Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Princess - Mahogany runabout build  (Read 18588 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Aeronaut Princess - Mahogany runabout build
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2016, 06:11:49 pm »

Looking good.  The elbow grease and the multiple coats are worth the effort - keep going until you really have the glass-like result.  Everyone will marvel at your finish and want to stroke it.  Look forward to lots of sticky finger marks!  Those who think that a couple of coats of varnish will produce a mirror shine haven't served their apprenticeship - we know it's patience and wet-and-dry that deliver the goods!   :-)) :-))

Greg

hpergm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2016, 07:50:23 pm »

Wow!.... :-))

All appreciation is much appreciated - helps maintain motivation. Thanks.

Looking good.  The elbow grease and the multiple coats are worth the effort - keep going until you really have the glass-like result.  Everyone will marvel at your finish and want to stroke it.  Look forward to lots of sticky finger marks!  Those who think that a couple of coats of varnish will produce a mirror shine haven't served their apprenticeship - we know it's patience and wet-and-dry that deliver the goods! 
Dear Greg - aplty said. Exactly my feelings (after 3 coats of non-mirror finish). {-)

Hector.
I prefer boating to writing!

hpergm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 07:53:35 pm »

OK, and after all components are dry (liquid glass, varnish on the dash) one more trial assy to visualise the end result.
The glass really sets off the realistic illiusion of the instruments, due to the 3D depth it adds to those parts - Which, unfortunately, cannot be captured with the camera (looks better in real life..) {:-{

hpergm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 10:00:21 am »

Every coat of varnish seems to take more and more to dry properly to allow a nice flat sanding.. To accelerate the whole process (summer is upon us), I resorted to the employment of some of the freely available solar energy round here - about 33deg these days outside  %% . So, out the boat goes to bask in the verandah.

This seems to pursuade the latest coat to harden faster - but only after the first day where the boat stays under the makeshift "spray booth" to avoid dust contamination on the tacky surface.. Also shows pretty clear any contamination (speckles, etc) which helps concentrate the next wet&dry attack.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 02:15:42 pm »

:-)) :-))

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2016, 04:28:52 pm »

Great build Hector, I particularly like the gauges on the instrument panel. Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm in the process of finishing my own Princess, I enjoy the build but I'm thoroughly fed up with sanding it .....

Regards,

Arjan

hpergm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 07:54:54 pm »

Hi Arjan,

Thanks - best of luck with your own build.
Mind you, the process of achieving a "mirror" finish on Mahogany verges on the edge of fetishism. Sure needs a mental leap to destroy a fine looking (but not perfect) finish with sanding before banking on high hopes for the next one. I found out I have to leave each coat to cure for 3 weeks before attacking the next. 6 coats in (and several months into the build), I am still not satisfied...

This makes for an interesting read: http://www.defender.com/html/varnish.html

Just to revitalise the thread a bit, I attach a few shots with trial placement of the fittings (aka the "bling") from the 1/10 Amati kit so as to visualise the final result (the varnish experience calls for a moral need a boost now and then... ;) )

BR,
Hector.

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2016, 09:11:11 pm »

Hi Hector, that Amati bling really does look nice ! I think I will try to get my hands on some of those as well, the Aeronaut fittings are very basic and some parts even have mould seams. I wonder if you have thought about a crew already. I found that there are very few 1/8 scale figures around (apart from some outdated 9 inch dolls in Startrek uniforms  :-) ). I opted for these two 9" action figures, they are quite heavy but I think they look the part :

I also don't like the artificial leather supplied by Aeronaut, perhaps I will use real leather instead. I also used balsa wood for the seats instead of the useless foam rubber included in the kit.

Regards,

Arjan

hpergm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 07:49:48 am »

Hi Arjan,

Having been a modeler for the better part of 3 decades, I understand well the leeway this hobby affords to a man seeking to play with dolls. :D

My solution - a raid to the local toy store for a suitably dressed Ken @ 9Eur. After all, the Princess is modelled after an Italian runabout, and you only see those in "expensive" northern lakes. Way I see it, the white tux fits the bill and goes well with the white leather. Maybe also a Barbie with bikini on the sundeck later on just for the laugh of it.

The Mattel figure is about 28cm tall, which would make it about 1/7 scale (OK, this pushes it to a 2m tal full size man, but you are Dutch..). So, a 1/8 scale boat with 1/10 fittings and a 1/7 scale figure... yeah, life ain't perfect but we gotta work with what we have!  %% .

Hope it will not look too rediculous in the end. If it does, then I hand the doll over to my 6yr old daughter and live with a "Ghost" boat (no driver) - no harm done.

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 08:32:26 am »

Hi Hector, perhaps I do have a fetish for figures  ;) . Still, I have always liked figures in all scales and I feel they greatly enhance a model. They add life to a model and give a sense of its scale. "Ghost" boats on the water, especially runabouts look strange to me. A pic of my Lindberg Constellation to illustrate my point, after this one I will stop polluting your thread with my pics  :police: :

Regards,

Arjan

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2019, 09:30:15 pm »

It would be nice to know that you are OK and your boat is completed? 
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

hpergm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2019, 07:57:39 am »

Hi Andy. Thanks for the message and apologies to the thread for letting it go dormant for the better part of 3(!?) years. I am ok but the boat still rests uncompleted; life got in the way (change of job, move, travels) and poor princess got dusty. Still, I was not happy with the finish and bought another finishing system to re-varnish it. I intend to get into it this winter - and will update the thread as appropriate.

Again apologies.
Happy boating to all.
Hector.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2019, 08:36:38 am »

Thanks for replying it’s good to know you are ok  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.