Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Wood Care:

Routing 7mm Plywood without the splinters!

(1/3) > >>

C-3PO:
Every time I go near plywood it's seems to splinter on the reverse cutting side!

I need to cut slots approx 13mm x 26mm in a piece of 7mm ply. I need to do lots of these so not practical to cut by hand. My current thought is to use my router (even though it's gone AWOL in my workshop)

Is there a way to get good clean cuts? Does this involve having it on a hard wood sacrificial work surface on the underside? Is there a particular router bit that would be better than others?

Any help and guidance will be much appreciated

Regards
C-3PO

Charlie:
How about Routing down to half the depth of the ply, then turning the piece over and Routing from the reverse side?

imsinking:

--- Quote from: Charlie on September 14, 2016, 09:28:24 am ---How about Routing down to half the depth of the ply, then turning the piece over and Routing from the reverse side?

--- End quote ---

You would need a template to do that , there would be horrible steps all over the place.  <:( 
Bill

Charlie:

--- Quote ---  ]
  You would need a template to do that , there would be horrible steps all over the place.  <:( 

--- End quote ---

True, but a step is better than a splinter %%

TailUK:
Make sure the piece you're cutting is held down tight to a, as you call it a "sacrificial" piece, it acts as a "chipbreaker" but remember that the cutter need to be into the chipbreaker, not level with surface as it just wont work.  Don't be afraid to pin the 2 together but remember to put the pins where the cutter wont hit them.  Use the best cutter you can afford and with thick pieces a "spiral cut" cutter will work best.  HTH.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version