Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joysway Focus 2  (Read 9427 times)

Rozey

• Shipmate
  • kyosho Seawind and Joysway Focus 2 (8812 model).
Joysway Focus 2
« on: June 17, 2016, 09:29:41 pm »

I recently purchased the Joysway Focus 2 (8822 model) which was released some time in May 2016. I bought this boat purely on looks and its high sail profile. I believe it's the first one imported into South Africa. Really a super boat to sail and it's very well made. The only thing that needs to be improved is the cover (hatch plate) which is a simple stick on piece of plastic, that needs to be removed each time you want to charge the battery. I have modified the hatch to a Perspex sliding hatch which is an improvement on the original design. I have searched the web for any feedback regarding this model and the only post I have come across is two Focus 2 models sailing against each other, on YouTube that was posted 3 months prior to its release date. Has anybody else seen any info regarding this model
I sail with Gauteng Model Boat Club (GMBC) the RC yachting division currently has 17 active members and growing each month. We meet almost every weekend and some Wednesday's "golf day" as well. Working is for people that don't know how to RC sail.

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
Re: Joysway Focus 2
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:45:30 pm »

I took delivery of a new Joysway Focus 2 today.  The box says it's the 8812 model.  Is there really a 8822 model now?  I haven't seen mention of it anywhere except in your post (above).

I found two more Youtube views of this yacht, both posted by Ron (of Predator Racing, Tasmania).  It looks as though he, too, had quarrels with Joysway's fablon-type cover for the battery+receiver hatch - he's made his own perspex cover and stuck it on with tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h8VNs6duMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMr1v4EXy7E

I'll probably do something similar with mine.  Assuming I ever get it all assembled and ready for the water, that is.  I've sailed in full-size boats a few decades ago, but I'm totally new to remote, radio-controlled sailing.
Brian
4½ static model ships built so far.  All from kits, except the one in my avatar.

Rozey

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:22:47 pm »

Hi Brian, you are quite correct, it is a Focus 8812. I really enjoy the balance of this model in light and strong wind. It is an improvement on the Focus 1 which I have also sailed. Besides the hatch cover that I modified, I found that the main sail boom should have been 20 mm longer to cater for a flatter sail adjustment which I added on myself. I recently read that another Focus owner made the same adjustment which confirms that it's not just my pedantic attention to detail that I thought it not worth mentioning until I saw that someone else noticed the lack of boom length. I'm sure you will enjoy your new acquisition as I am.
I sail with Gauteng Model Boat Club (GMBC) the RC yachting division currently has 17 active members and growing each month. We meet almost every weekend and some Wednesday's "golf day" as well. Working is for people that don't know how to RC sail.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 09:53:00 am »

Hi Rozey, could you post a couple of photos of your hatch mod?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Rozey

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 11:54:45 am »

Send me your email addy. I have no idea how to upload pics onto this site.

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 05:56:19 pm »

OK, just trying to see if I can post pictures here.
This is my Focus II, now assembled and ready to get wet.  Can't launch her yet though - we've got a few family get-togethers in the next couple of weeks.
I'm hoping I'll be able to post pics - or even a video - when it happens.

Brian
4½ static model ships built so far.  All from kits, except the one in my avatar.

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:04:46 pm »

It worked!
Rozey, it doesn't seem too hard to post a pic here.  Basically, you upload one of your pics to a picture-hosting website, then wait for it to give you a http:// address that points to it.  The website I used was:
http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

Then you 'copy' the http address and 'paste' it into your message.
Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 11:35:48 am »

Hi Rozey, could you post a couple of photos of your hatch mod?   :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 05:47:36 pm »

Rozey, that deck eye in your photo (port side, by the forward edge of your hatch cover).  Is it firmly fixed?  The one on my yacht is very loose - rides up & down, and twists severely when tension is put on the mainsheet.
It's probably a simple matter to tighten it, but I think I'd have to remove the servo tray to get at it under the deck.  And at this stage I don't want to do any work that might invalidate any guarantee, in case I have to send it back to the shop where I bought it.
I wondered if you've found out how those deck eyes are anchored?  Are they just screwed into the plastic?  Or is there a thread for a nut on the under-deck part of the eye?
Brian

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 05:54:18 pm »

If they are like the joysway dragonforce
and are set in dimples in the deck, then
all of the dragonforce owners have filled the
dimples with epoxy which seals the eye and
waterproofs the dimple.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 08:01:26 pm »

Thanks for that Ned.  A good idea, and I'll adopt it in due course.  First, though, I want to get that deck eye firmly in place.
Brian

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:31 pm »

Was about to suggest epoxying all the deck-eyes in when I read that mod. had been posted.Tip....mask off each eye as you do it carefully and fully [want no drips],no rush,and use a fine wire to apply the epoxy to put it where it will settle and seal the deck eyes.Have had no problems with my 'Force and Explorer so far,even in strong winds with them coming loose.Good luck with the Focus.Lakeside Bob.

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 10:58:13 pm »

The problem over that bloomin' deck eye has come to the point where I'm having to return my Focus to the seller, for a full refund.  Seems a bit over the top to me, and I'd got it for a good price too.
Oh well, back to the drawing board ...
Brian

Brian36

• Shipmate
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 09:42:48 pm »

That loose deck-eye.
Here's what happened, as I see it.  The shop I bought the Focus from (on Ebay) had taken delivery of two Focuses, which came to them (in their boxes) in one strong outer packing box.  They sold one of them, and left the other in the original packing box.  Until they got my order.  Then, they just sent it out to me.
They forgot there was space left in that outer packing box.
In transit, the lid came off the box my Focus was packed in, and everything just fell out.  All the bits were strewn about in the outer box.
MIRACULOUSLY, however, the only damage I could at first see was a minor scratch on the fin keel, so I accepted the delivery.  But I reserved my position in case any further damage came to my attention later on.
I almost felt guilty, later, when I had to point out the damage to the deck eye.  I'm convinced it was damage caused by the bad packaging - couldn't have been anything else.
It ought to have been easy to put right.  I reckon I could have repaired it myself, but hey, this is a new toy, so why should I put up with damaged goods?  I suggested to the shop that a part-refund would satisfy me, and would save them a whole lot of aggro, but they opted for a return of their broken yacht and a full refund for me.

OK, so that's how it goes.  The courier is due to pick up the (dismantled and re-packed) yacht tomorrow.

This afternoon I had a lovely chat on the phone with Mike Weston of, er, not sure whether its 'Radiosailing' or 'RC Yachts'.  I'm not going along with the Focus II again.  I have to admit I was disappointed with the general quality of the build.
I do like some of the options Mike is offering for the Dragon Force 65 though.
Brian

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:20 pm »

The Dragon Force 65 is a very nice boat, it will sail just as happy in near still air as it does in a very brisk breeze, it also seems very forgiving of learners, a member of our club bought one, sailed it for a month & was so impressed, he went out & bought the new Dragon Flight 95. :-)
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 08:26:57 pm »

Was about to suggest epoxying all the deck-eyes in when I read that mod. had been posted.Tip....mask off each eye as you do it carefully and fully [want no drips],no rush,and use a fine wire to apply the epoxy to put it where it will settle and seal the deck eyes.Have had no problems with my 'Force and Explorer so far,even in strong winds with them coming loose.Good luck with the Focus.Lakeside Bob.

Having just acquired a DF65 I have been poring over Youtube for tips and hints. One guy had a good idea for securing the deck-eyes - by using Gorilla Glue which is super-strong and waterproof, and sounded like a good tip. Unless someone knows that epoxy is better?
Bob.
Oops, looks like someone has!  :embarrassed:

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 06:53:34 am »

Gorilla glue (the one that dries yellow and expands , can be a bit unsightly.
I coated the thread of each eye with thick cyano before screwing them back in.
Then carefully dribbled a drop of epoxy into the dimple.
These have lasted two full seasons now with no problems at all.

Google, Abersoch Boatyard and look for DF tips.
Tim Long, the owner of the full size yard is a successful
Model yacht sailor and has a lot of good stuff on the site,
including, sails rigs and spares for the DF.

No connection other than a very satisfied customer.
Cant give a link as my not so smart phone wont let me.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 04:11:37 pm »

Think I would be very wary of using Gorilla Glue,it IS very strong and waterproof but expands....everywhere,and is difficult to remove.Super glueing the deck-eye threads and a dab of epoxy into the dimples,applied....... very carefully..... has worked for me too,no issues and waterproof.Bob.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 10:36:46 pm »

As I have never used Gorilla Glue, all of this makes sense to use the epoxy method, which I will now employ. O0 :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.