Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New way to change direction of a Graham TVR1A  (Read 2317 times)

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
New way to change direction of a Graham TVR1A
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:35:06 am »

My latest project is to built a steam yacht using the very nice Kingston Mouldings Yarta hull although I will probably do the superstructure as per Medea or one of the later steam yachts. Boiler and throttle came from ACS and the engine is a Graham TVR1A. I re - read previous posts about changing the direction of the engine many times but part of my problem in using such a narrow hull was that although the mods suggested were very neat I could not mount a servo alongside the engine. In the past I have used some very nifty Du-Bro bellcranks so I went hunting in the spares cupboard. While searching I found an arm which can be fitted to servos to pull in the sails on smaller yachts. I decided to try that acting directly on the rod from the engine. I bent a bit of a crank in the arm and removed the knob off the Graham lever. Also needed to turn the centre standard on the motor as per the instructions for converting the engine to radio control. With the servo mounted on its side above the prop shaft and the arm along the side of the engine the lever slips nicely in to the hole in the end of the arm. I need to redo my photos but once I get them sorted it should become clear. I have not steamed her up yet but on the bench all works well. There is enough slop in the hole in the arm to allow for the change of angularity as the arm goes up and down. Photos to follow. Cheers, Ian.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New way to change direction of a Graham TVR1A
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:00:53 am »

First lot of photos I hope and tomorrow I will do some of the installation. Cheers, Ian.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 10:15:29 am »

Showing installation in hull.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »

Bonjour,
Quite clever  :-))  if you have room enough to install this servo behind the machine. And a question, which is the strength of this servo ? Commonly, the cheap ones I use are able to push/pull 3kg at 1cm of its center (Futaba 3000 series).
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:53:59 pm »

Hi Raphael, the servo is just a cheap Hobby King one, part number HK15139. I do not have a rating for it but I chose it because it is meant to be water (and hopefully steam) proof. Once the standard in the centre of the engine is turned to the side and the lever is not catching in the notches then the lever moves very easily, the servo does not seem to struggle at all. If you do not have space to mount the servo behind the engine it might be possible to mount it ahead of the engine in some hulls. Regards, Ian.

NeilMac

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 09:25:01 pm »

What an excellent idea.

Thanks for posting, that just saved me hours of tinkering time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.