Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam oil  (Read 4469 times)

Brian200943

• Shipmate
Steam oil
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:42:27 pm »

Being new to steam power on the small side I have built the boiler and all pipework and connected it to a single cylinder engine that was built some time in the last 30 years .I have tested the boiler and tested the steam engine all working fine happy now after 12months work. question is I have in the workshop a 1gall. can of Rocol Mulitisol oil  I read somewhere that it was suitable for lubricating the engine through the displacement lubricator all and any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks Sidecarbrian.

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam oil
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:49:22 pm »

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately Rocol Multisol is not at all suitable for use with a steam engine... it is a soluble cutting oil for  use as a coolant in lathe/milling machine work.

Steam oil is a special type of oil which has several constituent parts and can be obtained from here:-

http://www.hallettoil.co.uk/steamoils.htm

For a small engine I would suggest using SCO460C (compound) grade as this is the lightest and most suitable for lower pressure ranges.

Hope this helps.

Alex. :-))

Brian200943

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:08:36 pm »

Thanks for that Ill be ordering some steam oil from them in the near future.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:41:18 pm »

Just to clarify and make sure you get the right stuff, 'Compounded Steam Oil' is intended for systems where the steam is exhausted to atmosphere as in the vast number of marine models or locomotives. Thus the 'C' suffix after 'SCO460'. (SCO = Steam Cylinder Oil, by the way.)

'Non-compounded' or 'Straight' steam oils are for systems where the steam condensate is recovered for recirculation. These oils drop the 'C' suffix from the name, e.g. SCO460.

Barry M

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 11:24:33 pm »

'Non-compounded' or 'Straight' steam oils are for systems where the steam condensate is recovered for recirculation. These oils drop the 'C' suffix from the name, e.g. SCO460.

Barry M

Quite correct Barry M, however it should be remembered that the recovered condensate cannot be returned to the boiler until all the oil has been separated from it using special filtration systems... which is not a simple task, especially in a model.

The last thing you want in a boiler is oil hence the filtration requirements are quite stringent and it is generally a slowish process.

For the largest majority of our model steam requirements the Compounded oil should be used.

Keep Happy.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:44:47 am »

Alex,

My post was intended to give some advice to a beginner in steam and point out the differences in cylinder oils. When ordering oil, it is as well to know what you want and avoid costly mistakes.

As I have mentioned, the vast majority of modellers will be using a total loss system where exhaust is to atmosphere. If there are any steam models out there that do recover the condensate then I suspect the operators know all about the problems oil poses for a boiler.

Given the above, there was also no point in going into filtration systems which 99.9% of modellers will never use. A “slowish” process? I suppose it depends on your concept of time. Full size practice usually employs filters between the hotwell and feed pumps; smaller craft filter the hotwell returns. Heating-coil returns are typically filtered at the hotwell, also.

Brian,

I can vouch that Hallett’s oils are good quality but watch out for the carriage cost. I have just bought 5 litres of non-compounded oil from them for non-model use and the cost was £17.50 but carriage pushed this up to £36! There are several suppliers catering for the steam modeller by providing cylinder oil in small quantities and you may find these more economical. If you need names, just ask.

Barry M

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »

Alex,

My post was intended to give some advice to a beginner in steam and point out the differences in cylinder oils. When ordering oil, it is as well to know what you want and avoid costly mistakes.

Hi Barry,

I understand fully why you made your original post and applaud you for it.
We are both trying to help and guide a beginner... hence my suggestion for using the SCO460C compounded oil... perhaps I should have explained why.

As I have mentioned, the vast majority of modellers will be using a total loss system where exhaust is to atmosphere. If there are any steam models out there that do recover the condensate then I suspect the operators know all about the problems oil poses for a boiler.

Agreed, however the wording of your response: -

"Non-compounded' or 'Straight' steam oils are for systems where the steam condensate is recovered for recirculation"

Could be taken, by a beginner, to imply that the condensate could be simply recirculated to the boiler without any issues... clearly this is not the case... hence my adding the note regarding filtration being necessary.

Given the above, there was also no point in going into filtration systems which 99.9% of modellers will never use. A “slowish” process? I suppose it depends on your concept of time. Full size practice usually employs filters between the hotwell and feed pumps; smaller craft filter the hotwell returns. Heating-coil returns are typically filtered at the hotwell, also.

Brian,

As an ex-professional steam engineer I am fully aware of the methods utilised for filtration in the full size world... most of which would not readily lend themselves to model use.

I can vouch that Hallett’s oils are good quality but watch out for the carriage cost. I have just bought 5 litres of non-compounded oil from them for non-model use and the cost was £17.50 but carriage pushed this up to £36! There are several suppliers catering for the steam modeller by providing cylinder oil in small quantities and you may find these more economical. If you need names, just ask.

Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:32:16 pm »

Alex,
You appear to be labouring the points to the Nth degree and finding problems where none exist and so I won't bother with any further reply to you.

Barry M (DoT First Class Engineer - Steam & Motor Combined Certificate - and still practising.)

AlexC

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »

Suit yourself Barry, I won't be loosing any sleep.

Perhaps I should remind you that a mere 20 months ago you were not entirely sure about the 3 bar/litre rule and asked me to qualify it for you... which I did.

Now that you have a couple of qualifications under your belt you appear to think nothing you say can be faulted in any way, when all I have done is expand a little on your statement so that a beginner can benefit more fully.
It is no more than you did yourself with your first post expanding on the SCO460C... did I complain ?... no.

So, is it all right for you to expand on what someone else has said but not alright for someone to expand on something you have said?... if so then that is a little arrogant.

How some people change.

Alex. (City and Guilds Level 6 Graduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering).

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 07:02:23 pm »

See my reply No. 7

DELAUNAY

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:37 am »

:-) Hello ;
I'm from the south of France, and I use long oil Olive (normal it is local and organic), never had a problem and it does not pollute water bodies. The more ... the smell of hot oil that opens appetite. {-)
With humor, but I use it anyway%)

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 06:32:35 pm »

:-) Hello ;
I'm from the south of France, and I use long oil Olive (normal it is local and organic), never had a problem and it does not pollute water bodies. The more ... the smell of hot oil that opens appetite. {-)
With humor, but I use it anyway%)
Olive oil is not a substitute for Steam Oil it may work with very wet steam, but with very wet steam I have seen even full size engines run without any oil atoll. For any engine that has dryer steam you need an oil with tallow or its equivalent in it.
here is a link to an good article The Truth about Steam Oil by Harry Wade
http://southernsteamtrains.com/misc/steam-oil-hwade.htm
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

GreenSteam

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 02:59:35 pm »

Interesting thread.

Subscribed.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »

If ya haven't got long needles, then float your oil to the top .......just like the Arabs >>:-(...

[sorry...gentlemen from Arabia...or Phillistine Land......]  {-)..

Funny how it changes its hue with a little light.............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.