Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ivanhoe  (Read 2947 times)

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Ivanhoe
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:55:57 pm »

Good day,

Just started construction of Glynn Guest's HMS Ivanhoe (Model Boats July 1992) and have run into a bit of a hiccup. The bulkhead nearest the bow (B1 on the plan) shows 17mm. wide at the bottom. But when I check the drawing of the bottom of the hull it needs to be more like 23mm. wide. The top of the bulkhead looks right at 64mm. wide. Any comments / suggestions for remedy will be most appreciated.

cheers John K.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Ivanhoe
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 07:30:10 pm »

Hi john

Out of curiosity is the skin for the hull sides suggested to be approx 3mm? as that could explain the 6mm difference. I've been caught out before when it comes to taking in to account the hull thicknesses.
If not make a new one adding 3mm on to each side at the bottom and sketch the new shape on to your piece of material. It shouldn't affect the deck size you'd just have a slightly wider hull at the bow.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:37:00 pm »

I had similar problems when using a Glynn Guest drawing and then had a message from the great man himself, Apparently drawings get changed by the magazine artists and having some experience on how editors can butcher articles it didn't surprise me.  The secret is not to follow the drawing too slavishly and use it more like a guide to size and shape.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 07:54:19 pm »

This is quite an old plan from the days when my original drawings were never returned and there was no chance to preview the plans before they were published.  This meant that mistakes and in a few cases deliberate alterations by the draughtsman employed at the time, could not be spotted before publication.
Things are much better now and the odd mistakes are usually (but not always I'll admit!) picked up and corrected before publication.
Still, with possible distortion during printing and poor storage (damp!) of paper plans, it is always (as the previous poster suggested) better to view them as guidance rather than something to blindly follow.
This also gives you the option of tailoring a design to suit your individual needs.
Glynn Guest

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 11:10:59 pm »

I only ever use the plans as a guide.

john_k

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:29:35 am »

Thanks everybody for the insight - back to the drawing board!

cheers John K.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.