Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon Mini table saw?  (Read 5652 times)

verithingeoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • Hofner Verithin Guitars
Proxxon Mini table saw?
« on: September 23, 2016, 01:32:26 am »

Moving on from the David plane, anyone had experience of the Proxxon mini table saw. I need to cut some strips of timber and a table saw would be ideal, however I have neither the space nor the funds for a full size one.
????
Growing old disgracefully in Queensland
http://modelandtoysteamforum.myfineforum.org/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proxxon Mini table saw?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 03:21:11 am »

Geoff........ I have the FKS/E Proxxon table saw.........[may need to see the Bank manager for a loan]........but a magnificent machine :-))

I am pretty sure our Moderator Peter also has the same saw........

The newer or latest version...the FET model [20270] has an improved adjustment for plank width setting

PS.......I have purchased three [3] spare TCT blades from China..........for $21.00/3 delivered  to Australia  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

verithingeoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:23:29 am »

That's a lot of money for a very limited use Derek :o 

Looks like a great machine though

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 07:46:27 am »

I have the smaller of them, with a max cut depth of 10mm. It is superb and does not take up much room or cash!

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 07:50:55 am »

I've got the KS230. It's an excellent machine capable of producing accurate cuts, but the depth of cut somewhat limits the thickness of materials you can feed into it. That said, it's superb for the sort of sheet materials we tend to use. Feed the stock through slowly - and buy a handful of spare blades off the 'bay. There's nothing worse than running out!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

verithingeoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 07:58:52 am »

and buy a handful of spare blades off the 'bay.Andy

Link?

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 08:32:12 am »

Powertoolcentre do the Proxxon HSS 58mm Crosscut Super Cut Blade 10mm Bore for £10.99, free P&P and in the UK only. But search around - I got two for £15 a few months ago.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

verithingeoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 08:45:47 am »

:-)) 

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 10:57:28 am »

I have the FKS/E had it about 8 years absolutely brilliant with a fine blade the cuts have near enough a planed finish.

:-)) :-)) :-))

Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:13:48 am »

I do have that saw Derek, and it's great for cutting planks.

Peter.

verithingeoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 09:51:53 am »

Bought the Proxxon KS230, arrived today and it's a real gem. Cuts really well and the fence is rock solid so repeat cuts are a doddle, highly recommended. 

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 12:43:20 pm »

I have a small table saw, that does planks down to about 2mm easily, with a great finish. I runs with a fine tooth 200mm blade. I have recently bought a full size table saw from lidl, but the blade slot doesn't support small thickness cuts, which would make it more difficult to use. (I may have to see if I can make a sacrificial slot filler to help this.)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 01:08:14 am »

I had the same problem on my saw , to over come this I used a sheet of 6mm ply and VERY carefully lowered it down on to the blade so that it cut through . The table was set high then lowered slowly, the slot for the blade is just the thicknesses of the blade . It worked for me , be aware it could kick .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 06:38:22 pm »

When cutting planking strips, whether it is a big saw or a model makers one. ( I have 12 inch industrial Wadkin down the shed but use a Bohler micro saw from Germany, still available although sold by a new company now and much cheaper than the Proxxon) I use this method which is to be recommended for safety and makes very accurate planks.

Set your depth of cut plus a few millimeters. Set the fence to blade measurement to what you want for the planking, then cut a piece of scrap 3mm plywood tight up to the fence making a slot halfway along the 3mm ply, ie. stop when the back edge reaches the back of the saw table, you can use a 2 inch wide strip, which will do the job. Allow an extra 1/4 inch on the front and back. A piece of 6mm (1/4 inch) square stuck underneath along the front edge and the back edge of the scrap piece will stop it sliding backwards or forwards on the table. This aids the grip on the wood to be cut, it is more stable and it covers the inevitable gap around most blades. Make a push stick from wood that will fit in the gap between the fence and the blade. (Keep these jigs for next time as well)
While it is not very Health and Safety PC, this works better without the writhing knife as fitted to the saw. Don't let your fingers hold down the wood anywhere!!!, use the wooden push sticks.

Hope this helps. RON.

dirkske

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 05:28:48 am »

When cutting planking strips, whether it is a big saw or a model
 makers one. .... I use this method which is to be recommended for safety and makes very accurate planks. ....

Great tip, thanks.
 :-))

By the way, I have the small one, but sometime whish I had the bigger one as well, for thicker materials. The narrow blade is usefull for thin material. Although, for instance, too little power for sensible 5mm aircraft grade ply cutting.
I would probably buy a bandsaw instead of the larger table saw though, still undecided.

deltaman

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 12:02:12 pm »

I have a Delta band saw that i use, I find with few home made modifications that I can use this to cut most items I need safely, make sure that you have a good quality blade in that is sharp, this will give a very accurate cut, never force the cut.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 04:19:05 pm »

I bought a Proxxon drill today. I was eyeing up the other tools, particularly the table saw, but as I'd already spent quite a bit on other tools and materials (being a newcomer) I thought I'd better leave it for today! 

I can definitely see additions in the future though!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 05:18:37 pm »

Well now, if you're in Warwick, you can go back to the show on Sunday and offer to take the table saw off their hands to save them from taking it all the way home!!!...they are very good little saws...How was the show by the way?

Ron.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 09:07:59 pm »

Ron

Don't tempt me! The good thing (or bad!  %) ) is that Axminster Tools are only in Nuneaton which is not far from me.                       
Being a newcomer, I had no real benchmark for the show, but I thought it very good. My neighbour, who has been before, said it was the best he's been to. Plenty and diverse boats on display and a good number of business stands/suppliers which meant I got everything I wanted without any trouble.

As you know, some (most actually) of the boats are fantastic examples of the modellers art and are either inspirational or depressing depending on your perspective!

I probably fall somewhere in the middle and am glad I stumbled across the Fairey range of boats to focus on as they will provide me with a lot of satisfaction but aren't too detailed and so shouldn't take too long to build.     

I'm full of admiration for the guys who build warships and other detailed boats but can't see me wanting to commit to the time and work involved. Plus I'd be afraid of sailing them!             

Certainly glad I went and had a very enjoyable few hours.

Chris     
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.