Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Severn Railings  (Read 3885 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
Severn Railings
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:20:30 pm »

My next job is fitting the kickboards and that made me think about the railing uprights.
Because there is a gap in the kickboards around the anchor it seems that there is a bigger gap between the first and second upright on the side where the anchor sits (starboard).
I am thinking that this must mean that the spaces between the railing uprights are different port to starboard?
Am I right in thinkingthat all the uprights are equispaced on the port side But only equi spaced from 2 onward on starboard but with a smaller pitch than port because of the big gap around the anchor?
I wish I had a Severn to look at closer to home. The RNLI drawings are not much help in many instances.
In trying to understand this I noticed that there seems to be far more pictures of the starboard sides of boats that the port side.
Any comments appreciated
Les

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Severn Railings
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:10:50 pm »

I take it back. The RNLI drawing does show the railing uprights.
Sorry RNLI
LES

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:06:09 pm »

I have just pretty much finished soldering up the stern railings (grey) and I am about to start installing the black railing stanchions on the kick boards. I am wondering about the larger diameter that appears at the bottom of the stanchion. Is this simply achieved by using a short piece of tube to accept the 3mm at the bottom of each Stanchion?
I have 2 other questions
The rectangular and triangular plates at the bottom of each Stanchion seem to be duplicated in stainless steel on the inside of the kick board. I am thinking if I want to include them i will have to make Them?  (fiddly)
Finally after making the railings for the stern I am concerned that I won't have enough of the brass rod to complete all the railings. It is 12swg = 2.7mm = 0.104ins. I have looked and I can't find anywhere selling this size brass rod. Anyone know any suppliers for This?
I would be interested to know what previous builders of the kit have done.
Les

smudger1309

• Full Mayhemer
  • Colwyn Bay M.B.C
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

hi

i got few photos of the holyhead seven class,   also got 1:12th speedline model already built as holyhead boat to

Garreth

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:55:33 pm »

Hi with ref to the triangular plates I have some of both left over from when I built my Mersey [if they are the same] pm me for details.

John

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 08:27:17 am »

Thanks for the replies chaps. I am interested to know if others bothered to fit the plates on the inside of the kick boards or not and if they did fit them where did they get them as there are not enough in the kit to do the inside as well. I know that in a way it's irrelevant because each can build the boat as they want but it's nice to know what others have done.
Les

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 09:56:22 am »

Hi Les, with regard to the triangular plates ,these were only for the inside on the outside they are rectangular, it's the way I did it, if wrong I am sure I will get told .
Regards Gerard.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 10:13:05 am »

Hi Gerard
I am probably not understanding what you mean but I dont understand how you can put 4 hole rectangular plates on the outside and 3 hole triangular plates on the inside
Les

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 04:17:44 pm »

Hi Les, I was talking a load of rubbish, the single stanchions have the triangular plates, the solid rails around the stern have the rect. ones. I should have gone at looked first before opening my mouth. Gerard

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:32:01 pm »

Hi les,
 All the above is correct and yes I would add them, easy to make and as they will spread the load, functional as well.
 The railings are bigger than 12swg 2.7mm.  They are actually 40mm which is 3.33mm at 1/12th. Mine are from 3.5mm brass rod/tube.
 1/8th would also be good 3.08mm, with several coats of paint should get to 3.33! ok2   17-09

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 12:50:16 pm »

Thanks for the info Alan
The bummer is I have just finished all the stern railings and now I find out the gauge of the brass is undersize.   I am not too much of a rivet counter so I could overlook the undersize diameter except I cant find a source for more of the same 12 gauge brass for the rest of the railings. I think a change of size would notice.
I have bought some 12 swg piano wire and 12 swg copper wire. I dont know what piano wire would solder like but I know it will be difficult to bend and I dont know if the copper wire will be stiff enough.

On the inside kickboard plates what material did you make them out of? It will be pretty fiddly machining such small parts.
Les

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 04:02:58 pm »

Hi Les,
Not yet fitted them but will make them from 10 thou brass sheet eventually.
Take up Mk1's offer if you don't want to make them from scratch, if you then find you're still short, use them as a pattern for more.
As for the railing sizes, that's fine, if your happy.
I wonder how many coats of paint make up the .5mm difference in the sizes...... ;)
17-09

mk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 12:05:09 am »

The plates

John

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 08:46:51 am »

Hi John
Thanks for the offer of the plates but I had drawn my plates to a scale and traced yours off your photo and scaled them to the same scale and it seems they are different. On the photo your plate is drawn in blue.
I will change into bottom gear and think how to make them.
Anyway thanks again for the offer
Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.