Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel  (Read 69412 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Stril Barents- a Multi role vessel
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2018, 08:13:01 pm »

Very worth it Brian. That is a beautiful subassembly. The exhausts look quite steam punk  :} There isn't one bit of that which isn't first rate in execution and the figures look good as well. My tip for figures is: The smaller they are less becomes more. Using a wash on the face will add creases and eye shading that we would add with highlights and shading on larger figures, but still looks as effective.

:-)) :-)) :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2018, 06:35:51 am »

A question regarding your acrylic paints: Are the fairly opaque?
I've tried some acrylics through my airbrush several times and found that some of the colours tended to 'multiply' with each layer – resulting in a much darker colour than wanted. do brass and fibreglass need any special preparation for the vallejo paints.
And – do you clean the airbrush with the thinners or just with water?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2018, 09:30:49 am »

Very worth it Brian. That is a beautiful subassembly. The exhausts look quite steam punk  :} There isn't one bit of that which isn't first rate in execution and the figures look good as well. My tip for figures is: The smaller they are less becomes more. Using a wash on the face will add creases and eye shading that we would add with highlights and shading on larger figures, but still looks as effective.

:-)) :-)) :-))
Certainly figures at this scale are difficult Ian, I'll give your idea of a wash a try, up to now I've been dry brushing highlights, which isn't really effective this small.
A question regarding your acrylic paints: Are the fairly opaque?
I've tried some acrylics through my airbrush several times and found that some of the colours tended to 'multiply' with each layer – resulting in a much darker colour than wanted. do brass and fibreglass need any special preparation for the vallejo paints.
And – do you clean the airbrush with the thinners or just with water?
They are very opaque Steve, when brushed they cover in one coat much better than the alternative Humbrol enamels which seem to have lost pigment over the last few years. When airbrushed usually one sometimes two applications is more than enough with most of the colour range, but yellows are difficult, white is easy. For anything a primer is a must to get them to adhere and stay stuck! The tan you see here is their 'Desert Sand' primer, it comes in various colours, black, grey, white and several colours. It is a water based polyurethane. They suggest 24 hour curing period to allow proper adhesion to metals and plastics - I have in the past cut corners and tried after 4 hours but it peels off, so 24 hours it is. All I do for preparation is what should normally be done, scuff the surface with a 1000 grit wet/dry paper than wipe over, I use methylated spirit so it evaporates quickly.
As I mentioned the one drawback is they are water resistant when dry, not waterproof. So when the job is finished I spray their polyurthane satin clear over to seal the paint, leave that for 24 hours and then use the only Humbrol product in my collection now - Satin Cote clear enamel so that it is completely waterproof.  You could use Tamiya or Testors or one of the other enamels as a clear coat, its just that Humbrol is the only enamel available to me.
AS A FOOTNOTE....  Vallejo do several paint ranges, ModelAir which is formulated for direct airbrushing, I can't get on with this at all. ModelColor which is intended for brushing, but with dilution can be airbrushed, this is my go to paint but you have to experiment with dilution depending on how hot it is where you reside! Then ModelPremium, this is their top of the line paint intended for airbrushing only, it is said to have superior pigments giving great colour coverage, I've yet to try this one so can't comment on it.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2018, 08:12:37 pm »

A drybrush over the wash may well add more depth still! I think the figures do look pretty good as they are though.
Pond weed is your enemy

RST

« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2018, 09:20:43 pm »

The actual mast has been added again in brass tube with a single led at the top, along with several leds which will actually be painted over and not used as leds on the top wing
...possibly "Fleet" and various DGPS / GMDSS type antennas if it's like what I've dealt with before.  If I can feed your obsession there should perheps be a laser positioning lantern (fanbeam if they still use it these days rather than rent it each time) also plenty of CCTV cameras.
Your depiction of the bridge is brilliant.  May I add one thing?  I assume the real vessel would have "clear view" connonotation acording to DNV / Loyds etc.  That means a panoramic view all aroud the bridge.  My experience is the first thing the guys organise of their own devices on DSV's and some offshore vessels is a very heavy set of black-out curtains separating the front and aft halfs of the bridge.  When your sailing out, light and reflections from the back are a big distraction, particularly when pilot onboard.  When you're on DP everything is open of course.
...I wouldn't put too many people on deck also.  You'd be surprised how few folk these days man the vessels.  And I was shocked when I was offshore on DSV'sjust how few folk inside were interested in getting "fresh air" during their tours.  Most folk never went on-deck in a 30 day tour -captain only comes out on the bridge wings pretty much when port calls require dockings! -6-8 riggers / A/B's on the back deck, that's probably about it.
Watching in envy,

Rich

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2018, 12:43:47 pm »

Cheers for the answers Rich. The blackout curtains can be seen in this photo of the actual ships bridge, I decided not to add them on the model, the windows being 1:72 means its likely most won't even see the inside as they are only 20mm or so! I only add the crew in strategic places as people can relate to them when considering the overall size of the model compared to real life, but I take on board what you say!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2018, 03:41:59 pm »

Ooohhh 28 thousand views - lets do a quick update to celebrate :embarrassed:

The electronics/motor room and mast assembly is now complete and painted. The paint has been oversprayed with Vallejo acrylic varnish and then a couple of coats of Humbrol clear enamel just to make sure it is waterproofed! SO the first photos are of the finished article. All the floodlights are in place, but until the wiring is connected I won't know if there is enough paint on the castings to make them light tight or if I will have to do some touching up on them.
I oversprayed the exhausts, originally I had done them in metal cote steel, too dark, then I oversprayed those in silver, this was light enough but still didn't match the photos I had, The originals are a kind of burn't stainless steel colour, so I gave them a light coat of metal cote gold, this is as close as I could get.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2018, 03:48:35 pm »

The bridge is in final paint but still needs several more coats of Humbrol clear to seal it all. It also still needs all the handrail and other 'accoutrements' adding to it once the mast assembly has been bonded in place. The windows in these photos are covered in liquid mask which is a silicone solution, paint it on and let it dry and then paint. Once the paint is dry it just peels off, supposedly leaving a clean edge, we'll see how much needs to be touched up with paint when it comes off, for now it is there until the full assembly is done.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2018, 03:49:56 pm »

Assemble and glue into place Part A, the electronics/motor room and mast assembly on to the roof of the bridge structure Part B......

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2018, 03:54:33 pm »

Hmmm. only after all the wiring has been soldered together and tested  :}
Which is the point I am at now. So next update hopefully will include photos of the lights working etc etc, but to give some context of the entire wiring upto now....there are so far 30 Floodlights, 4 floodlights in the various hangar spaces, 41 fluourescent lights - I could add another 20 but I'm not a masochist - honest :embarrassed: 14 optical fibres to the bridge and 3 searchlights. Should be lit up like a xmas tree when its all finished...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2018, 07:04:14 pm »

The exhausts look realistic Brian. There is an implied hot metal look to them and the soot looks just right.

Congratulations on your mammoth number of views! Well deserved going by the journey you have been on.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: September 27, 2018, 08:25:36 am »

Nothing much over the last couple weeks, my father being admitted to intensive care and subsequent death meant an unscheduled holiday back in the UK.
But I am back on it now after returning home so there should be an update quite soon.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #262 on: September 28, 2018, 08:13:14 am »

My condolences on the passing of your father, Brian.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #263 on: September 28, 2018, 09:50:22 am »

Likewise, sorry to here of your loss.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2018, 02:18:31 pm »

Well to say I've had trouble getting back into this is definitely an understatement. But this is what I've been up to so far, basically trying to complete the bridge. I've been cutting and drilling the stanchions by hand again using the jig I made months ago, the roof so far has another 96 of these now done and in place.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2018, 02:22:54 pm »

I've added the satellite domes, still two large ones to go. The masking as can be seen is partially removed from the window glass, but some touching up around the frames is still required as can be seen in the photos. I'm currently finishing off the handrail and a companionway ladder down from the roof, its intensive work so I only spend 15 to 30 minutes at a time on it before taking a break. So hopefully in the next week or two we will be back to more interesting stuff.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2018, 10:54:13 am »

I was saving these for the next update in a week or so, but lets get rid of them now. Just a couple with the bridge in place to show how the finished ship is going to be. All the railings on the bridge almost complete, I have to work down the companionway and then add paint to that part, also touch up a myriad of places that really do look rough after manhandling for the last few months. Window glass is another problem, it has misted over in places from the cyano fumes, even though I used a canopy (aircraft) specific one just for this purpose.
The major problem and I think I mentioned it elsewhere, is that the bridge deck seems to have sunk in the centre leaving a gap along the sides, as demonstrated in the edge of the rule I'm holding. I reckon I have a fix for it, but I'll show it next time in case it fails, then I'll be asking for suggestions - short of removing this deck and replacing!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2018, 02:00:03 pm »

OK so how did I sort out the deck subsidence? First of all I clamped a square tube of aluminium to the top side, the clamps pulling the deck upwards at strategic points.. photo 1.
In the meantime I had some U channel thinwall steel strip, 10mm by 5mm. I cut down and planed some timber to fit the groove of it and then bonded them together with epoxy. Two days later I removed the aluminium tubing and it had almost pulled the deck back. So pva glue smeared on the timber of the steel U channel and this was inserted inside the underdeck and again pulled up using the clamps and aluminium tube and left in place for 24 hours, then I did the opposite side of the deck leaving it almost level.
Some sanding took place removing a lot of the green deck paint, a smearing of filler added and more sanding.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2018, 02:06:22 pm »

Placing the superstructure on to it showed there is still a little gap, so I glued some mahogany strip I had lying about around the periphery  of the superstructure. Then with some sanding, trying the fit and then more sanding, I worked my way around the superstructure to achieve an almost gapless finish.
This has taught me a lesson. When you cut a hole in something and want it to remain flat, make sure you reinforce its edges as soon as possible!
The annoyance now is that I have to repaint much of the superstructure instead of touching up small parts of it. You will see this in the closeup's shown here. Also there seems to be many antenna's on this ship for some reason, you can see some of them in this photo's, I have elected to add 16 but from the pictures I have there are around 30 in total.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2018, 02:20:20 pm »

That is 16 antenna's not including the various sat domes! The railings on this part are also complete now. So I have just another 68 to make for the bridge deck itself and that is them complete. Here's a couple photos to show how I make them. First using the jig to chain drill holes in each edge of a strip of brass sheet. Then cut these oversize on the bandsaw. Then finally sand down to correct width on the Proxxon disk sander.
Finally cut to length and solder to rails These are 4 rail stanchions so I cut them off between the 5 and 6 holes. the top hole is sanded away so its a half moon shape in the stanchion, the first rail sits in this. Then count down 3 holes for the next 3 rails. The 5th hole is the deck level, so the short piece below this is sanded to a 1mm pin, including sanding away the 4th hole, this inserts into the deck. Hope this is a clear description.
So for now I'll finish with these 3 photo's to show what a bruiser the front of this ship looks like. Next update the deck should be done and I will be moving on to building the daughtercraft for the stern hangar and the fast rescue craft for the port side front hangar.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: November 11, 2018, 02:48:06 pm »

On second thoughts, I just made this jpeg for further explanation. The jig for the stanchions is made with a drill press and an attached wooden base, The drill bit is lowered and a mark made on the surface. to the left (or the right) side of this mark you knock in a pin the same diameter as the drill bit. In my case it was .75mm, it is spaced from the drill bit the distance between the rails, in my case 4mm. There is also a runner behind the pin and the drill bit to keep the brass running parallel, this should be just over half the width of your stanchion to allow for clean up afterwards (remember the disk sander?) The brass is then run up against the pin and a hole drilled. The brass sheet is then lifted so that the hole drops over the pin and your next hole drilled, repeat this process over and over and you end up with a strip of perfectly spaced holes.
The second diagram on the jpeg explains what I mean in the trimming of the individual stanchions so that they are all the same length when inserted into the deck.

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: November 11, 2018, 06:54:41 pm »

Great work Brian :-)) Is the plywood affixed with something to the table of the sander?I have the same tool and know too well how it has an appetite to swallow thin items if you don't use additional support.

Regards

Nigel

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #272 on: November 11, 2018, 07:13:08 pm »

I do both Nigel, I have a plywood base that I can use as a jig base on the dremel stand, in the photo you can see that I also use drill bits that come in various sizes for drilling pcb's (has a coloured plastic collar)- check them out on ebay (pcb drills) I use these because they are really stiff and don't wander on the workpiece surface. Of course you can't use them free hand in a mini drill as any and I mean any slightest sideways deflection on the material means they snap! Direct up down pressure only.
As to the sander, I use a piece of 5mm plywood, I butt it up tightly to the sanding disk, clamp it in place to the tilt bed and then turn on the sander. The disk will obviously sand away some of the ply but crucially leaves the minimum gap for parts to be dragged downwards by the disk when in motion.

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: November 11, 2018, 07:23:28 pm »

Brian I have used the carbide PCB drills on my static models down to 0.15mm!I only use them in the proxxon mill as like you say,they are prone to snapping if you use them in a hand supported machine.

Regards

Nigel

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2018, 07:30:12 pm »

Yes, I bought some 0.4mm from China (AliExpress) advertised for slotting aluminium. The reality was you couldn't slot a sheet of cardboard with them unless of course you wanted them to snap! I put it down to the Chinese not knowing the difference between drills, endmills and slotting drills %% {-)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.