Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd ESC problem  (Read 1759 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Odd ESC problem
« on: August 25, 2016, 10:10:54 am »

I had a weird problem with a 5A Mtroniks ESC.  Re-set it up five times as per the leaflet, no difference.
After going into flashing LED set up mode, N set, then full fwd, then full reverse.
Problem kept repeating.  Anything over 2/3 forward throttle the motor just stops.

So, I got a 5A Deans "Viper" ESC instead (yes, Viper is a brand name of Mtroniks) and now it works perfectly.

No idea what the problem was, but at least the new ESC works as it should.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Odd ESC problem
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 07:13:45 pm »

Hi Bob, sounds like the ESC was going into failsafe mode, what motor are you using?? at 5 amps, does not leave a lot of room for a tight bearing etc.

Regards

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:27:00 am »

I had noticed a problem with some Mtronics ESCs a few years ago where, if the transmitter throttle was advanced beyond the range that was acceptable to the ESC, rather than just agreeing that the range limit had been reached and continuing to give full output, its control program went into a panic mode and stopped giving any output.  Different batches will have different versions of the control program.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:53:53 am »

The plug and play esc's that I have from a few years ago are of this batch.
A fine thing for the grandchildren's boats as they learn a bit of throttle stick
control.Full stick means stop so they are a bit more gentle on the stick.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 06:40:59 pm »

The new Mtroniks Tio range of speed controllers don't have this issue, but the earlier Vipers do. It gets a mention on Mtroniks own site. The problem usually only manifests itself if using two controllers via a mixer. Then on two of the extremes of travel, for example full throttle and full left, the units would exceed their 'range' and stop working. Nothing you can do about it, it is in their software.
It can also show up on a small number of transmitters that have greater than normal travel from end to end on their sticks. Nothing current that I can remember, but sets of about ten to twelve years old, brands I cannot remember either ( getting old, or not caring any more, one or t'other!).
The third way it can occur is if the potentiometer in the transmitter stick has started to physically drift out of its as produced position. This does not affect servos, but can bother some speed control brands. Easily fixed with a quick tweak of the pots position in the set, followed with a dab of glue to stop it moving. Acoms, Hitec and some Futaba 2 channels used to do this..also easily fixed by throwing them out the window and buying a new set, but I digress :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.