Sales, Wants & TRADERS > Whats in the box?

Laser Cut Cabin Cruiser from Hong Kong

(1/2) > >>

barriew:
A couple of months ago I bought one of those laser cut kits from Hong Kong advertised on Ebay. I bought it as project to build with my 5 year old Grandson. It cost me £15.50 including postage and arrived in about 10 days.
Here are the contents of the parcel - which was well packed, and the 'instructions'. The listing does state that no English instructions are provided.

Barrie

barriew:
The quality of the wood is good, and the laser cutting. There seems to be less burnt wood than with some other kits I have seen. The only slight negative is the material supplied for the skins. It is a very strange consistency. In fact I decided to use some 0.8 mm birch ply for the sides as it was easier to bend around the bow.
A build log is available on another forum if anyone is interested.
Here is the finished model - it has not really been tested on the water as we were troubled with lots of floating blanket weed last Sunday.

BArrie

essex2visuvesi:
I have one of these as well.

What rudder, propshaft and prop did you use?

barriew:
Propshaft was a 2mm from either CMB or Model Boat Bits - bought 2 and cant remember which is in which boat  :embarrassed: Rudder I made myself from brass rod, tube and sheet.
The prop is another story! I wanted to set the shaft angle as shallow as possible for motor clearance, so set it up with a 30 mm prop before I applied the bottom skins. When the model was finished and I was ready to re-install the shaft and prop, I couldn't get the prop on :embarrassed: :embarrassed: I have had to fit a 25 mm prop, but I think it may have contributed to the poor performance on Sunday. I may have to modify the bottom skins to allow me to refit the 30mm. The motor is an MFA 140 on 6 volts.

Barrie

The motor mount is not fixed in this photo

barriew:
E2V

I used the birch ply for the sides for two reasons - one, as I said, to make it easier to fit round the bow ( remember I was working with an impatient 5 year old!). Two as the supplied material is quite thick - 2mm? - and would have sat on the edge of the deck and looked quite ugly. If I were to build this again, or one of his other models, I would reduce the bulkheads by the thickness of the side material so the sides fit under the deck and inside the transom. I actually skinned the transom with 0.8 mm ply.

Barrie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version