Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction from a newbie  (Read 2522 times)

DannyH

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Introduction from a newbie
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:28:47 pm »

Hello there!

I don't know if this the the correct place to post this, but I just thought I'd introduce myself, as I'm a newbie to the forums.

My name is Danny, I'm 21 and from Manchester. I've always been a fan of building models, admittedly only Airfix/Revell kits and the occasional card kit (for a model railway) so far, due to cost and space restraints. I also have a strong attachment the the R.N.L.I and its boats, so inevitably when looking for model kits of R.N.L.I lifeboats (other than the Airfix Severn Class kit) I came across the kits offered by companies like Model Slipway and Speedline Models - the Tamar Class in particular. I can't remember when I first saw them, but I must have only been mid-teens and there was no way I could have afforded them, or built them if I was honest. But having recently rediscovered them, I've decided to look into it more seriously.

I'm aware that due to my limited modeling experience, kits of this level are probably way beyond my capabilities at the moment, but my interest has been piqued and I've been reading up more about building models/RC boats like these - and that is how I came across these forums in fact, and I'm sure with the fantastic models I've seen on here, I'm in the right place for guidance and advice.

So, I was wondering...how did others get started in this hobby? Are there any recommended kits for people like me who are essentially beginners, that could help me build up to what I'm guessing are the more complex kits? And as a side question, does anyone know if there are any R.N.L.I Tyne Class kits around? Hands down my favourite class in the fleet but couldn't see any model kits around.

Thanks for reading through my rambling, and I can't wait to hear from you!

Danny  :-)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Introduction from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:30 am »

Hmmmmm I started like you airfix etc. Then at 16 went onto rc aircraft and helis and progressed from there.
As a newbie I would ask
Can you use a craft knife, a saw and know how to glue two items together without gluing yourself to it. If the answer to this question is yes them you can build a boat.  You only need rudimentary tools to start with. For a scratch built boat you cannot go far wrong with a springer tug. Google plans for it or somewhere it's free on here.
Alternatively look for some Glen Guest designs normally free in model boat magazines.
Read all you can about making basic design models. Then add as you improve.  Within a year you will be able to make a decent kit like the caldercraft Amaranth or a ClydePuffer. From there you will easily progress through different processes up to plank on frame.if you want painting advice I believe there is a section on here somewhere by Stavros all about painting, preparation etc.

P's I'm on my phone at work and cannot look the relevant links up!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:07:07 am »

Hi Danny
Welcome to the forum, helpful mob, ask the questions you can and we will try and help.
Also checkout other forums 

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/
http://model-boats.com/
http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

DannyH

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:50:33 pm »

Cheers for the welcome guys! Much appreciated. I don't think I'm too shabby with a craft knife and saw, not sure about that glue though (just kidding)  :-)) . I'll be sure to let you all know when I get cracking with something  :P

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:43:59 am »

Welcome aboard Danny, it's good to see a young person interested in this great hobby. As Canabus said, ask the questions and someone here will probably know the answer. There is no such thing as a stupid question on this forum, so ask away. (There may, however, be some stupid answers  {-) )

Peter.

DannyH

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:09:29 pm »

Cheers Peter! I've been into building kits for ages. I remember making Airfix kits with my dad and grandad years ago - definitely before I was a teenager, so I'm really looking forward to taking it up a notch and trying my hand at something a little more challenging.

I've been looking up Glynn Guest, the guy that Klunk suggested, and came across a book he's written called "Small Radio Control Boats". Has anyone seen it, or have an opinion on it? It seems to have good reviews, so was thinking I might pick up a copy  :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:29:20 pm »

Pop onto Ebay and se if you can buy a copy of Model boats with a suitable plan, or have a look on their website under 'Plans service' Or, get a subscription to Model Boats or Marine Model internatioanl as they often have free plans, and two or three times a year Glynn Guest plans and articles on construction are published. Now his plans and articles are quite good.
Pond weed is your enemy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:44:11 pm »

If you are on fb look up 1/144 scale warships as his plans are this Size approx.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.