Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman 28 on choppy water  (Read 4280 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Huntsman 28 on choppy water
« on: August 22, 2016, 11:18:27 pm »

Took the Huntsman out yesterday on a rare outing, only the second this year! Weather was ideal for this boat, warm, bright, but windy making the choppy water ideal for the deep "V" hull, it just loves choppy water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRMZTc8Ff-U

Video was taken with cheap £15 HD spyglasses off ebay, not bad really

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman 28 on choppy water
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:30:17 pm »

Nothing wrong with that video, Red. The boat looks great on the water - thanks for sharing. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:47:50 am »

Good job Paul  :-)) , I've put your youtube link on our forum (WMBS)
Is the water cooled motor mount homemade ? I cant find any on ebay (UK)
I'll be 'robbing' your colour scheme for my old Aerokit's Swordman , when I can get to it . . .
Bill

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:43:20 am »

Really impressive  O0
Where did you get the veneer for the rear well deck?
I have been looking for some to repair my fathers Gannet powered cabin Cruiser but cannot find anything on the net.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:15:34 am »

Thanks Ray, those glasses where bought to use when I fly an rc plane, so I can learn from my mistakes, best £15 I have spent!

Bill, I looked at the pics last night (Orca on your forum) They are real nice, many thanks. The water cooling mount I custom made, with a lot of help from a good friend. If you need any help just ask, I have the tooling to do that sort of thing, check out my Aerokits Fireboat build, its quite detailed in there regarding the mounts etc, I did the same on twin screw, but direct drive.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39278.0.html

Brian, its nothing specific really, have a look here, its the full build of the first refurb, I used plastic square profile strip for the caulking, they are individual strips of wood, from Scale hobbies in Skelmersdale (he will be at the bank holiday Haydock show), and clear ronseal varnish applied many times with a cloth!

Paul

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21584.0.html

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:46:21 am »

Hmm, those spy glasses look like these . . .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-HD-Glasses-Spy-Hidden-Camera-Sunglasses-Eyewear-DVR-Digital-Video-Recorder-/112029250435?hash=item1a1576b383:g:tlcAAOSwzJ5XcPRg
You've got sound on your vid's have you added that or does it get picked up on the camera ?
Bill

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:04:26 pm »

bill the sound gets picked up by the glasses.  you just need a good speed micro sd card

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:47:13 pm »

As said it looks good and handles the choppy water at speed really well.

What length is It?

I've read all your refurb thread - that performance would be enough for me and it still sounds pretty good. Do you still plan to go twin screw?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 11:43:16 pm »

Its about 42 inches Chris. Twin screw, I have had it on the bench, tools ready, twice now, then just couldn't bring myself to tear it apart, I really want to do it, but I think its going to be  lot of work, and I don't sail much now really, and will it go any faster, probably not.

I tidied it up earlier this year with a  view to sell, but again, thats twice now, and then it ends up back in the box for another 6 months!

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 01:19:49 am »

Its about 42 inches Chris. Twin screw, I have had it on the bench, tools ready, twice now, then just couldn't bring myself to tear it apart, I really want to do it, but I think its going to be  lot of work, and I don't sail much now really, and will it go any faster, probably not.

I tidied it up earlier this year with a  view to sell, but again, thats twice now, and then it ends up back in the box for another 6 months!

:o  Twin screws ? ?  NO THRICE NO  <*<  It's handling beautifully , it would be a lot of work for little gain , weight increases / twin ESC's / tank or Y lead throttles / extra battery / twin rudders . . .the drive system you have now would take some beating . . .
Bill  <:(   

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:27:03 am »

you are probably right Bill! I doubt it will improve the boat, sometimes you need to step back and take advise from others!

By the way, when you come to do the black Huntsman, if you need some help with the cooling mounts give me a shout, I can do them!

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 10:08:49 am »

Ahh 'Blackie' hmm, going to be a saga i'm afraid , the skins have come away from the frames yet again , 3rd time now , I think glow fuel got into the wood after a major crash & is stopping the glue doing it's job , wonder if Gorilla glue might do it , anyway , the boat in question . . .  .

still looks good tho' even after all my abuse . . .
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 01:34:04 pm »

I'd be the same about tearing it apart.

Be nice for you to do from a technological point of view but as said doubt you will improve much, if any, with regards to performance and especially handling.

You've done the twin screw thing on your fireboat haven't you?
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 02:56:39 pm »

dont tear it apart , just biuld a new with all of the upgrades you fancy doing to the original one ! nice model too

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 09:07:17 pm »

You've done the twin screw thing on your fireboat haven't you?

yep, done that, and with the PCF, it was a pain! you are convincing me to stick with single, its just a bit unnerving when your flat out and that torque roll monster wants to take over, it snaps in and keeps you awake!

well its back in deep sleep now, bit like a sci fi movie, lipos in long term storage mode, awaiting probably its Xmas run out!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:22 am »

dont tear it apart , just biuld a new with all of the upgrades you fancy doing to the original one ! nice model too

Yes, that would be the way!

And if it didn't work out you've still got the original (well the last! ) setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.