Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: what sub ??  (Read 14408 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: what sub ??
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 10:23:07 pm »

My next build is a Sheerline Alfa.... stay tuned!  :o

Lifes too short Martin  :angel:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

Do you mean an Akula?

Wasn't aware of Sheerline making an Alfa, unless it's a newcomer.

Andy

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 03:31:53 pm »

I do have the mould for a 7 foot Alpha and intended to remake it this year but time has not been kind to me so it's still waiting in the wings as there is a fair bit of work to do to resurrect it. It has become one of those 'rowntwit' jobs.  :-\
Unfortunately there is not much call for such large subs these days as they are not only expensive to produce but handling and transporting such heavy beasts requires special consideration as the average boater can't get them in a normal family car. You also need a team to get them in the water.
Chris

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 05:47:47 pm »

...ahh the seven foot Alfa.... still have my fingers crossed  :)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

I will do it eventually Mankster but can't see far enough ahead to say when.. this years plans are shot to bits so far. It was an impressive boat, especially submerged as you were aware of the sheer mass of the thing, especially after using smaller subs. When Dennis Cater had the business he built one for the film 'SUB DOWN' and I used it during the filming. It was fitted with foreplanes and a LF aerial pod on top of the fin so it looked like an Akula. Nick Burge had at that time, built a unit to fit it and it had a powerful motor up the aft end.
The boat had a considerable turn of speed and underwater in an olympic size swimming pool, I was able to open it up. It took a while to reach max speed and took twice as long to stop going full astern. This was very disconcerting as I nearly wrecked the film company's 'prop' on the wall at the deep end. In the turn she was very impressive indeed as you could see the thing banking like an aircraft at full chat with rudders hard over. Problem was, it needed more than the width of the pool to get round and it caused more than a few beads of sweat to form on one's brow as this was the only model of this boat we had for filming.
I will eventually dedicate some time to the project but at the moment, it is on hold.
Regards. Chris

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »

I will eventually dedicate some time to the project..
Regards. Chris

Thats good enough for me  O0 With the big LA I have, I will eventually be able to recreate the scene from ~Hunt for Red October...

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 07:08:04 pm »

That LA is a rare boat! Owning that of course, you certainly know what I mean about big subs... hows your back?? ;D

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 08:27:02 pm »

Sorry, yes, Akula!  :embarrassed:
..or it maybe the Italian sub - Alfa Romeo ! ::)

Hey Chris,
Have you got the instruction in electronic form at that you can send me please?[/color]

Do you mean an Akula?

Wasn't aware of Sheerline making an Alfa, unless it's a newcomer.

Andy
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 09:04:53 pm »

If we are talking Akula, I only have the written part of instructions in electronic form, the pics, I only have in paper form so would have to get you those by post. Just while we are on the subject of electronic mail, I have it stored in 'Word' and the file size is very large so do you know a way I could reduce it to enable me to e-mail such a document. You are dealing with a 'computer cretin' here you know! These instructions are only ever sent out in kits but I am being asked for them more frequently now as they are not always supplied when someone sells a boat on to another as a second or third hand item.
Give me something to fix or build and I will show you a miracle.... give me a computer and I'll show you a pile of confusion and ignorance!
Regards..... Chris

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 09:08:19 pm »

Got to this website-

http://www.doc2pdf.net/

Use the browse facility to find the 'doc' file on your computers drive, then click on 'convert document'.

When it has done, it will show a link taking you to a PDF, click on it, and Adobe Acrobat will open up (assuming you have it installed- it's free).

Save this PDF to your hard drive, and then send it as an attachment.

Job done. Easier to do than write!

Andy

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 12:42:50 pm »

Sheerline's comments about the Los Angeles are pertinent! The size of the thing (103") is enormous and quite apart from finding a friend with a big enough car to transport it, you'll also need a crew to help you get it into and out of the water.  However its sheer size once underway is extremely impressive - it dominates the pond - and its performance is fabulous.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine at the Edinburgh SubDay in June - with our Compsec doing the wading! This was the first sail for this sub in many years and apart from a small leak round the front seals it performed admirably even managing to pass between 2 gates whilst submerged.

It's a pity my car isn't big enough to get it to the Barrow SubDay this weekend (2nd)  - but I will be there with my upgraded Trafalgar which is a great boat.   

Andrew

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 03:16:45 pm »

Looking good Andy! When that boat is submerged and underway, it represents a considerable mass. Whilst in Luxumbourg, I ( accidently of course  ::) ) rammed a diver whilst careering along about 6 foot down. I was using a static underwater camera unit and driving the sub via the tv screen so it was extremely clear vision. The boat bowled this six foot bloke over, glanced off and kept ploughing on. God help any boats on your pond which get in the way of that LA.... or it's prop!!
Have fun, look forward to seeing more of it one day.
Best regards.... Chris

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 05:09:38 pm »

Chris
I have just taken delivery of the trafalgar ,well i met peter down at the pond at goole and squashed it :-\ in the back of my punto .
I have a set of drawings which come with the sub and was wondering if you had managed to convert your instructions into a format to e-mail them out  ;D  ;D
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 07:08:30 pm »

My LA splits in two for transport and is joined up again pond side. Mine still in kit form other than the hull split, I'll need a bigger house before I can even think of doing anything with it  :-\

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 09:12:12 am »

Hi Daz and Andy, I obviously don't have acrobat loaded on here to reduce my file sizes and looked at the download site with a view to using it. It asks for some form of registration ie, e-mail address etc . Is this normal and will I get loads of guff and spam tripe if I fill in my details in the spaces they provide.. I always have my suspicions of sights asking for such things and usually avoid them. Please advise.
Regards. Chris

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2007, 09:43:38 am »

why not try Zipping the file(compresses it) part of Micro Soft package. right click on the file, left clck on zip. then send that.
or open Acrobat reader, top right hand corner, create pdf from MS office. job done. if you dont have Acrobat, do a search on the web for Acrobat, download it. it is a reckognised program. i never get spam from it, just the occasional update.
PC, love 'em, not.
Colin
grumpy old XXX

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 10:25:38 am »

Colin,

Are you sure that is an option in Adobe acrobat reader? I've never seen it, (using Acrobat 8.0) so you have me puzzled.

Andy

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 10:37:40 am »

sounds like you have the full program. mine is Acrobat Reader7.0.
you should just be able to convert the word document straight of. Try, File-navigate to the file you want(file type should be any document or txt)(think) then open it. that should convert it. once you find the wright button, simple(HaHa)
Reckon it would be easier to zip it though. Remember KISS. (keep it simple stupid) firm beleiver.
grumpy old XXX

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2007, 11:14:42 am »

Hi Daz and Andy, I obviously don't have acrobat loaded on here to reduce my file sizes and looked at the download site with a view to using it. It asks for some form of registration ie, e-mail address etc . Is this normal and will I get loads of guff and spam tripe if I fill in my details in the spaces they provide.. I always have my suspicions of sights asking for such things and usually avoid them. Please advise.
Regards. Chris

I always have a couple of free email address set up at hotmail, just for this purpose (like ...usthisemailforregistrations@hotmail.com). Never need to check them as I dont give it out to anyone else, so no concerns about spam.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2007, 10:26:36 pm »

Hi chris
dont worry about spam just do what i did open up an e-mail adress on the net like msn where you can have several which are ant linked to any othe e-mails you have .
but adobe is quite safe and easy to download . what size are the files cos the ones i send out are normaly 20 to 30 a4 pages long and are small enough to send in an email as an attachment .
daz

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 12:01:02 am »

Hi Portside, I have discovered PDF, don't understand it totally but it works. A friend is helping me with Adobe so will have that set up soon. Crikey, it will begin to look as though I know what I am doing at this rate.... but we all know different don't we. Please don't tell anyone though!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 08:59:33 am »

Dont worry Chris your secrets safe with me  O0.
I have started fitting the radio gear into the traf this week and am at the stage on the pump servo ,after nearly loosing the BB when the brass plunger fell out  :o
can i make the cam out of a normal servo disc and what difference in shape should the cam be ,i am also fitting a hitec 3003 servo to drive the cam ,is this ok?
as its the next one up from a standard servo .
daz

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2007, 09:42:06 am »

Hi Daz, I sent you an e-mail yesterday, did you get it?

Right,down to business, your servo cam is normally produced from a large servo disc and it has three functions:

1: open the valve and switch on the pump to fill the tank.

2: Stop the pump and close the valve , trapping the ballast water in the tank.

3: open the valve (pump still off) and allow tank to empty.

The shape of the cam is given in a (not to scale) drawing provided in the instruction manual and it is a guide to the working profile. You don't have to make it exactly as shown but it must function in the manner I have described above. The cam in my own boat is not exactly to shape but it does prform the correct function. Read the cam profile sheet so you fully understand what is required and it will all become clear. Get hold of a couple of large servo discs and have a go at it and if you get one wrong, sling it in the bin and make another because once you get it right, you won' need to look at it again.

Re your High Tech servo, I am not familiar with Hi Tech gear as I have always used Futaba but I know people have used it and it seems ok just so  long as the servo is a standard size and fits the hole in the servo tray it should be ok. I do know that if you replace that servo with a Futaba unit at any time, you will find the Hi Tech servo disc will not fit the output shaft.
Regards. ..Chris

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2007, 03:21:18 pm »

Hi subculture - the Galathee looks like something I'd like to try - I have a Robbe Seawolf but don't want to mess about turning it into a static.   The statics I've seen on the market are either modern looking nuclear types (long sausage with a slim tower) or those with some good features are just too long - problems come when turning a long sub especially under water.  The Galathee seems ideal - wondered how you got along with it pond side. Does it manoeuvre ok in the water?  Also is it a straight forward job getting to the battery for a recharge or is it a major dismantle?...

Cheers,

Periscope
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2007, 06:07:42 pm »

Ian
 i contacted the company who supply the Galathee and with a good exchange rate you could get it delivered to your door for about £210. amd thats all in .
Chris did you get my photos of the end of the wtc regarding the opening  also what edc do you recomend,i have an electronise fr15 also a mtronics 15
and if anyone thinks they know what it is ??

daz

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.