Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Fantasy ship build - SLV-111 Daedalus  (Read 47400 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
  • Current project: 6 foot long SLV-111 Daedalus
Re: Fantasy ship build
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 05:02:05 pm »

I was just browsing through the builds when I saw this topic.  Where else would military ship modelers go?  I saw the link and thought, "naw."  So I clicked on it and there's my baby!  The lower half is done except for a few details to include finishing the stabilizer actuators and the anchor well.

The top part (flight / storage deck) will be another 8" high and have all the fun details in it like elevators, cranes, main opening door and lighting. - MT
For more in depth Daedalus photos, visit Macross World:  http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18403&st=460&start=460

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:27:05 am »

I like the Idea of Sci-fi ship, can you post some pictures here?

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 04:22:40 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Fantasy ship build - “SLV-111 Daedalus”
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 07:42:23 pm »

Well I've finally tacked Mechtech (Phil) down..... which wasn't actually that hard but I've been snowed under with.... stuff, but I'm got time to post the pictures Phil sent me.

Phil says:

Thank you very much posting the Daedalus build photos. 

Here are the “SLV-111 Daedalus” construction photos I have so far.  It is scratch built, over six feet long, fully radio controlled and loaded with extra functions like working cranes, elevators and main hatch.  It's been a 1.5 year build so far and will be about another 1.5 due to details and engineering.  Thank you for posting these since I don't have much time to spend on-line, (family, job, and then some building time).

All of this work was originally posted at: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18403 (Macross World); a fan site for the Macross series and sagas.  They migrated servers and now the older photos are currently unavailable.

The ship is a fictional design (but REALLY COOL).  It comes from the Japanese Animated series “Super Dimensional Fortress Macross,” also known as “Robotech” by some when it was combined with two other series to make a three generation long saga.  What am I building?  It's a futuristic design from 1999 (back in 1983 :^)) of an amphibious assault ship that carries giant robots, or “mecha,” also appropriately named “Destroids.”  It also carries VTOL capable aircraft as well.  Here’s some design drawings from the Designer (Kazutaka Miyatake), mostly translated to give you an idea of the design.  The model is 1:200 scale which translates to over six feet long (yes, bigger than a super carrier).

The attached pictures of mecha are what it primarily carries as it's assault teams.  In real life the mecha would average about 11 meters tall and the subdued one in the back round (two carried on board) are 22.50 meters tall.

Construction is in four major parts for easy transport, bow, stern, bow hanger deck and stern hanger deck sections.  The lower half is completed, primed and just needs paint.  It took me about 1.5 years to finish the lower hull, who knows how long for the hanger decks!  This post starts the lower hull construction photos.

The design is mostly flat bottomed so I started off easy.  The keel with bulkheads shows the larger stern section.  ALL construction here is 3mm (1/8”) styrene; heavy but durable and already waterproof waiting for paint.  The gray quarter round stock is actually 2 inch ABS tube I ripped into quarters length wise.  Good cement is needed to get the two to work together.

That's not a dry-dock, that's the main hull with a 1:200 destroyer in it for comparison. 

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:46:58 pm »

Here are the bow section photos.  The bow skeleton is also 3mm styrene.  The bulkheads were doubled up to make copies and glued 90 degrees to each side of the bow spine.  The bow is planked with .060” styrene strips cut with 35 degree angles on them.  The cuts aren’t totally smooth, but the Revell Contacta fills the little gaps in well.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 07:52:08 pm »

I couldn’t find a powerful enough bow thruster so I made one with a 500 size motor for propulsion.  Please not I altered the stem and bow areas a couple of times to get the shape I wanted.  I even built up the bulbous area with expanding foam, sanded it and coated with P-38/Bondo body filler.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 08:02:34 pm »

Thank you again for posting these.  There are a lot of photos (and a LOT of building).  After the main hull was built came the motor pods, tower, stabilizers, and connectors to electrically connect the two hull halves.

Propulsion is by four motors (720 size – 5 poled) in pods sealed with oil and grease seals (and a tight fit).  Props are 6 bladed 50mm Raboesch scimitars (great props too).  The motors had to be machined down and re died to 4mm threads.  The motors had full bearings installed and motor pod end caps sealed with silicone RTV.  The pod assembly hangs on a threaded rod to raise or lower the pod.  The original design has the pod too high to work so this was the compromise between reality and function.  Put a gear on it and the whole pod steers.  With the bow thruster, there is not a maneuver you can’t do.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 08:03:08 pm »

I got a sail winch servo for half price at the local hobby shop (it sat there for months calling my name  ;)  I took the potentiometer out and connected it to spur gear mounted on a block with ball bearings on it.  The servo horn was replaced with a pinion gear that fir just right.  I got my 180+ degree rotation, more power, and slower turn speed (closer to scale).

Video Clips....

I got some more 3mm styrene and borrowed the toaster.  I melted the plastic in the center and made rounded 90 degree angles; very strong and perfect to make supports for the steering tower.  There is a lightweight (and slow) gear case on top to raise and lower the pod).

Everything is then connected via an umbilical cord to include to silicone fuel tubes to cool the speed controls (which really don’t need it).  “Steering Below” and “Steering Side” show the whole thing working together.  There is a micro switch that actually cuts off the steering servo feed if it not in the right position.  That way it won’t break itself to little pieces.  That’s it for now. - Phill

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fantasy ship build - SLV-111 Daedalus
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 09:14:30 pm »

Wow,
pleese dont stop
colin
grumpy old XXX

slewis

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 09:16:51 pm »

Blimey ! Thats something different and very very impressive it looks as well .
Keep up the good work MT  :D

Shane

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 08:15:33 pm »

at 1/200, that destroyer is dwarfed, should look great on the water.  ingenious pod-drive assembly, though personally i'd have a standard array at the back with 4 screws exiting the transom with rudders behind.  may cause less problems in the long run.  turning her may prove fun, especially as she will have som much wind-borne structure, so in a cross wind she may want to go sideways more than forwards.

interesting concept. hope to see some water videos soon to see how it performs
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 02:10:59 pm »

UPDATE 26 AUG 07

Here's some updated photos...
I took 132, 3mm white LEDs and sanded all the tips down (with a jig)  Talk about boring...
Then I took acrylic stock and shaped strips with it on my table saw and cross cut the individual lights on the band saw.  Using a jig I drilled out a 3mm hole for the LEDs to glue into.  These will line the starboard side of the hanger decks.
Added A LOT more rod to strengthen up the deck areas and add on the second deck (giant cat walk).
With flooring added (rough fit, not glued).  Both decks test fit.
Ribbed starboard side fitted and from a distance.  The last picture is darker to bring out the ribs.  Brighter "burned them out" in the photo.
The main entrance sheeted with styrene (note rounded corners in upper area).  The flash brought out the white better.
Note in this drawing the starboard side interior.  Now you know why and where the lighting and ribs are supposed to go.
That's it for now.  Next step is to scribe the outer details to the starboard and port sides and THEN cut them to fit onto the frame.  Talk to you all later. - MT
For more in depth Daedalus photos, visit Macross World:  http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=18403&st=460&start=460

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 02:13:16 pm »

Sorry, couldn't post the drawing.  It's too big and if made smaller, you can't see the detail. - MT

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 01:00:39 am »

Now that is good.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 09:30:34 am »

simply awsome work :D

Do keep us all posted won't you!!! O0 O0 O0

mechtech

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 02:27:34 am »

Here's more updates of the starboard bow hanger/entrance side.  I took 3mm styrene strips I made, ripped channels into the ends, and cut those off to make conduit for the wiring.  I even had to make the wires since I couldn't find what I needed.  Easy though.  Just take thinner gauge bell wire and fasten ends into vice, and take other ends in Dremmel and run it slowly.  All lights will be LED's for weight, longevity on battery/age and to minimize yellowing that fluorescent lights cause. - MT

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 06:10:27 pm »

hi there ,wow what can i say apart from very very impressive please do keep us posted cant wait for the next update. Should look ace on the water , but will be intresting to see how she handels with that unique drive system. O0 O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 01:56:59 pm »

More Photos....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 02:00:34 pm »

More Photos....

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 02:17:24 pm »

Videos....

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 11:35:31 pm »

hello . How does she Handel on the water. Can she go side ways with the use of the pod and the bow thruster. Is she very manoeuvrable . great boat . john

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 08:55:44 am »

hello . How does she Handel on the water. Can she go side ways with the use of the pod and the bow thruster. Is she very manoeuvrable . great boat . john
Did you not watch the videos, she turns in her own length. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 09:02:35 am »

hello . How does she Handel on the water...

Are you trying to say the videos should be put to music?  ;D
Handel's water music no doubt. {-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 09:56:35 pm »

yes i did watch the video clips. What i was trying to get across was. She has a very unique drive system nothing like i have seen before . Does she dig in on turn or tilts etc etc you know. I did not want to ask a million and one questions. I was mealy asking how the builder thought how she handled . john
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.