Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• BLACKPOOL MODEL BOAT SHOW: October 21, 2017 - October 22, 2017
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BLACKPOOL MODEL BOAT SHOW 2017 OCT 21/22  (Read 44471 times)

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BLACKPOOL MODEL BOAT SHOW 2017 OCT 21/22
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2017, 01:13:08 pm »

Sorry I couldn’t attend this year, all set to come down today, but unfortunately ended up in hospital, what a bummer, it sounds as though I’m missing a cracking show {:-{
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Stavros

« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2017, 01:15:26 pm »

Thinking of you m8 get better soon...Kelly sends her love

Dave

T33cno

« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2017, 01:17:41 pm »

Wifey just bought me a 1/12th Shannon class  8)

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2017, 01:23:30 pm »

Great show the atmosphere was buzzing ,i was  talking to one trader who said it was the best show of the year by far .
Well done to Lain and Stavros and all those who made the effort and attended the show.

Dave  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2017, 01:51:34 pm »

Thinking of you m8 get better soon...Kelly sends her love

Dave
Thanks mate, tell Kelly and the kids I’m asking for them and sorry about the sausage pies, I’ll bring some the next time I see you all. :-))
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2017, 05:17:54 pm »

brilliant show, with a great friendly buzz to it.............met many old friends there.....saw dave wooley in the distance but like a will o' the wisp when I went to chat he's gone...........see you soon old friend......

fantastic array of models , and sadly before I could add mike pendlebury's sons LARS  unit to my collection he and dad had gone.........but that should have been added to my personal choice of my own favourite models in the show, in no particular order.

the following pages are my choice.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2017, 05:21:44 pm »

next lot.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2017, 05:34:02 pm »

and the final ones as shown, but I have to say that the last two of the diorama of St Andrews Dock hull had to be the one that made the hairs on the back of my neck tingle and above all the models including as you know my preference for model lifeboats, this was the icing on a 5 tier cake.

Why?.

many people who looked at it without looking closely at the trawlers in the dock or reading the folder supplied will not have realised that this was a wonderful, beautiful and fitting tribute and monument to [all] those trawlermen who have been lost with their ships over the past 6 decades of fishing from Britain, and Hull in particular, ..........for every one of the trawlers modelled and in the docks have either been lost with all hands and or sunk with a great loss of life.

And had I not wiped my tears away, coming from another fishing port, Fleetwood with similar losses in my lifetime, I would have made an ass of myself in that busy hall. IT WAS/IS  a wonderful model.Even the tug Lloydsman that took a very "ACTIVE" part in the "cod wars" of the 70'2 was represented at the exit of the main locks to St Andrews dock.

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2017, 06:03:13 pm »

Ray I'll pm you when I've got home from running the show

Dave
thanks dave  :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2017, 08:42:55 pm »

THANKS
Many thanks for posting the pictures, Neil.  I spent far too much of the show wringing sense out of the competition to actually see much of it. 
Some statistics - I don't have any idea how many models were there, but, there was over 230 models on the score sheet list that the various "volunteer" judges who gave up a chunk of their pleasure time had nominated.  Hopefully, nobody went away disappointed, because the standard of exhibits was incredibly high, and the winners were truly exceptional.
A really important statistic - the Bring N Buy raised £1147.50 for the RNLI, composed of the commission that is charged, plus some of the items sold are donations.  Last year was amazing, this year was unbelievable.  Thanks to the team for their efforts, also to Component Shop for providing such a generous facility at a show that they are paying for.

And thanks to all who braved the weather to get there.  Without the guests, there is no show.

Malcolm Frary
Chairman, Blackpool & Fylde MBC

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

T33cno

« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2017, 08:47:10 pm »

Jolly good show and much appreciated  :-))  Yes the weather was dreadful and wifey had to forgo staying to see the lights . I'm so glad  {-)

Total spend £1055  %%

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2017, 10:06:36 pm »

:-))
Excellent show well worth the trip, Managed to keep the spending to a minimum  {:-{  will definitely be returning next year.

Starspider

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2017, 10:36:26 am »

Just to add my thanks to the organisers. Also my thanks to the modellers who displayed their models.
Had a great time spent some money  :-))  also spent longer than expected watching the trucks, tanks and diggers a nice addition in my view may even be tempted. So will see you next year with grandson so long as you have diggers and lifeboats for him to see lol.
Thanks again for a great Saturday.
Colin

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2017, 10:54:37 am »

Hello,

Really, really enjoyed the Show.
Yes, the weather was bad, but it was soon forgotten once inside the halls.
Met lots of very nice people, talking about my boats and exchanging ideas.
Roll on next year, I am sure it will get even better !!.

John.  :-))   :-))   :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2017, 12:33:42 pm »

Hi all the weather this weekend at Blackpool was very windy and wet but the sunshine certainly shone on the Blackpool show. Trade support was excellent. Club stands were all to a very high standard and once again model tanks and trucks proved very popular. May be a sign of things to come in the future. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Iain and Natasha and all the staff of Component Shop, Stavros and the Blackpool and Fylde  M B C  for all the hard work that is needed to make the event a success. It was 20  years to the month  since I bought the hull of Gambier Bay from A Seddon at the Blackpool Model show which took place in the Blackpool Tower. This weekend was the last time that Gambier Bay will be seen on public display as it his now getting very hard to transport and put away after shows so now is the time for its retirement. It came as a complete surprise winning best naval vessel, a fitting end to a model  that has been around since 2009. I would like to thank you all for you comments on this model it has made it worthwhile taking it to shows.

Stan Reffin
Kirklees Model Boat Club. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:44 pm »

Hello,
My Stand at the Blackpool Show.
Loads of room!!.
John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Stavros

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2017, 09:33:38 pm »

Anyone lost a transmitter at the show...if so pm me to let me know roughly where you lost it and definitely the make and model as I have it

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »

Right then an organiser perspective on the show

Thursday....arrived at the venue

At around 7pm  Nige arrived with a van load of Equipment so that was duly offloaded into the hall of the Hotel and Nige went to book into his hotel.
I then started to set out the hall so the lads could in the morning set out the tables.....first job was to move all the show flooring that had been left by a previous show.
Then I started to set up the hall for our club stands,Nige soon arrived back and we then carried on moving the tables to form the basis of the rows.
930 Iain arrived and we then proceeded to put the pool up and water was flowing into it at around 11pm.I must confess that a few pints was also consumed...thirsty work this show malarkey !!!!
We then carried on putting up the rows of tables and then moved all the table stacks into the rows ready for the mng.
The Component shop stand was next and we actually got to bed at 130am
Approx mileage walked 6.5 miles
Friday

Myself and Iain were in the Hall at 7am ready for the lads from Fleetwood and Blackpool clubs to assist with setting up.250 tables were soon put into place in the Main Halls and the Ballroom and all the chairs were put into place.
The pool was filled by around 11am which was a record for us !
Soon the clubs and traders arrived and were soon setting up
The bring and buy was full by around 6pm and boats were being sold even then.
Around 630pm we had a what could be called as a Major panic as Iain noticed the pool sides were bulging so he went out to B&Q and got some plywood and this was soon attatched to the pool sides...crisis over.
A cpouple of traders rang to inform us they were stuck in traffic and asked if we were still there....the Last trader arrived at 11pm and was soon set up and we went to bed at 1130.
Total mileage actually walked was 10.5

Saturday

Myself and Iain were in the hall at 730 and the traders and the club lads arrived and we were ready to open at 10am.
The public simply poured in all day and the girls said it didnt stop till around 330pm.
A rough total for the day was 1100 a Show record for us
Everything was locked down by 6pm and a few more beers were consumed.

Mileage walked was 6.5

Sunday

We were in the hall at 830 ready for the traders and clubs to come in and we opened the doors at 10 am
Yet again the public piled in ok not as busy as the sat But significantly more than last year

The award were presented at 3 and then the big strip down commenced....The pool was emptied and all the tables and show infrastructure was all taken down by 7pm

Mileage walked was 7.5

So the conclusion to this was I actually walked a total of 31 MILES !!!!!!!!!!!...MMMM no wonder my little legs were throbbing

Right then a big congratulations must go to all the show winners in all the categories,especially the Best in show as this was trashed in a break in a few years ago and had to have a new hull and fully rebuilt so in my opinion a worthy winner.

Right then you who attended will have seen my Model railway and some commented Yes we need more...so yes we are branching out next year...excuse the pun....after all it is a model show as well as a Boat show.
Thereare also Big plans for next year as 5 new clubs want to join us...Wait and see is all I can say...it will be Awesome Trust me on this.

Right then I need to THANKS quite a few People for their HELP in putting this show on,and in no particular order either.

The general Public who came to the show
All the clubs who cam and displayed
The St John Ambulance
Blackpool model boat club members setting up and all the donkey work
Fleetwood model boat club members setting up and all the donkey work
Nigel Davies for getting a van load of show stuff up to the venue and all his hard work
The Hotel staff who bent over backwards to help
The girls and David on the front door
Adrian(granddad ha ha) for doing the announcement at the end
Iains Daughters for doing the advance tickets scanning
Kelly my long suffering wife who looked after the girls all weekend and didn't see me at all
Ma and Pa for helping Kelly
Last but not at all least as Believe you Me on this one they both have worked so so hard in putting this on
Iain and Natasha Lewis of Component shop for putting up the monies to run the show

I thank you all for your HELP

Dave....

jimmyc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2017, 01:08:02 pm »

Best Blackpool show we have been to.  Well done to all who organised and took part.   Well worth the trip up from Jersey, all of us enjoyed it. :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2017, 05:25:19 pm »

Hello,
Yes, the weather was bad, but it was soon forgotten once inside the halls.
John.  :-))   :-))   :-))

it was quite a gentle breaze for us lot up on the Fylde coast, john..........we get used to walking at 45 degrees from birth,  {-) {-) {-)

on a serious note.........I loved the way the hall was set out, and made looking at all the models very easy. A first class job and those that all helped to make this, my local show, a great success should be very proud of their efforts.

thank you every one.....it was wonderful, and so nice to meet so many old friends.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2017, 06:05:29 pm »

Dave, I was there on Sunday and the atmosphere in the 2 halls was superb, the traders seemed to be doing a roaring trade, queues at most stands. the clubs were kept busy with onlookers and happy to answer my questions. the bring and buy seemed well supported and the truck and tank  areas were in use all the time.
The way this year went, I can see you going down the wide corridor towards the rear of the hotel, like it was years ago. more clubs booking, hopefully more traders once the word gets round.

31 miles of walking, several sets of fingernails, sleepless nights, YOU did us proud. Event management is a thankless job, especially when faced with the tailend of a tropical storm. Everyone I spoke to were complimentary.

Just 1 question, how did you get rid of the water from the pool???

My compliments for a superb show

Regards

Mark

Tugs are for pulling

Stavros

« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:07 pm »

Getting the water out of the pool was very simple threw a pump into it and away it went

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »

WoW  is that Elderflower lovely jubly !!!!

Dave

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:17 pm »

Well while you lot were all enjoying the show inside, I Won a prize , Yes I did !!, It was the outdoor Submarine race ,( What you did not see that one on the Competitions List )  unfortunately due to a little storm, Brian the underwater Cameras were not operational so I only have the surface shots.. Start ,half way and Finish..  :}

And one thing I did learn from this was not to leave it around when you have a teenage Child !!!!

Iain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2017, 09:51:53 pm »

Apologies for the delay doing this - been a bit busy the last couple of days! A massive than you to everyone who made the Blackpool Model Show such a great weekend, whilst I put in many. many hours of work to organise the event in advance, it wouldn't have happened without Stavros' help on the run up to & over the weekend, the Blackpool & Fleetwood clubs assistance, George Barnes, Pam, Elaine & David on the door, Jenny & Katya doing their best to scan tickets with faltering wifi, Ann for looking after the pool, John Sidebottom for bringing boats for kids to have a go, Susan & everyone else on the bring & buy, the staff of the hotel for being just superb (the fabric of the Norbreck, as we know, is not without its problems, but the staff were nothing short of brilliant), Chris Burr & the lads from Durham for providing the truck roadway plus of coarse all the clubs & exhibitors for sharing the fruits of their hard work with us all. Last but by no means least is a big thank you to all those who braved a breezy Blackpool to come & visit the show, hopefully you enjoyed it as much as we did.

I know there is another post to this effect, but just in case you haven't seen it, the 2018 Blackpool Model Show will be on the 20th - 21st October (the hotel is already booked) & it will be bigger with even more variety & more stuff that you probably won't have seen before.

Until next time.....
Iain & Natasha Lewis
Component-Shop
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.