The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

hatch covers

(1/4) > >>

stringer:
Hi
I am asking for help in constructing hatch covers, I am at this stage in my scratch build of a VO 60 ocean racing yacht, I have seen yachts with plastic covers with tape holding them down and would like something more substantial and as low as possible to the deck creating its own watertight seal able to be removed and replaced easily, a problem that's keeping me awake at night and holding up the build. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me, this is a big forum, I am hoping there are clever people who have also met this problem, and can help me here.
regards Geoff

unbuiltnautilus:
Well there is a challenge. If your decks are flush with no coaming I would suggest something like this. A flat hatch with a tongue that can tuck UNDER one end of the hatch. At the other end, a sticky up threaded stud, mounted through the main deck and through the removable hatch. This gives you the basics of a hatch with just one screw down fitting.
That's the good news! Now you need to take into account some sort of foam seal, which is soft enough not to deform when tightened down, also some sort of stiffening to the top of the hatch, for the same reason.
You could go with some sort of low profile, laminated hatch, the layers providing the stiffness.
Your sticky up thread could be disguised with a ships wheel and up stand, or satellite dish mount or some such..

stringer:
hi unbuiltnautilus
I like this idea, have ordered 3/16 ply to make hatch covers, the side view of  the hatch cover in the centre would be flat on the deck, whilst looking from the front of the yacht the side edges of the cover would be higher due to the curve of the deck, I am now thinking if I can steam the cover, and form it to follow the curve of the deck, and overlap the hatch opening by 1/4" all round to allow for the seal I can use your idea of securing it down.
 I will need to wait for my wood to be delivered, and let you know if it works.
thanks for replying   

Netleyned:
Make sure you use closed cell foam as cheapo draught excluder foam
acts like a sponge and soaks up water which in turn keeps the wood wet
long after you have left the pond.

Ned

stringer:

hi Netleyned
thanks for your reply, as I was going to use draught excluder, but will now look for closed cell ?, have not heard of this before, any idea  where I can obtain it
regards Geoff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version