 am »

• I also note the ESC seems to be 'fixed' rigidly in position. I am no expert in this area, but quite a few manufacturers and other electrical experts I know say that both the servos and ESCs should be fixed using the soft [foam] servo type tape so that vibration 'feedback' is kept to a minimum. Please keep us informed.
Kim [C.C.].

There is a lot less need for soft mounting modern electronics as they are no longer so susceptible to vibration. Now that most components are surface mounted to the board  vibration no longer affects them. In electric flight servos are commonly rigidly mounted without the grommets with no problems, even receivers are no longer foam padded, often just held in place with velcro.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:31 am »

Thanks Jim,
I'll balance that against other information received.
Kim

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 11:45:32 pm »

Hi Guys,

Quick update on where I am at with the gearboxes, at this point I was hoping to report that both units were now installed and I was all set for lake trials tomorrow, sad truth is, I have had to revisit the CAD as I based the original unit around the same dimensions of the old motor mount, this was fine in principal, but I failed to realise that the gears on the back now added extra length to the whole assembly, leading to a clash with the prop shaft UJ, it also didn't help that the ESC sticking out the side was clashing on the speaker that hangs down between the motor positions.
Hopefully learning from my mistakes this time, I have shifted the gears and motor away from the propshaft and relocated the ESC, fortunately there is plenty of room between the motor and hull for it to go, I will re-print these in the morning and hope o be down the lake late tomorrow afternoon for trials.

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 12:03:24 am »

Hi Guys,

Managed to get down the lake this afternoon for some trial runs of the new gearboxes and I am calling this a success, manoeuvrability is vastly improved in the harbour, less learner driver lurching through a 3 point turn and more graceful pirouetting on a sixpence  :-))
Out on open water, unbelievably, the top end is still too high, although the sticks are much further advanced than without the gearboxes, there is more speed than the boat can handle, at least not without an active trim tab system to bring the bow back down, it was very pleasant to note though that even with steel on steel gears, the noise was not all that great, I may try a revised version with a lower gear ratio in the future, but for now, I want to concentrate on finishing off the re-wire / LED lighting overhaul.

Video from the lake trials: https://youtu.be/NGtUXKrloxU

Alex

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 09:59:56 am »

Alex,
Those are nice looking units and I'm pleased that you are happy with the end result. The video is a great bit of footage and really shows the realistic wake left behind! Which unit did you use to record it? Finally, that's a nice facility you have there to run your boats around - most impressive. Which Club is it?
Continue to allow us to see your progress, it's helpful.
Kim [C.C.]

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:25 am »

Alex...it is very interesting to try & understand where the source of bulk of the driveline noise is actually attributable

There are some resonances combined with mechanicals and harmonics which are totally understandable

I would suspect that you could near discount the brushless motors ......apart from a higher frequency whine........

One consideration is to lightly coat the pairs of metal gears with an extremely viscous material.....[albeit I say a lubricant] ....more like pitch  :o

I do understand that the initial current consumption even at low RPM will be higher than expected......

If it does not work, Pitch like products are soluble with kerosene....so I think it may be a valued trial  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 01:10:15 pm »

Open gear lubricant  ,Rocol do a aerosol for open gear trains . IT is really  tacky ,or it was when I last used it .
David.
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 01:34:55 pm »

Thanks David....

RTR-Rocol was exactly the thought ....but the obverse must be the question as to the amplification of sound  <*< within a hull ...

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 10:37:18 pm »

Hi Guys,

Replies to your question below:

• Kim - Camera? I am using an old GoPro Hero 2, this is the same camera I record all of my POV stuff with, it is tough & reliable, plus not badly priced these days as now considered, "old hat"
  • Kim - Location? I am a member of Bridlington Model Boat Society, we have a purpose built 80 x 90m lake, which is about waist deep everywhere, a very pleasant place to spend time
  • Derek /David - Lube? The gears had a smearing of propshaft grease on, just to help relieve the metal on metal friction
Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2017, 04:05:11 pm »

Hi Guys,

Have decided to lower the gearbox ratio again, it might be a touch low this time, (but this is based on the gears I have on the shelf) at the moment the setup is:

• 24 / 30 = 0.8 x 9990 = 7992 RPM
New setup:

• 15 / 30 = 0.5 x 9990 = 4995 RPM
Back in CAD I have modified the previous model for the new setup, the advantage of CAD is that you can go back and change things again and again, I have made a short video showing the differences between the two ratios:

https://youtu.be/UPov4cCmOt8

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 11:15:31 pm »

Hi Guys,

No lake testing this weekend, but progress is still being made, been doing some CAD work on the vapor tank as at the moment I am having an issue with vapor coming back through the fan, the fan becomes saturated and refuses to work, it is also proving difficult to efficiently move the vapor along the tubes and out of the exhaust ports, so I am going to try relocating the fans, as well as doubling up for more positive airflow.

I have also been working on the LED refit of the entire boat, most of which is straightforward enough, remove old GOW bulbs and swop in LED replacements, in some instances however, a little more thought is required to achieve the end result I desire, the deck flood lights for instance, these are white metal castings in the original kit, I am retro-fitting 1.8mm LEDs into them, unfortunately, in order to get the bulb to sit properly, the legs need to pass through the body of the light.
Now this is an issue, as white metal, as it's name suggests, is made of metal, metal being conductive causes some issues with electricity, now I could paint / lacquer the legs of the LEDs, but this didn't really look all that neat and I was after a resolution with a bit of finesse, so I opted to model the light in CAD and reproduce them in black resin on my Formlabs SLA printer.. having toys is awesome  :-))
The black resin is great, non-conductive, the lights need to be black anyway and I can make them so that the LED just drops into the new custom body, the photo is a comparison between the original and white metal lights and a first try SLA version, I have since tweaked the dimensions and re-printed a set.

More to come soon

Alex   

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 09:56:19 pm »

Hi Guys,

Had the Trent down the lake in glorious bank holiday sunshine for testing and the new ratio works well, you can now push the throttle all the way forward without fear of the boat wanting to roll over, the top end looks very scale and maneuvering at low speed is a breeze, however, although everyone agreed the top end looked very scale, it's not very exciting as a model boat anymore and I will either be sticking the old ratio back in or a half way house.

Alex

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2018, 01:10:44 pm »

Brilliant I have just got hours of bed time reading !!!
If it floats it's a winner :-)

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 02:14:45 pm »

Hi Guys,

Planning to have the Trent back on the lake this weekend with a small change to the drivetrain, more on this as and when it happens

Alex

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 10:40:42 am »

well I am toying with getting a 3D printer but it's mine field out there!!

If it floats it's a winner :-)

Holger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 04:13:24 pm »

Hoi Alex .. :-) 

Mit großem Interesse habe ich hier gelesen und kann nur WOW sagen .. !!!! hast du jetzt den Rauch- / Wasseraustritt zu deiner Zufriedenheit gelöst .. ?? Hast du ein Bild oder sogar ein Video davon .. ?? Ich finde es ein sehr gutes Gimmick für das Publikum und natürlich für ein Selbst ..

Gruß Holger

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 04:31:29 pm »

Hoi Alex .. :-) 

Mit großem Interesse habe ich hier gelesen und kann nur WOW sagen .. !!!! hast du jetzt den Rauch- / Wasseraustritt zu deiner Zufriedenheit gelöst .. ?? Hast du ein Bild oder sogar ein Video davon .. ?? Ich finde es ein sehr gutes Gimmick für das Publikum und natürlich für ein Selbst ..

Gruß Holger

ahh, that's what it says...………..English please, for the majority of us. thanks.

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 04:37:32 pm »

ahh, that's what it says...………..English please, for the majority of us. thanks.

Running this through Google translate:

Hoi Alex .. With great interest I have read here and can only say WOW .. !!!! have you now solved the smoke / water leakage to your satisfaction .. ?? Do you have a picture or even a video of it .. ?? I find it a very good gimmick for the audience and of course for a self .. Greeting Holger

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 08:32:25 pm »

Hi Holger,

The vapour system still needs more work, as it stands, when the vapour exits the exhausts in the transom, it is too close to the water and dissipates before it really has any impact or is really visible, I plan to go back and try to resolve the issues I am having, but at the moment I am concentrating on a full LED conversion and re-wire.

Here is a bench test video: https://youtu.be/9M_OeXEXtaw

Alex

Hallo Holger,

Das Dampfsystem braucht noch mehr Arbeit, so wie es ist, wenn der Dampf aus den Abgasen im Spiegel austritt, zu nah am Wasser ist und sich auflöst, bevor es wirklich einen Einfluss hat oder wirklich sichtbar ist, ich plane zurückzugehen und es zu versuchen Lösen Sie die Probleme, die ich habe, aber im Moment konzentriere ich mich auf eine vollständige LED-Konvertierung und Neuverkabelung.

Hier ist ein Bench Test Video: https://youtu.be/9M_OeXEXtaw

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 10:37:02 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a recommendation for my Trent, unfortunately the rear railings were a casualty of the house move, I would like to upgrade the stock ones to something more robust, any suggestions?

Alex

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2020, 10:22:01 am »

Oh no! I don’t think there is anything available off the shelf. Best bet is to make new ones from Brass Rod, and maybe some nice 3D printed fittings for where the rails are attached to the kick boards.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 22 queries.