Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69365 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2017, 10:42:17 pm »

I like the look of your workshop as well Brian. Great progress.
Pond weed is your enemy

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2017, 12:52:52 am »

Coming along nicely Brian, going to be a mighty impressive model when finished. Look forward to next update.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2017, 08:36:23 am »

Cheers for the encouragement guys, but Ian, workshop? {-) {-) This is my wife's crafts room, I'm allowed a small bench in the corner. Inevitably as happens I kind of 'spread' out a bit. It's when she comes in to paint a watercolour or something else unfathomable to us blokes and looks like <*< <*< that I reign in my stuff and move back into the corner :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2017, 01:52:20 pm »

Cripes! I am glad I didn't call it your 'Man cave'! We might both have got into trouble  :embarrassed: I have almost that many brushes so thought you might have a goodly number for adding details and effects.

Whatever the apportion of space, it looks just right for decent model making especially with that lovely sunshine:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2017, 07:19:24 pm »

It's looking really good with the primer and paint on!  Very impressive hull.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2017, 05:50:32 pm »

Well its been a while and truth be told, I have on more than one occasion almost dumped the lot and given up. First off the daughterboat hangar. I have completely redone this, I am not a watchmaker and don't have the skills, so I gave up on attempting to get all the wheels to turn for launching/recovering the craft, I have another idea in mind that I can't yet reveal until it is installed in the main hull....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2017, 05:54:34 pm »

So each pair of wheels do turn on the bogeys, but they are freewheeling now.

Next up were the motors for the hangar doors, these are stepper motors which have problems all of their own. I had to take out the shaft of one to turn the slider part of the linear track around so it was on the other side. Of course I lost a ball bearing which meant I had to re-order one from yes, China, 5 weeks on I am still waiting, so I can get the hangar finally assembled and installed. As you can see the bearing is minute and couldn't be found on the floor.

More update to follow after mealtime :)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2017, 06:15:41 pm »

OK to carry on. The stern tunnel thrusters. I built two right angled drive units for them, only to find they were too long to go into the tubes without hanging out the ends >>:-( <:( , at least I can use them on the bow thruster tubes. After much wasted time I have gone with direct drive of the props via brushless motors which will run underwater, how exactly the electrical terminals and bearings (supposedly sealed) will bear up to this only time will tell. Which brought up another problem, I ordered some motors from Hobbyking only to find even after careful measurement, that they wouldn't allow too much waterflow {:-{ So I re ordered smaller units. Bear in mind that ordering from Holland to Spain can take 2-3 weeks and another 6 weeks of waiting/down time.

The new smaller motor with prop attached, I'm still not 100% convinced this is the way forward and might change my mind yet.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 06:22:25 pm »

The raised stern deck is finished apart from fastening it into place. I can't do this until the launch hanger for the daughterboat is bonded in. But I have finished the cut outs at each side and put the weathertight doors and fire monitors into place, all ready for paint.

I actually found out during this period that after calling them watertight doors for years, I am wrong! There is a difference between watertight and weathertight doors although they look the same. Weathertight doors can be fitted to openings above waterline (LWL) but below it all doors have to rated as watertight.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »

Also at the stern on the starboard side are two uplift doors, the rearmost is to deploy the oil spill recovery skimmer, this is operable on my boat and as will be the recovery float. The one next to it is for launching the ROV, this is fixed down.

So between getting deeply involved in arduino sketches (operating code) I have been lately working on the lifting door for this part of the build. So far I have redone the hinge parts 3 times and they still won't operate. I had no real drawing that I could take measurement from, just an artist sketch and a photo. The real world hinge certaintly won't work in the model for sure! I cannot get the hinge to swing the door clear of the hull, it catches/seizes in the top of the recess, but I will plug on...

The photo shows the door partially completed - still more bracing to add to the inside. The hinge pivot can be seen with gear drive that will engage a similar one on a micro servo, which I have gutted to leave the motor and drive gear so it is continuous rotation. forward and backward drive of the motor is done by arduino.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 06:37:04 pm »

Lastly for now, this is what your workbench looks like after weeks of being p****d off with everything and wanting to dump it all. To add icing to the cake, my trusty Ryobi wore out its motor brushes just after xmas. I ordered new ones which were not OE, they were fine and have lasted oooh lets see, 5 weeks :(( they went again over the weekend. Fortunately I had in the meantime bought another drill, same model but it just doesn't feel the same in the hand.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:20 pm »

These models do seem to be an emotional roller coaster ride to build. I like your hinges and the reinforcement frame with all those lightening holes. That is dedication to the cause  :-))

I look forward (as I am sure you are) to see the various mechanisms working.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2017, 06:38:07 pm »

Let's do some more  ;)

The starboard hangar door now complete with all its internal bracing in place. Along with two of the four mounting hinges, I just couldn't find anything commercial to the right size. So after the first attempt where I used some photoetch which turned into an epic fail, I made some more out of thicker brass strip. These are now bonded to the door but the door is still waiting to go into the hull

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »

Next up the stern hangar is now bonded into the hull and some internal detailing is being added to what now becomes the starboard hangar. I've included a couple of photo's of the starboard door mocked into place to show how it is in operation.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2017, 06:46:20 pm »

This first photo shows the stern hangar in place with the rudder servo's on their mounting plate (along with some other electrical stuff, the escs are for the aft thrusters under the hangar) I've shown this so that you can see the minimal space I have to work with. On the left/starboard side I have to get the hangar deck in and also drive motors underneath it.

The next photo's are for the oil spill recovery syphon equipment. Built in black styrene -I had ordered white but on arrival I also had an email to say they had no white in stock so substituted black! All parts drawn in Coreldraw and then cut out on the laser cutter.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2017, 06:49:44 pm »

The idea with this boom was that it would swing out, raise up and down and deploy the hose. Trouble is at this scale I have found those operations just won't fit in the space available, so I am just having it pivot outwards when the door lifts. The decking is covered with treadplate pattern and can be bought from ebay in sheets down as small as 1:144 %%

SO more photo's as it has developed, the lettering was done with decal sheet in the laser printer, these give far superior results to inkjets printers and for the small additional cost are worth buying.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »

It's supposed to look like this so I reckon I have a reasonable facsimile..

Why you ask have I completed this now. Well the deck needs to be bonded into place - yes I can't get at anything underneath it once it is! But before I could do so, the drive mechanism for the recovery equipment had to be mounted and to do this the jib had to be built - just another of those hurdles that have become the norm in this build.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2017, 07:00:48 pm »

Oh I should also have pointed out that this bay along with the equipment is getting suitable 'weathered' to simulate it has been in oilspill recovery operations - I doubt the real thing will ever be used in anger, its just part of Norwegian safety regs for ships operating in arctic waters.

So to finish this update, the bow doors used when mooring to dockside - eventually both sides will open close and deckhands will pop out, one is shown statically for now.

Oh yes, its still primered no blue colour in place yet, I'm still finding minor blemishes to fill and sand...

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2017, 09:19:42 pm »

Very interesting to follow this build, keep it up!
Hama

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2017, 10:03:33 pm »

Well now, that's quite a detailed update Brian. This build, along with all the electrical gizmo's, is definitely not for those who would give in easily.
When frustrations set in - walk away - come back to it with a refreshed mind. I feel certain you will bring this project to a satisfactory  conclusion. :-)

By the way, the "oily weathering" on the recovery unit looks fantastic !  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2017, 07:42:11 am »

Nice work on the door structure and the boom.

:-)) :-)) :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2017, 10:13:16 am »

I set aside 12 months for this model start to finish, I'm into month 14 I think and seem to be no further on then I started ( I know I'm not and have made progress) It's now looking like a 2 year job before I see the end, I'm even beginning a 'pond yacht' just for the depression periods* to keep me going  :embarrassed:

*times when you just can't face looking at it anymore :}

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2017, 12:14:24 pm »

don't forget to add the hose - surprised its square section on the AutoCAD drawing.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2017, 04:49:26 pm »

don't forget to add the hose - surprised its square section on the AutoCAD drawing.

Its square section on the actual equipment as well - well almost, like a rectangle with puffed out sidewalls.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2017, 10:29:16 am »

EDIT: the hose is rectangular because it also has inside electrical cabling for the propulsion units on the recovery head as well has the suction hose. Two photo's one of it recovering oil and the second to show just how large it is. In the hangar there is a guy leaning against it at the top right of the photo

OK a fairly repetitive update with a couple videos thrown in as well.....
First model photo is the boom in place without the door, more of which later, its been shown before but now the lighting for the hangar is installed, I'll do these again when it is darker so the lighting is better. So a video  :} I have finally got all of the electronic components together and I am currently programming an Arduino board to take care of all the boom movements and door opening sequences for me. This is the boom operating, notice the noise, this is what happens when you slow down a servo so much, it is moving by degree rather than sweeping fully. It is also moving not from its centre park position which is normal for a servo, but the arduino has it begin at one end in this case 180 degrees and sweep fully back to 80 degrees to get enough movement out of the servo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vccru5e7Tj0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.