Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fibre glassing the outside of a wooden hull  (Read 2230 times)

stringer

• Full Mayhemer
fibre glassing the outside of a wooden hull
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:49:13 pm »

fibre glassing the outside of a wooden hull
Hi fellow modellers
I stopped work on my 52" VO 60 Ocean racer in late 2013 due to moving to Dorset from Bristol, I have now started work on her again, and have fibre glassed the hull internally before adding the R/C for the sails and false deck, this has now been completed and I am ready to fibre glass the external hull and I would like to know how the fibre glass ends where it meets the false deck???
should I trim it level with the false deck, or allow it to run over onto the deck, I will be planking the false deck using waterproof glue and brass nails and I am concerned whether there will be a good seal between the glue and the fibre glass.
can someone give me some help here please
Geoff
you will never fail as long as you try

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: fibre glassing the outside of a wooden hull
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:37:03 am »

Cut it flush with the false deck.  If you try and fold it over the edge you will almost certainly end up with the glass cloth lifting away from the hull surface in places as well as leaving yourself with an uneven surface on which to lay your deck planks.  So make sure the cloth is well wetted and pressed firmly against the hull when you lay it, then slice off the overhanging cloth once the resin has set up, sand the edge flush and lay your deck.  You don't say which glue you will use, but assuming you are also going to varnish/paint over the hull and deck you should have no problem with water penetrating between the deck and the hull.
Any chance of a picture of your hull?  I am sure many of us would love to see your model.  Not sure how many Volvo 60s had planked decks but I reckon your model will look great!

Happy building

Greg

stringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »

hi Sailor Greg
thank you for replying, I used mahogany sheet 3"x 36"x 1/16" reduced to 1/2" wide strips for the hull, although I have quoted her as an VO 60 Ocean racer I have used some licence to achieve the shape I wanted, and the end result will not be an exact copy, so for her to have a planked deck is my choice, and as she is scratch built to my lofting's there will be some variations throughout
hope full you will see the photos
Geoff

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 07:15:27 pm »

Fixed.

(It's something to do with the way the camera or phone think was "up" at the time of taking the photo )   :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

stringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:27:54 pm »

Hi
thanks martin for coming to my rescue
have sorted my photos to comply with this forum
to continue, have given you more photos to show how I have built my boat, you can see there are two rudders controlled from one control on the transmitter, the keel can be removed for transport, and is held in place by two 1/4" Diameter brass threaded rods in bedded in the keel and passing them through tubes in the hull where they can be secured by wing nuts in a hatch in the cabin, the sails are controlled by a servo winch turning a cord around a circuit which has a spring tied in to remove the shock when changing direction of the winch
will continue with more later as I progress with the build and fibre glassing the hull
I do have a problem with hatch covers that need to be water tight any ideas anyone
regards Geoff 

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:54:29 pm »

Impressive!  Now you have managed to turn her right way up, I hope we can look forward to some progress shots.  How much lead are you going to hang on the end of that fin?  Quite a bit I imagine if you plan a full scale rig.   Loving it!

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.