Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Argonaut - Leander Class Frigate 1/96th  (Read 47884 times)

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Argonaut - Leander Class Frigate 1/96th
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2017, 09:17:19 pm »

Did some preparations on the bridge and window panes - as I feel that this is probably the very area where one's eyes will be drawn when looking at a model, and given the various angled surfaces making up Leander bridges, it is critical to get this part absolutely right.

Bizarrely enough I felt that there was something wrong with the proportions between the windows, front of the forward superstructure and the typical 'overhang' containing the windscreen wipers, as drawn in the ship's plans. In my view, most Leander model display an incorrect proportion between the height of the windows in comparison to the overhang directly above, giving a look of 'raised eyebrows', whereas looking at photographs seem to give a more 'frowned' look....

Consequently, in an effort to try and improve, I have redrawn the entire section, basing myself on ship-board photographs and working with dividers and maintaining relative proportions: I arrived at a +/- 10% difference between my sketches and the ship's drawings !

Still, thinking everything through this logic is also partially skewed: any shipboard photograph taken from the forecastle, will be too 'near' the bridge, causing some distortion and making everything look broader than necessary or actual reality.

Not sure if the photographs show this clearly enough, but having completed two separate drawing based on two different sets of photographs, and in turn comparing these against the ship's drawing, I still cannot help the feeling things are still not right, notwithstanding all the maths applied !
This being all about the correct looks, I may compromise and settle for an intermediate solution, and see what results this given on the model.

To be continued !
E

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2017, 09:44:13 pm »

If it is +/- 10 % then that has to be damn near to the desired dimentions taking build materials and finished into account as well.

If you have got the shape and angles modified from studying reference then I reckon you are there. We are all our worst critics and sometimes 'Perfect is the enemy of good enough', or in this case very near. A quote by Krunschev I beleive.

Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2017, 08:53:16 pm »

Did some more work on the superstructure and used a scrap piece of balsa to assist with the curved front just below the bridge. Careful sanding to the required shape and than started to laminate using 1/2 mm styrene sheet, kept in place with superglue.
Still wasn't quite happy with the plans nor my own reworked drawings for the bridge windows, overhang and dimensions, so basically ended up remeasuring everything on my previous Leander and will take thing from there !

Also managed to make the superstructure making up the helicopter hangar with the aft Seacat director platform, so slowly making headway.....
To Ballastansian's point, quite agree you can't have enough cornerposts and stiffers inside styrene structures, but the end result is a very strong but also very light structure.

Enjoy the pics,
E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2017, 08:54:44 pm »

Last two photographs - bridge front of my model of HMS Danae

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2017, 09:44:53 pm »

Nice work there Eric - your superstructure looks very well braced, should withstand a bit of rough handling.

Regards,

Ray.

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »

Thanks chaps, always encouraging to hear words of support and advise.

I am trying to consider my next step now, temporarily suspend work on the superstructure and try and get the remainder of the deck in place. That will allow a major quantum leap forward, as I can then also round off the deck edges along the remainder of the hull, following which I can paint the hull grey and add the boot topping. With that out of the way, the hull will formally be completed and can then focus entirely on the superstructure and all  the detailing.
Taking that intention to the next phase, I really need to get round to detailing the Limbo and VDS wells, and also make provisions for the engine support plates, before fixing the decks in place.

So, in chronological order I see then next steps:
- pain insides of Limbo + VDS
- add as many details as possible whilst still bearing in mind I will risk damaging same when furthering the rest of the deck
- enjoy maximum access into the hull for as long as necessary and possible fitting the motors and servoes beforehand
- glue deck in place
- round off deck edges
- add styrene deck + bollards + fairleads
- add ship's name to stern sides
- add pennant number and draught marks
- sign off hull from builders
- keep call and carry on with the rest of the model (another year ?)

As a first practical step I have begun scouting for a can of the correct deck colour, and whilst I have found all the references in terms of correct colour & BS codes etc..., I appear to have hit a bump in the road in terms of finding a supplier capable of supplying the required colours ! I always used to buy my tins from White Ensign models but they no longer appear to be selling any paints (correct ?), does anyone know whether this is indeed the case and whether there are any other suppliers out there capable of delivering the usual small quantities needed for modelling purposes ?

Thanks for any help

E

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
I will finish this model

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2017, 08:35:23 pm »

White Ensign (The paints at least) were taken on by another company. I am now going to be wholly useless and admit not remembering who took them on  >>:-(

Here we go. A quick look on t'internet found this link to Sovereign hobbies: https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/white-ensign-models

I hope this helps.
Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2017, 03:34:30 pm »

Thanks for that painting advice chaps, very very useful and getting me out of a pickle. Results will be shown as soon as the paint has dried !
Brilliant, upwards and onwards !

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2017, 09:48:04 pm »

Some more work today, visible progress is slow but did put in a lot of minor tasks which are all contributing:

- added putty to the various angles and joints along the superstructure
- cut out the first of the bridge windows and glued them into place, carefully getting the angles right
- laminated the bridge 'cap', using 3 parts of 1 mm ply glued together - this is still to be rounded off
- put the angled front panels to the superstructure front
- bent the first of the bridge wings in place using litho plate - first used a balsa former to get the shape correct, took me  few attempts
- finally, constructed the funnel support structure, also by means of stretching a strip of litho plate over a balsa former

Finally, needed to deal with a rather hairy-looking spider in the workshop.... <*<

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2017, 03:15:06 pm »

Some further work on the bridge structure, and could not resist a mock-up using the parts already assembled !  %%

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2017, 03:23:29 pm »

Gents,

I was wondering if anyone on the forum might be able to help with some research and an area I am struggling to find good photographs of is the signalling deck, around the main mast and behind the bulwark containing the Aldis lights etc....

- it is unclear whether there is a passageway at the rear end, cutting through the bulwark in between the 2 main search:signalling light, and leading onto the funnel-carrying structure - does anybody know ?

- also, I could do with some photographs showing fittings & equipment on the inside of the bulwark, as well as the configuration of the area around the Aldis light - two appear to be on some form of raised platform, and there are also director sights just in front thereof: anyone with snapshots ?

Thanks a million for any help that could be supplied, most appreciated.

Meanwhile, I am steadily progressing the forward superstructure and will be posting photographs at the end of the weekend.

Cheers
E

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2017, 07:30:44 pm »

Finished the two masts and did some work on the emergency steering platform - have been experimenting with a composite construction using lithoplate and styrene, especially for curved angles. Still debating the pros and cons of each material, find styrene slightly easier to work with when cutting out spaces and to glue together with a simple brush stroke, but lithoplate is quite light and have the impression it creates a 'sharper' look. The main drawback I think is the need for superglue, always a little messier...so the verdict is still out, but intend to continue to use both as the building progresses.
Overall quite pleased with progress over the weekend, maanged to put in more work than I expected !
E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2017, 07:32:48 pm »

Some more {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2017, 03:03:20 pm »

I watched a video on Youtube of a Leander in service (Recruitment film I recall) and it reminded me of your model, so you are getting the right results.

I like the idea of Litho plate but am always worried about it pining off if accidently hit/ knocked with the resulting need to repair neatly. Perhaps this is the better option to trying to unbend thin brass or repair snapped plastic. All have their pros and cons. You can get Aluminium solders but beleive they are expensive due to Aluminium being tricksy to join.

Lovely work  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2017, 04:01:10 pm »

Thanks Ballastanksian,

Interesting to read you comment about the Youtube film featuring Leanders - are you referring to the one called 'frigate - 1973' or another one still ? I'd be very interested to know.

Also, good point about the aluminium bonding material, I need to do some more experimenting with this material still.

Cheers
E

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:10 pm »

It was 'Frigate' 1973 that I watched followed by one on the Cod wars that had a couple of Leanders in. It was a compilation of news reports from an Icelandic Gunboat.

I like the idea of Aluminium because of it's light weight. I have considered using small physical connectors in the form of aluminium wire rivets as well as glue. On the matter of soldering metals. I was taught by a friend to use small rods to actually hold pieces together before soldering to keep them in place providing they do not effect the look of the finished model/piece.

Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2017, 08:15:01 pm »

Did some further work on my bridge structure, carved my balsa former for the port side bridge wing and also added the first of the bulwarks around the signal platform.
Did a lot of sanding around the bridge front, added a first layer of primer to highlight any remaining cracks and finally started work on the liferaft 'racks'.
Some photographs to show progress....

E

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2017, 09:26:51 pm »

I hate doing curvy bits on models and think your wings have come out good.
Pond weed is your enemy

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2017, 04:37:06 pm »

Thanks, must confess litho plate is growing on me and excellent for these curved parts - whilst I did not particularly looked forward to this part of the build, in reality things were far more straightforward than I ever could have imagined - the balsa template allowed an accurate litho cut out, including the recess for the navigation lights in their correct position, which then only needed gluing in place and job done. Do not think it took me more than an hour all told.

The other lesson learned was to remove the remains of the ink left on the litho plate before fixing into place, have had some 'bleed' when spraying the primer on and that reacting with the printing inks.

Most time seems to be spent filling and then endlessly sanding the joint where the litho meets the styrene....so far quite happy. Am now looking to find a thin strip of veneer which I can use to imitate that mahogany on top of the bridge wing bulwarks - remember having used thin foils typically contained in cigar boxes in the olden days, but harder to come by and a little brittle...

E

crabbersnipe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2017, 04:46:24 pm »

This won't come as a surprise but it is simply mind-boggling what degree of differences there are between individual Leanders, even in areas where one doesn't expect it - one would imagine that early on in their careers these ships would far more similar, before the modifications began, but it seems as if every yard did have some leeway with the MoD's specifications !

One or two examples to illustrate : there seem to be two types of RAS points on the bridge front, one being a quite simple 'triangular' construction made up of two parts, whereas other ships have a more 'Z' like contraption made up of 4 parts ! I guess the former was the original design, subsequently modified/ perfectioned (making abstraction of the Seawolf variants, which replaced port and starboard hoists with only one centrally located RAS hoist).

An other area is the life raft container position lining the superstructure sides, again there appear to be various configurations.

In the absence of any detailed snapshots for each of these areas, I fear I will inevitably have to make a calculated guesstimate on how Argonaut looked and base myself on what I happen to find for any given area on other Leanders....fun and games, clearly :-). Trawling the net can be hugely satisfying when you find that one, sufficiently detailed photograph depicting a section you have been scratching your head over....no doubt the day after having glued one's best guess in place on one's model and that turning to have been completely wrong...!!!

Perhaps I ought to compile all the accumulated knowledge into a book some day...

E

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2017, 06:10:42 pm »

Lovely work, every inch a Leander! Fantastic detail work, keeping me interested every step of the way. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2017, 09:01:05 pm »

This fact is more standard than the similarities between ships of a class E. I have read that yards were allowed to build roughly within the specifications set down by the Admiralty. Destroyers are a case in point where in the early days you could have destroyers with from two to four funnels. The Tribals of pre ww1 fame had anything from three to six funnels!

Add to this the wartime changes during refit or repair and you get a confusing mix of fits and styles.
Pond weed is your enemy

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2017, 10:15:59 pm »

You could add to that the time frame as well, building HMS Bristol it is interesting to see how the ship has evolved over the years.

Bob
I will finish this model
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 23 queries.