Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trent Lights  (Read 3797 times)

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
Trent Lights
« on: August 11, 2016, 10:38:47 pm »

Hi Guys,

I am refurbing my Trent lifeboat and among other things am going to be adding a full set of led lights, so my question is this, does anyone have any good reference that shows the external lighting on the superstructure, deck floods, spots etc?

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Trent Lights
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:22:19 pm »

Hi Guys,

Looking around the internet for reference I have come across the attached photo and was wondering if any one had any close up / detail photos / information about the lights highlighted with red arrows.

Alex

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:37 am »

Hi Alex,
Give me a couple of days and can come up with some photos for you and the details of the search light. Some of these are featured on my Trent Class DVD of still photos of the Ramsgate boat, here in Kent. I sell these for £5 [all money goes to the RNLI]. If you want one of these send me a PM and your address and I'll burn one and send it off. Anyway, I can post a few shots here during the next two days - if you can wait.
Regards,
Kim [C.C.]

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:24:30 am »

Hi,

This maybe of use relief Trent at Fowey.

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 10:43:16 am »

Hi Guys,

Canterbury Coxswain - PM Sent

rnli12 - Thanks for the photo, most helpful

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 04:03:51 pm »

Hi Guys,

Progress today on the missing searchlights, many thanks to Canterbury Coxswain for the excellent reference photo DVD which has given me a lot of useful information.

Searching the internet to try and find something I could buy and modify for the job, I came across a German website selling model boat fittings and they just so happen to have started making the Francis 300 searchlight @ 1/12 scale, the Trent uses a 380, which means the 1/12th scale 300 is near enough the right size:

http://www.herbundsab.de/epages/62109782.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62109782/Products/1085

They also do the smaller floodlights which are used in various positions around the boat, they are however modelled at 1/12th scale, so a bit big for my 1/16th Trent:

http://www.herbundsab.de/epages/62109782.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62109782/Products/1086

Does anyone know the dimensions of these lights in real life or the make / model?

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:52:39 pm »

Hi Guys,

I emailed the German company making the searchlights for a product photo and I must say I am very tempted by a pair of these.

Alex

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 01:54:09 pm »

Alex,
They look like the ones I helped a contact develop in this country with some years ago [which they also did the ones cylindrical ones for the Tamar Class lifeboat too], which he ended up getting made in Germany. I bought two and they are on my Trent, built to the 3D PDF file specs I sent them [for which you now have a a very similar one]. I did not mention these a few weeks ago as I did not know if they were still available and I bought mine through the English contact, so did not know their name. I replaced the little zenon bulbs that came with them [6 volt] with Dimension Engineering SupaBrite LEDs from America. They required a little filing off of the corners of the very small electrical board to get them in. They work perfectly and throw quite a beam. Somewhere I have photos, but they might be on my old computer that does not now function!
I would say - go for them!
Kim

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 03:16:32 pm »

Hi Kim,

Yep, definitely placing an order for a pair of these, from their website it looks like they have only just introduced the RNLI items.

Alex

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 03:49:53 pm »

Alex,
Mine were at 1/12th scale, do they do 1/16th too?
Kim

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 04:25:46 pm »

Hi Kim,

No, they only do 1/12th, but they have modelled the Francis 300 and the Trent has the 380, so the 1/12th light is so close on the OD it's not really worth worrying about.

Alex

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 05:04:55 pm »

Alex I sent you the PDF for the Francis 380, but said I could not find the three mounted front glass version in their catalogue. [That was the 300 I think]. So just check, please.
Cheers,
Kim

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 05:14:14 pm »

Hi Kim,

Sorry, I am confused, what do mean by, "three mounted"

Alex

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:33 pm »

Alex,
On the front glass there should be three securing mounts, the ones on the 380 PDF I sent you had four.
Does that help? I did not want you getting ones that were too large. They are correct for my 1/12th  Trent. Remembering the Germans usually have scales of 1/10th, 1/15th and 1/20th, did they quote 1/12th scale?
Kim

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 03:50:43 pm »

Hi Kim,

Right, I understand now, they do quote 1:12th scale of their website and as of yet they are not advertising a 1:16th scale version, may email them and see if one is in the works.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.