Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Telford IPMS: November 12, 2016 - November 13, 2016
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Telford Scale Model World IPMS  (Read 12162 times)

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
Telford Scale Model World IPMS
« on: October 22, 2016, 09:17:46 pm »

Just as a  reminder Telford Scale Model World IPMS  takes place  12th -13th November . For those that have not had an opportunity  to visit this huge event [ largest of its kind in Europe]  it is well worth the effort  with thousands of models to see and  a trade impute that is truly  international .     

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Telford Scale Model World IPMS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:02:53 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 10:40:49 am »

I shall probably do the same. Not been to the IPMS before.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:28:35 pm »

This is my 2nd time to a IPMS type show, the 1st one had so many models, displays without any notes or index to the models, is this normal?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 04:37:42 pm »

Military modelling shows seem to be quite hit and miss where labels and signs are concerned. Sometimes some work in progress photos are put out and sometimes a small potted history of a scene recreated. I don't recall our club in Bognor doing much with display apart from beize and models with a few hands off signs and the club name board.
Pond weed is your enemy

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 06:37:01 pm »

This is my 2nd time to a IPMS type show, the 1st one had so many models, displays without any notes or index to the models, is this normal?

I'm afraid that it is.
I shall be there on the Sunday after spending the previous day at the NEC for the Classic Car Show.

LB

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 10:29:22 pm »

Well ill be there with the family drumming up support and new traders for Blackpool next year........biggest hint of whats in Blackpool next year

Dave

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 12:11:51 pm »

We had a convert.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »

I took a bit of flak on here a while back for apparently suggesting that plastic modellers were mainly just kit bashers with  less original input to the model than the more mainstream boat modellers. I was informed in no uncertain terms that there is a lot of scratchbuilding that goes into the models that you see at the IPMS show so I took the opportunity to go along to Telford yesterday to have a look for myself.

I agree that there are indeed some superb examples of scratchbuilding at the IPMS show, there was a wonderful large model of HMS Dreadnought for example but looking around, I still gained the impression that the show is largely aimed at those who purchase commercial kits and either make them or modify them to a greater or lesser extent, often using off the shelf components of which there was a huge selection on sale from the traders present. Obviously there is an enormous amount of talent invested in painting and finishing and I was very impressed with the intricacy of much of this but the modelling is rather different in nature to what I am used to and enjoy. Each to his/her own of course.

People have also told me that IPMS is much bigger than Warwick and it is true that it does occupy much more accommodation but there was a lot of unused space at Telford and many of the club stands consisted of serried rows of very similar models occupying quite large acreages. Displaying umpteen versions of the same plane in different liveries and markings is probably of limited interest to other than the diehard aviation experts. The exhibits did show up the relative lesser popularity of marine subjects though. The majority of the exhibits seemed to be overwhelmingly aircraft/spacecraft and military relates while almost all the marine models were warships of one type or another.

Obviously I am biased in terms of my own interests but I did feel that Warwick provided a richer show environment for us marine types at least with its excellent and imaginative club stands and ongoing pool activities.

And I bet the steak & kidney pie was better too!

Colin

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 03:26:42 pm »

As many know I am a dedicated wet modeller and build models that  do  go out on the water  Yet Telford Scale Model World  although essentially  show case static  is for me a big draw and has been for many years .As I was saying to Martin it is a pity both shows are on at the same time   but that's as it is  . For me   when visiting Telford SMW it is  best to go with a completely open mind and try not to view the event through the eyes of a model boater , it's different but it is that difference  that makes the show work for me . The competition has for the first time introduced a section for  scratch built model  ships   but putting the competition to one  side  and just viewing  the vast number of traders is an all consuming task especially  in one day , I suppose  trying to compare Telford to a major model boat event can be like comparing apples and pears , they are different but I like them both.
Bowwave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 03:45:23 pm »

Yes Dave, it is just what appeals to each individual really we all have our own preferences. I like alternative shows too but the sadly now probably defunct Brighton Modelworld hits the spot for me with its sheer variety of different types of modelling under one roof, not unlike the Model Engineer Exhibition in its Wembley heyday.

Sorry I didn't see you yesterday, I did look very hard but only managed to find Dave Abbott in the end plus Martin found me!

Colin

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 04:19:00 pm »

Hi Colin  Yep looked out for you  but its just luck than any body can fine any one in such a busy setting.  Saw Martin a number of times and  Dave Abbott .  Yes I too remember  the MEEs   when there was a real cross section of modelling interest , even the IPMS attended the MEEs back then .
Bowwave  :-)) 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »

Yes, very interesting show, my tuppence worth;

Huge show, really big. Three halls, the smallest of which could house the whole of Warwick show!
The two larger halls could house Warwick show twice over.

Lots or traders and clubs and individual stands and displays, Airfix, had biggest trade stand but some fairly large trader stands too.
Lots of IPMS members and  large number general public visitors, including me.
IPMS can get in at 9:00 and once the doors opened to the public at 10 o'clock, the long entrance line was cleared within 10 minutes!
Well done IPMS / Telford centre stall, Great organisation!

As Colin said, lots of aeroplanes especially Spitfires, hundreds of the things! After a short while you just become completely indifferent to them.... Lots of other subjects modelled, at a guess 70% military. I couldn't tell what was kit and what wasn't, apart from some obvious unique models. Painting, spraying & weathering seems to be the true art or IPMS and many outstanding paint jobs were to be seen on most stands, "Accurate but understated" paint jobs seems to be the ' Nirvana' for IPMSer's and damn good were many of them!
I was mainly looking for marine models, enough not to be disappointing but not enough to be impressed.
I also have a passion for dramas, sci-fi and characterisations, again enough but was hoping for more.

Layout was good, with full use of all the space and something I hadn't experienced for a long while at a show.... nice   wide   aisles!
Catering left a lot to be desired.....?!?!? -  Warwick won - Telford Nil!
£4 quid parking right outside the front door and large shopping centre over the road.
Excessive amount of announcements during the day on a excessively LOUD Tannoy.
Most announcements were for the Remembrance Day 2 minute silence.... but excessive to the point of tell us to keep silence and take hats off. Obviously not begrudging the time but 2 minutes, turned into 3, then 4. Then we heard some far off yelling, which turned out to be 'military' orders to play 'the Last Post'.......  the most moving rendition I've ever heard.

Very few bargains to be seen, maybe glue, knives, tools etc, but lots & lots & lots ........ &  LOTS of kits on sale, per-release to vintage, how deep are your pockets or generous your credit card!
Still love to 'man watch’ a spouse being dragged around with complete disinterest & bemusement to hubbies bubbling enthusiasm ...
.... until he says he wants to buy something! "Another kit?! You have dozens unbuilt already!"  {-)

Addition: I was somehow disjointed with the entries in the competition area upstairs .... but don't know why?!?

Would I go again.... probably yes.

This was my favourite model of the whole show! Gromit operates R2-DE2!
-  Gave him a Mayhem Medal of honour.
 Many more photos to follow.....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 06:48:17 pm »

Martin, the car park was full when I arrived at 10:15 so I used the multi storey just over the road - £1 all day.  :-))

I did buy several bits and pieces including some well priced styrene strip sections and a couple of razor saws at £2.99 each.

Some imaginative space models certainly, but where does the guy who put together the giant Battlestar Galactica display keep it at home? It needs a barn rather than a shed....

Unless he stores it in hyperspace somewhere but maybe a risk of warping if he does that.  %)

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 07:15:22 pm »

Martin, the car park was full when I arrived at 10:15 so I used the multi storey just over the road - £1 all day.  :-))

I did buy several bits and pieces including some well priced styrene strip sections and a couple of razor saws at £2.99 each.

Some imaginative space models certainly, but where does the guy who put together the giant Battlestar Galactica display keep it at home? It needs a barn rather than a shed....

Unless he stores it in hyperspace somewhere but maybe a risk of warping if he does that.  %)

Colin
Any pics of the Galactica Display ?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 07:31:19 pm »

Not by me, I didn't get the camera out at Telford I'm afraid.

Colin

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »

Not by me, I didn't get the camera out at Telford I'm afraid.

Colin

????????????????

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:59 pm »

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 09:43:08 pm »

Very Nice...:-) Thanks..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 10:14:33 pm »

I know it may seem odd not to take pictures LB but usually I take them for a reason. Telford wasn't really my my sort of modelling so I am unlikely to have looked at them again. I'm sure that Bowave will have ferreted out the very best marine examples which will appear in Model Boats in due course. He knows more about the exhibits and their significance as models. Most of the Telford marine exhibits were small grey warships at various scales. I am already familiar with just about all of them through my interest in Naval history. The Trumpeter Hood was interesting but again it is yet another HMS Hood. I understand why as it is the Hoods and Titanics and Victories that are commercially viable but it does mean that a lot of other interesting ships will never be covered at large scale - you need conventional scale boat modelling from plans for that. Although I do like Science fiction I have never really warmed to the TV and cinema offerings since 2001 appeared as they are very much simplified for the visual audience compared with decent SF fiction. Many of the spaceships in these visual epics remind me of the Pompidou Centre in Paris - all the plumbing is on the outside. but I am afraid I was brought up on the original Dan Dare in the Eagle!

Colin

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:11 am »

Hi Colin  yes I recall the Eagle comic  with fondness  , my favourite  was the centre page , the pull out of all things  with an engineering bent , especially as the graphics for the period 1950s was inspiring  and I  was also  a follower of the intrepid Dan Dare and his side kick , I think it was Digby   .
Bowwave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 10:50:20 am »

Bring on the Mekon  8)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 11:32:40 am »

Telford IPMS 2016

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 11:35:16 am »

Telford IPMS 2016

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.