Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch build from plans  (Read 3159 times)

frogy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Scratch build from plans
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:04:52 pm »

Hi everyone, firstly hope ive posted this in the right section.
Ive built a few models before and partworks where the instructions are usually present and you can see part A is glued to part B etc but i would really like to progress to 'big boys models' and build from plans but havent a clue how to go about it. Is there a resource somewhere [book, video, website etc] which would explain how to read plans properly, how to transfer the plans to the wood and which tools are best for cutting out as well as other jobs?
Thank you.
Simon

scout

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scratch build from plans
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:38:32 pm »

Hi frogy my advice would be to join a club and you have a good one in Norwich and I am sure you would find someone there to help you Yours Scout
Try sitting on the fence while keeping your ear to the ground

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:57:07 pm »

Welcome aboard Frogy - I agree with Scout ref model boat clubs.

In the meantime, check out the Master Class section - there's a good introduction in there, by Bluebird, of his Fairey Swordsman (a plan for beginners), you will soon be hooked. O0

Regards,

Ray.

frogy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:25:54 am »

thanks for your replies and help. Ive looked at the norwich clubs website and they meet only a few mins up the road from me so will pop up and say hello on sunday.
There seems to be quite a few books on the market too and was going to get one to study but not sure which one to get.
Simon

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 08:50:01 am »

Hi Froggy

Glad to hear you can join a local club. The best source of info you can find.

Regards buying plans. Many of the plans available are graded, beginner to expert. It is definitely worth starting at an appropriate level. I have heard of modellers who have bitten off more than they can chew and then lost heart. Some of the more expert plans have little if any instructions. With that in mind, you might want to build something that someone in your club has already built, so that you can plug into knowledge already learned the hard way. You may also be able to preview some plans to give you a better idea of what to expect from a plan.
I have read complaints on some US model forums that the UK kits and plans can be lacking in useful information.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 09:45:30 am »

Hi good luck with scratch building.  In simple terms you create your own kit!  There is no mystery, you may need some extra tools I really enjoy cutting wood with a good scroll saw.  There are opinions on these in the forum archives.

A good set square for accuracy a 1 metre steel rule, the list goes on, but a flat suitable solid building 'plank' is good.
If you wear varifocal glasses beware of the small angular distortion they have and get a Vee block for reference for right angles.

I use old cornflakes packets to make templates from the plans and test bulkheads by folding along centre line to check accuracy.  With bulkheads you will need to extend the shape to a common point so that they can be positioned correctly in the 3 dimensional shape of the hull.

You might find wood rather expensive but do not use cheap wood / ply, as the saving against the time put into the model is not worth it.  Of course you may be building in plastic etc.
When waterproofing paint both sides of all wood.
I buy fittings as needed.

Review the whole build process to the end.  You will find that there are parts you can build in parallel with the hull etc, this will remove frustration while glue dries.  Check out the glues you will need.

When boat is starting to take shape get or make a scale 'person' to help decide on steps and other small items.
It all does take longer but there is a lot of satisfaction.

If you are really really clever then schedule the construction of each part including estimated time.  Then you can always find a 30 minute job to do.  Or just look for small individual items that will need building.

Plan the installation of any RC and make sure you have access to any item that may need adjusting or replacement. Tiller etc.
I am sure other forum members will find more to say.
Good luck, Roy

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:04:29 am »

Try your local DIY/ Woodyard/ Kitchen fitters for a offcut of kitchen worktop to use as a build board.  It will stay flat, rigid and already has a non stick surface on it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Creativity is contagious, pass it on.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 04:28:58 pm »

Hi frogy

I have sent you a PM

Glyn

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 04:20:16 pm »

If you wear varifocal glasses beware of the small angular distortion they have and get a Vee block for reference for right angles.

More info please
Don't Assume Check

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 06:40:39 pm »

Hi Dougal, I use varifocal lens in my glasses.  The variation in the lens as it comes down from distant vision to close vision produces trapezium distortion.
If you are not sure what this is imagine a rectangle in front of you which is what you are looking at.  Then lengthen the bottom line by say 10%  and retain the side lines which are now, no longer vertical but sloping, this makes the trapezium.

Now your rectangle of vision has to be suoerimposed on this new 4 sided figure and so everything at the bottom is magnified / stretched and so distorted. outwards from the centre when wearing these glasses towards the periphery of your vision.

A few years ago I was assembling a set of 1/2 inch high stanchions wirking quite close up.  When finished I looked at them and saw that the outer stanchions had a gentle slope inwards.
So now I use a Vee block and do not rely on what my brain is telling me.
Hope this helps,
best regards, Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.