Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinese ESC  (Read 3343 times)

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
Chinese ESC
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:48:21 am »

Hi all, does anyone use one of these? And do they give full speed in reverse?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1040-60A-Waterproof-Brushed-ESC-5V-2A-Controller-for-Hobbywing-Quicrun-Car-/201681177621?hash=item2ef5228c15:g:qaMAAOSwiwVWRfbx

I believe them to be copies of Quicrun units...which look like they are only half speed reverse.
 For under a tenner, they look pretty good value.
I also have a couple of cheap chinese 320A? esc's (which I only use for bench testing)..............but they only give half speed in reverse, so didn't want to buy a couple only to find these do to.
Many thanks.

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
Re: Chinese ESC
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:58:08 am »

Obviously no-one has used them then?
or does no-one want to admit using one? :D

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:51:57 am »

I use cheap Chinese gear. (although not that particular model)

There, I said it.  %)

I'm not ashamed.

My philosophy is most fun per £ per boat on the water. No point spending a fortune on parts if the finances mean the thing never gets finished. (who really needs brushless/Lipo on a paddle steamer?)

It all works fine - for my models - which are mainly slow moving scale models.

They are cheap as chips so I can have as many controllers, radio sets, lighting rigs and crappy 'clone' servos as I want. I haven't had one single failure - EVER- so I will happily use them.

BUT - IF I was building super-high-performance racing models, I might spend more on components - horses for courses really.

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:48:16 pm »

cheers Plastic.....might be sticking to Mtroniks for the foreseeable future...as I do like the full astern that you get from them.... :-))

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 06:53:30 pm »

I can't think why you need full reverse - unless you have something huge with a small motor that needs a lot of stopping ?

1/32 Supertanker with a Speed 500?  {-)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:01:41 pm »

Also - I use the Hobbyking £16 2.4GHz 4-channel radios, the '5 for £10' mini servos, those '120A' £6  speed controllers and the £4 385 motors - even cheaper are the £1 water pumps from China that have nice 385 motors - and after introducing the pump to my hammer, I get very cheap motors.

I like to get all my models on the water for less than £100 all in - so if it sinks, I don't lose too much. (although I've not lost one yet.)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:06:42 pm »

Gotta link for the water pumps please?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 07:10:02 pm »

I can't think why you need full reverse - unless you have something huge with a small motor that needs a lot of stopping ?
Perhaps for a bow thruster?
I'm sure we're all extremely grateful for your list of thrifty oriental acquisitions, even if it has no bearing on the original question.
DM

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 07:12:23 pm »

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:14:00 pm »

Perhaps for a bow thruster?
I'm sure we're all extremely grateful for your list of thrifty oriental acquisitions, even if it has no bearing on the original question.
DM

Why bother with electronic control of a bow thruster? A couple of microswitches on a servo is surely all the 'fine' control needed?

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 07:45:37 pm »

Not a bow thruster....it is for a 385 motor in my Dickie work boat, so a little tug.....when I had the cheapy £8 chinese ESC in it, I found that when reverse was selected, at half speed it took a while to stop. and no power when in reverse, so I prefer the full reverse..

inertia

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 07:47:12 pm »

Why bother with electronic control of a bow thruster? A couple of microswitches on a servo is surely all the 'fine' control needed?
Microswitches on a servo? Welcome to the 21st century. There is nothing "fine" about the choice between either dead stop or full speed when your thruster has a Speed 400 on 7.2v. Many such bow-thrusters have a plain, flat paddle inside the tube, usually just moulded or glued onto a knurled shaft. The continued shock of being switched from stop to full speed will eventually break this joint, causing the paddle to remain stopped while the shaft spins. At that stage it might be difficult to take the thruster apart and replace the paddle or, as in most cases, impossible. I've seen it happen too many times to think that an on/off switch is the best option.
Suit yourself.
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.