Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John Lambert Plans?  (Read 12890 times)

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
John Lambert Plans?
« on: July 16, 2016, 05:43:31 pm »

I just noted your comment in your previous post and thought it best to ask about this sad news rather than hijack your thread.

That is sad personal news and a blow to anyone wanting sets of his excellent plans.

Does anyone know of any route for his work  to continue to be made available?

David

petesubman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: John Lambert Plans?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:35:42 pm »

Hi Davy , I did email johns daughter about the drawings for hms seraph and recieved a reply saying they were cataloging the plans and were hoping to make them available,  it would be helpful if modellers requiring plans made contact through the website to show there is still demand for the drawings,  regards pete

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 11:28:55 pm »

I just noted your comment in your previous post and thought it best to ask about this sad news rather than hijack your thread.

That is sad personal news and a blow to anyone wanting sets of his excellent plans.

Does anyone know of any route for his work  to continue to be made available?

David

Who's Comment, what thread ?.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 08:34:07 am »

(It was the last post "British S class.")

Thanks for the hopeful info, Petesubman. I seem to remember that I ordered my last John Lambert plan form Cornwall Model Boats:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mmi_lambert.html

But a very helpful suggestion to go onto John's website, thanks!

http://www.feralchicken.co.uk/lambert-plans/

His plans are a very important source for British subs.

David

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 09:04:03 am »

I have just had a very nice email from John's daughters.

They are busy logging all his drawings (there are many!) and they will complete this by the end of the year when they will have a better idea of what they will do next.

David

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:07:30 am »

Does anyone  have any more information about the availability of John Lambert plans?

(Rather important for our hobby!)

David

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 02:33:32 pm »

Drop a line to Ron Dean at Deans Marine - He might be able to point you in the right direction  ok2

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:34:39 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just sent them an email and will let the Forum know the answer.

David

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 01:37:17 pm »

A quick reply from Deans Marine. They are not able to help with supply and they don't know if John's family have any arrangements.

They suggest the second hand market.

David

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 07:29:06 pm »

An update on the disposition of John's plans.
A quote from Seaforth Publishers website "John Lambert was a renowned naval draughtsman, whose plans were highly valued for their accuracy and detail by modelmakers and enthusiasts. By the time of his death in 2016 he had produced over 850 sheets of drawings, many of which have never been published. These have now been acquired by Seaforth and this is the first of a planned series of albums on selected themes, reproducing complete sheets at a large page size, with an expert commentary and captioning."
[/size][/color]
[/size]A selection of the drawings are superbly reproduced in the recent book: [/color][/size]British Naval Weapons of World War Two, Vol 1: The John Lambert Collection.[/color][/color]This book has the 4.7-inch twin guns set of drawings but not the 4-inch HA/LA twin guns used on many destroyers etc. I would love to get a good copy of L/0/49 ([size=78%]THE TWIN 4-in. MARK XVI GUN on MARK XIX and RP 51 MOUNTINGS) [/size][/font][/color][/size], I could trade for a copy of Oerlikon L/0/82 that I bought from John.[/color]
[/size]
[/size][/color]I have asked Pen & Sword/Seaforth what their plans are for the rest of the drawings, I suggested that they look at selling the plans as pdf scans. I know there is a Vol 2 due out in August 2019 but there are too many to publish in books. Perhaps if others also suggest that they sell scans there might be some action on their part?[/color][/color]Gerrit
HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 08:14:22 pm »

Was in contact with Seaforth last week and as far as I could ascertain there are no plans, at present, to release individual drawings.

LB

gerritv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 08:26:13 pm »

Sorry for the bizarre format of my posting, not sure what happened but can't fix it now :-(

Re: their plans for the plans, the more of us that approach them for copies the more they might see a business opportunity?

Gerrit

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 08:33:01 pm »

FWIW I got the Destroyer weapons book recently and am very pleased with it as it has 98 of John's plans all very useful for my main area of interest and usually printed so that nothing goes across the page join.  The Norman Friedman intro is useful in itself with some excellent photos to help illustrate the subject.  At a discount price from Amazon of just over £24, an absolute bargain.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 08:34:48 am »

That's very good news about the publication you have purchased. Let's hope they carry on publishing John's work.

David

gerritv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 02:44:29 pm »

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 02:51:02 am »

Regrettably none of his ship plans are available anymore. i asked about them and Seaforth replied that, if relevant, small plans of ships would be in the weapons books. A big loss to us.

gerritv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 02:54:47 am »

I understood that some of his plans might be available from the Brunel Trust although their website is lacking in clear info. They do have a full listing of everything they got from McGregor, who had all of Norman Ough's plans plus many of Lambert's.

There is also this: https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mmi_lambert.html
Both might be worth a try for you?

Gerrit

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 04:06:28 am »

Thanks,

Cornwall have some plans left but not all. Murphy's Law, the one I want is sold out.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 08:01:17 am »

I recently was given a copy of L/S/33 British 70 ft Target Boat - Originally MTB103 that I can probably scan if anyone needs it. it is labelled up as Warship Data International distributed by Albion Scott Limited of Brentford

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 09:09:05 am »

I understood that some of his plans might be available from the Brunel Trust although their website is lacking in clear info. They do have a full listing of everything they got from McGregor, who had all of Norman Ough's plans plus many of Lambert's.

I recently asked the Brunel Trust about copies of  a couple of the John Lambert ship plans that they list.  They said I was welcome to go there and have a look and take photos but they hadn't established authorization to make full copies themselves.  I pointed out to them that Seaforth was doing the plans books and suggested they contact them for which they were grateful but I haven't heard anything since.  Ironically, I have now got the Destroyer weapons book and the plans I want are there albeit at a much reduced scale.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 10:30:47 am »

I had some discussions with the Brunel Institute when I was tryig to find a home for a collection of Model Boats magazines. They were helpful but said that holding model making related material was not part of their collections policy.

They do of course have the David MacGregor and Norman Ough plans but these were an adjunct to the David MacGregor bequest and they were obliged to accept them as a condition of taking on his other material.

So, while they are happy for people to go and look at the model making plans they do not see them as an integral part of the Institute's collections.

Which is all a bit frustrating really given the value of the drawings to modelmakers.

Colin

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 12:29:29 pm »

My birthdays have all just come at once!!

I have just received a copy of a new book  "British Submarines in Two World Wars" by Norman Friedman published by Seaforth Publishing. (It is my birthday present.)

I have just  been paging through it and I am so pleased to see that it contains many of John Lambert's submarine drawings (together with many from the National Maritime Museum.)

It also has some drawings which I didn't know John had done (Including the British R class. I had sent him my set of drawings in the hope that he would.)

I will do a proper book review (on the AMS Forum) when I have read it but this new book is a very important source of information for those interested in British subs. Thanks also to David J and my colleagues at Barrow in Furness MBC who let me know of its existence.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.