Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broomfield model boat club festival of model boating Sept 4th 2016  (Read 3264 times)

No-lifeboatpaul

• Full Mayhemer

This year we are holding our open day in conjunction with the Palmers Green festival , last year there were some 6000 visitors to park on that day  so it should be a busy day at the pondside ! the festival times are from 12.00 till 18.30  , we will have vehicular access to the pond side and should be able to leave our vehicles at the same location untill 18.30  .

The pond is a Victorian model yacht pond with a depth of between 13” to
23” in various places , all types of model boats are welcome thought IC
are not allowed due to local byelaws, but steam is allowed and it would be
nice to have a bit of straight running .
It is a free event of likeminded modellers with no trade stalls allowed ( unless you book in as a trader with the festival organisers ) but you will need  to bring your own tables ,chairs and gazzbo`s. There will be lots of stalls with food and drink at the festival plus a couple of cafes on the main road opposite .

The pond is located in Broomfield park , Aldermans hill , Palmers green ,
North London N13
Looking forward to seeing you there , Paul.
The Southern Model Display Team - London's Top  display team !

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
Re: Broomfield model boat club festival of model boating Sept 4th 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 05:43:04 pm »

hi paul sounds like it going to be a good event :-))

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:57 pm »

That sounds good, will have to dust off some models. Might even have finished my Thames tug by then.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Goldcupper

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:55:55 am »

Yet another venue claiming no IC "due to local byelaws".  Has anyone ever seen any of these mysterious, dare I say spurious, byelaws?

When some jobswuff tells me such guff I always say "prove it" and it's surprising how often they can't.

Martin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 11:07:53 am »

No IC has been in place for over 30 years at Broomfield.

This came about as a result of idiots running boats without silencers and also making a thorough nuisance of themselves by cutting up or crashing into slower craft.

Goldcupper

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:19:51 am »

I've heard modern brushless boats and aircraft just as noisy as IC and just as likely to crash at those speeds.  But of curse it's always the unwelcome ones in any case who spoil it for the others. Maybe it's time for some kind of testing to ensure that silencers are used and owners know how to drive them.  Then they can be allowed in.  After all there are still many thousands of IC flyers and don't forget all the IC powered buggies and race cars.  Why only ban the boats with IC engines.
Jut my luck that having moved away from the Bungay area, they get a club that positively welcomes IC over anything else!

Martin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 03:29:55 pm »

Just a simple case of an irresponsible few fouling it up for the responsible majority.

Brushless boats noisier than unsilenced IC? Sorry not in my experience. Sure a surface piercing prop can make a bit of a row, or if something is badly balanced, but generally speaking fast electrics are fairly benign when it comes to noise.

Basically the IC crowd were making a nuisance of themselves, and that is why they got the red card.

Goldcupper

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 03:38:55 pm »

And is that why the hydros were also thrown out. I see you're North London. I know St. Albans is no longer a hydro pond.

I would assume the troublemakers were not club members?

Although I don't fly I do attend a model flying field because the guys are so much friendlier than any model boat club I ever attended and the brushless flying wing I saw a wee or so ago was easily as noisy as a smallish IC, say a 20 size, with a silencer.  The owner admitted as much.

I just think there hasn't been the same degree of inquest into the "problem" as there was with aircraft (if any) and cars (I know nothing about). 
I use a local river, so there are no such rules.  In fact we once had Miller Agnew running his magnificent OPS powered outboard equipped F1 hulls, 5 of them, racing on a 25 foot wide river, something that had the whole village out for and clapping.  I think it just needs discussion and a few rules where necessary.
Perhaps I'm just not a typical model boater.

Martin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 06:12:53 pm »

Generally speaking most flyers tend to operate outside of build up areas, so no one is likely to be in earshot to moan about any racket. Broomfield Park is surrounded by houses, in a pretty densely populated area.

I'm not a member of Broomfield Model boat Club. I was a member of Broomfield Scale model Ship Society for several years which first came into being around 1984. The club developed a heavy bias towards scale sail in the early '90's, this wasn't my cup of tea, so I moved on.

Prior to the club forming the council were looking to ban model boating from the pond altogether as a result of complaints received.

Anyway I think we should end this discussion here, as it is rather hijacking the original thread.

No-lifeboatpaul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 11:40:05 am »

Just a Reminder that it's our open day this coming Sunday , we did have a big problem with pond weed earlier  this month but now a it's all been removed , but the pond level in places is still a bit low and not really suitable for yacht's with keels.
Full details are on the first post of this topic.
The Southern Model Display Team - London's Top  display team !

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »

Hi All,

My old club, Victoria Model Steamboat Club, still run i/c in Vicky Park, Hackney. They are also famous for their Record breaking Hydros, Flash Steam and i/c. Check out their web site.  Also look at Blackheath MBC on Blackheath common just past the south exit of the Blackwall Tunnel. We used to have great Steam and i/c regattas at St. Albans.
Now I belong to the Fishers Green Sailing Club, Model Boat Section, which is very close to Chingford and only 20 minutes from me in Chigwell.
Lovely club, beautiful waters, Loos,clubhouse, two big lakes, but alas no i/c. (A few steamers though)....They have a website too.

Cheers......Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.