Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Balders TOPAZ, AKA the slowest build in history.  (Read 5988 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Balders TOPAZ, AKA the slowest build in history.
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:07:26 pm »

I bought the kit for this off  Fleabay, reasonable price, although I had to pay the freight charge from America. The previous owner had started on the build but not got very far with it at all before abandoning it. The small amount he had done though was acceptable and I only had a small amount of correction to sort out.  I did worry that the kit might not be complete but it is all there , in fact there are some items which seem to have got in from another build.  It was sans engine and boiler,which I knew, and in the interim I bought a Cheddar plant with Pelican engine which soon cleaned up . I think the boat kit must have been an early one off the production line because the plans are quite thin on detail and later plans are much more comprehensive and complete. The shortcoming of the plans certainly caused a lot of head scratching trying to figure out the construction, could have read the instruction booklet but that of course is only when everything else has failed. Found it a great help to look at the fantastic detailed build of Emerald on the Wickstead MBC site .
 As mentioned in the heading I have been going really slow with the build, this is therapy for me in my retirement , if I finish it before I croak I will have to fork out on another kit (Chimaera POF Kit ? )

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Balders TOPAZ, AKA the slowest build in history.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 04:03:04 pm »

should have said it is of course a Puffin plant, senility !

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:12:51 pm »

Bonjour Baldrick,
I am the happy owner of a Cheddar Puffin plant :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPygTu9z8tk and I do not recognize your boiler. Have you got all the parts whih would complete it (oiler, oile separator, steam valve, gas tank, torch...) ?
Do you know where to place eveything ?And how will you heat it ? I do not see a room for the burner... 
Here is a sistership to give you possible ideas : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kifkESTY9I4
Another very fast one (hello Miles, if you read me ;) ) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsVbhy5EJAU
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:51:25 pm »

Bonjour rhavrane.
 That is a wonderful model build you have there, hope mine turns out half as good. My boiler is shorter and fatter than yours , I was led to believe it to be a Puffin as it is exactly the same as the one restored by kno3 in this thread down the page a bit http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13894.0.html .   You will note the burner and jet are housed under the front of the boiler box, not projecting . If mine is not a Puffin I would like to know it's origin. On my model the boiler is reversed to face astern . I do not yet have the burner and jets as I have thrown away the original blow lamp fitting and will use the same ceramic burner and jet from Cheshire steam as kno3 did on his restoration  There is more space available tha my photo would appear to show.

regards Balders

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 09:26:34 pm »

Bonsoir Balders,
Unfortunately, the Topaz I filmed is not mine and I missed once THE opportunity to get one  {:-{ . Never mind, we are not here to compare, I will follow your restoration project with a great pleasure because this launch has a very original and nice thin look which gives her the impression of flying on the water : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o8k8NzbPMU (She is equipped with a 3.1 cm3 Anton Jade steam plant and a JMC whistle).
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 10:58:20 am »

Yes rhavrane,
Indeed TOPAZ has a very slim hull, in fact the widest point of the beam is at the rear support of the cradle on this photograph ( 3/4 back from the bow ).
I have also noted that some other models seen steaming on U-tube seem to be too bow heavy . When I started the build I did this set up in transferring the water line from the plans onto the hull so that I could find the correct trim line and get uprights correct.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:08:33 am »

I aways remember on a modelling forum one expert member saying "Never build into your model any part or piece that you are not 100% happy with, because if you do your mind will always nag you about it over time you look at the model ". He was dead right , I built the cabin for Topaz some while ago but the final varnishing did not go quite right . There seemed to be a problem with the consistency of my tin and it did not go on evenly, after ignoring the problem for some months I bit the bullet and stripped it back to bare wood and re varnished it. Still one or two colour issues and I might give it a light rub with some metal polish to dull the shine a bit but I can live with it now .
 This day cabin is the most tricky bit of the Topaz build, once described as 650 scraps of wood existing in an association of tenuous adhesion. It does stiffen up when the window glazing sheets are added.
 Now to move on to some of the more relaxing bits.

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 12:04:03 pm »

This day cabin is the most tricky bit of the Topaz build, once described as 650 scraps of wood existing in an association of tenuous adhesion.

I think that just about sums it up  :-))

Your cabin is looking good though, must be nice to know that it's finished and all fits ok.

My Topaz has been sat in the corner of my workshop with the cabin partly built for longer than I care to remember, I need a period where I can dedicate some time to concentrating on it as it'd be so easy to screw it up.

Throughout the whole build I've found myself checking and then rechecking everything again and again. It's the fact that, with a natural wood finish, it's impossible to hide any slight imperfections...

I look forward to seeing the next stages of your build - hopefully it might inspire me  :-)

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:59:29 pm »

cheers vintage
 Also made the cabin roof  which has the overhang to carry the screen for the steering position. made sure to put a reinforcement behind to give it some strength. Must fit the door escutcheons before going further .  The front of the screen has to have a bracket to carry the cover and window over the engine , and in my case also hide the servo.

:-))

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 05:27:26 am »

Beautiful model bet you can't wait to launch it. If I may offer one tip that is I believe the gauze burner from clevedon steam and used regularly for 7 years is superior to a ceramic burner for horizontal boilers.  Any comments welcome.
Cheers
John

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:01 am »

Beautiful model bet you can't wait to launch it ,if I may offer one tip that is I believe the gauze burner from clevedon steam and used regularly for 7 years is superior to a ceramic burner for horizontal boilers,any comments welcome
Cheers
John

That interests me , one of my next objectives is buy a replacement burner along with gas tank and condensate trap.  but do they still do the old gauze burner ?

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 08:58:30 am »

Yes still available not cheap but worth it
Cheers
JOHN

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:16:36 pm »

Am in a really good place , just recieved my condensate trap and burner from Pendle Steam Boilers .  The condensate trap to my size in  beautifully polished brass a lovely looking thing and a burner special to fit my Pelican boiler, fitted to the burner tube with zero tolerance. It was great to deal with an outfit who are so efficient and helpful. Only about a fortnight from contacting them to receiving the purpose built items .  Bit different to most outfits who don't answer emails or the telephone. They even sent me a U-Tube video clip of my burner on test before despatching it.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 04:23:17 pm »

Getting there, only a bit more fitting out and install the steam and gas piping.

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 01:57:10 am »

Baldrick,

Very Nice.

Hope mine comes out as nice.

Look forward to see her afloat!

Regards,
Jim Pope
Son of a Son of a Sailor.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 10:35:46 am »

Thanks Jim, from your posts your build  is coming on just fine. I have to confess that I have a problem with building instructions ( not just this build) I seem to have a mental block which stops what I am reading sinking into the brain cell. Consequently I have to build by studying the plans and build it in detail in my head imagining how it all goes together and the sequences in which it all goes together . I am aware of the old adage "When everything else fails read the instructions ",  %%   but for me that is not an option. Doubtless why the build has taken me so long. Have to confess your Topaz thread jolted me into a bit more activity than previous.

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 01:12:32 pm »

I agree with you about the instructions - I have to re-read them constantly myself.

I am just getting started on the interior wall planking, and am confused as to if I should
try the angle like the plans call for or go for straight up and down like you did.

Oh well -  Ill probably start straight and it will end up angled anyway :D

Regards,
Jim

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 02:45:01 pm »

Jim. ,
 On the plans (yours may differ being later ) the planks are shown inclined backwards at the stern end, coming vertical in the centre and then leaning forwards at the  bow end. To achieve this would entail gently tapering the planks. Having thought about it for some time I decided this was aggravation I did not need so I set out with the planks vertical in the centre, the warp in the shape of the inner plank does give a bit of natural toe and heel but not as much as the plans show. In the event any planking slope to the stern would be hidden by the seat cushion backs and to the front passenger well by the bench seats to a degree.
If you go for a vertical alignment I am sure it will not detract from your model

Balders.

RWH

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »

Hello Baldrick,

Beautiful launch! Did you happen to see this log build when you were building your launch http://www.wicksteedparkmbc.com/martenhowes-and-baylis-topaz.html ? I understand about your problem with instructions as I have the same problem also. I have been working on a Krick Borkum for two years on and off mainly because of too many obligations and health issues with my wife. I have been retired since 2003 and I thought I was going to have plenty of time to do the things in life that I wanted.....wrong! I just received a Lady Margaret hull from Robin at Kingston Mouldings. Robin quit the business last year and when he announced that he was going out of business, I placed my order and asked that he built it at a later date which he did. So I am now building two launches and I hope I get them finished before I move on to Steam Heaven. I started doing steam at 73 and I will be 75 this August so I have to push myself harder. I have done power airplanes, F3B sailplanes, and helicopters for decades and when my eyesight gave out, I decided to try a new hobby and I am loving this one more than all the others. I had cataract surgery last November and wished I would have done it sooner.

Good luck with finishing your build and I look forward to her maiden voyage.

Kind regards,

Bob

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 08:48:24 pm »

Ahah.......we now know the owner of that luxuriant green hull that I mentioned some time back.....

Thank you for the images Bob .....a truly beautiful build..........

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:35 pm »

Amen Derek. Woodwork done well is a sight to behold. You are doing famously Baldrick  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 09:16:27 pm »

Hi Bob .
  For sure , not only did i Know of that page @wickstead park , I have it as a favourites link on my PC, in fact I ignored the instructions and built it from that link and the plans. Hope i did not infringe any intellectual rights buddy. My build probably does not come up to the same  standard but it was what I was aiming at.
 I too have my next build waiting, Chimaera, 47" POF Barry pilot Boat but I must finish Topaz first. I retired when I was 72, I am 82 now been building model boats as my retirement hobby along with the lawn bowls in the Summer, as you say sanity demands it. My last build was a 34" Navy Board Pattern POF of US Frigate Confederacy in American Boxwood . Trouble is those semi planked models do collect a lot of dust inside I need to take it outside and  and hit it with the air can but I am afraid of loosing some small bits.

kind regards Balders.

RWH

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 11:29:31 pm »

Hi Baldrick,

I am glad that you knew about the link as I thought it was a good one for someone building the Topaz. Shucks, after telling me your age, I feel like I am a babe in the woods. There is still some hope for me. I am glad to hear that you are still going strong in the hobby and wish you many, many years more building those wonderful steam launches.

Kind regards,

Bob    :-)

jpdenver

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just an old fart.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 02:55:51 pm »

Bob,

Not to hijack Baldricks thread, but your post mentioned two builds that I just did in the reverse order.

My first build was the Krick Borkum, and the second one was the Lady Margaret.  Robin at Kingston has been
a great asset to me, I wish him well in his retirement.

Since the Lady Margaret is a "free-form" build, I took a lot of liberty, and basically created my take on it.
I ended up with what I call a "Steam Driven Harley Davidson" if Harley's were boats.
Here is my build log.  1/2 way thru there is a movie of the complete build.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54901.msg568958.html#msg568958

Hope you enjoy, good luck with your builds.  At 65 I am the youngster in this thread.  I still work part
time for my daily bread. 

Regards to all,
Jim Pope
(JPDENVER)

RWH

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 08:11:36 pm »

Hello Jim,

The Krick Borkum is still my first build which has been going very slowly due to many personal obligations that have taken up a great deal of my time. I am aware of both of your builds as I followed them on RC Groups and have corresponded to you on that group as well as this one this group seeking information about your Krick build. I am starting out today building the rudder and rudder hinges for my Lady Margaret. I will be making my hinges from scratch using flat brass plate and brass tubing silver soldered together as well as cutting out my rudder from some stock I have on hand.

I have been following your Topaz build on this forum as well and look forward to your updates. You were very lucky to find that kit. Wish they were still available. It looks like Baldrick is nearing complete of his launch and I am enjoying his thread very much because I can identify with his dilemma and it makes feel like there is still hope for me to continue in this new and exciting hobby.

Sorry Baldrick, I was not trying to hijack your thread.

King regards,

Bob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.