Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XRAD'S A8 3D printer  (Read 1752 times)

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
XRAD'S A8 3D printer
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:07:42 pm »

My ebay 2016 'upgraded' 3D prusia/reprap/A8 3d printer. Took about 4 hours physical assembly and one hour to learn program and create print file. If you are wondering if 175$ to my door via ebay is worth it, answer is YES. I am using ABS at 226 degrees. works great first time. All spare parts available on ebay for dirt cheap.
All info on included USB stick including build instructions, programming instructions, and 3D create program. Don;t remove ther usb stick unless you 'eject.' Just pulling it out could mess up your SD/usb driver. Can't see the LCD screen due to my camera. Works fine with easy navigation. Have to print from micro SD card at the moment as I could not figure how to load print file directly from PC.  I checked my CAD program and it has the option to save 3D object as .STL for printing. There are other free 3D programs on the net. I think even google offers one. Easy to 'size' your print in any/all directions.

The included directions (you can print them from the provided USB file) are really only pics of assembly, and no written directions. Look ahead many times to make sure you are putting everything together correctly.  Things like motor orientation (so that the plugs are facing correctly, or wiring harness pathways) are not shown. The abs frame is plenty strong.

This printer comes with the ATMega chip and good quality PC board, well made stepper motors(5) and all wiring, power supply, and control unit.  Easy to navigate LCd menu lets you 'zero' the unit, then easy to print.  I did have to adjust the position , by a few mm, of the 'x' stop switch.  It takes a few minuted to get the print head to the right level. I used a piece of cheap printer paper the set the 'z' position of the head, with it just touching the paper. Paper placed between the head and the orange painter's tape.  I like the painter's tape because it has a subtly rough surface for the first layers to stick to. Easy to level up table to get the 'z' height correct.  Very good print volume for our models at 220x220x240mm.  If you need a bigger size, break the print into multiple parts.

A few tips.  When you first set the 'zero' all positions, make sure your table is pretty low so the head does not bang into it . Once 'zero'd'  then you can unplug the unit and move the head into the table space and then level the four table corners. Do this with the tape and paper. 

I could not get the unit to print from the PC yet, only with micro USB, which you have to purchase seperately. Basic STL or other 3D files print just fine.  I do recommend that you always used the 'load or unload' funtion on the lcd menu when inserting or removing the micro USB. Also, I power down the unit when it is finished printing or before uploading a new print file, as well a 'zero all' for each print. 

It takes a godd 5 min or so AFTER loading the micro usb print file before the unit starts to print.  It has to heat up. easy to manipulate the print files for thickness, density, etc....Anyway, super unit and does a good job. Make almost anything.

Vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYlImy9cy-Q

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
Re: XRAD'S A8 3D printer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 05:59:20 pm »

Update:

If you get a 3D printer like this, it works great with files generated from FreeCAD (free online program) and CURA(free 3D file program)

first you draw a 2D image, pad to 3D, the convert to mesh, export as mesh file, open with CURA , save to SD, then print from SD. Already made many parts. easy and fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.