Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Sunny Winchelsea Beach  (Read 2756 times)

Joinerman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello from Sunny Winchelsea Beach
« on: November 28, 2016, 11:18:04 am »

Good morning everyone,
As a newly signed up member I thought a few words about myself and my interests would be in order. Gosh, where to start! I retired this year after 40 years in the food industry followed by the not unusual redundancy and at an age where re-employment isn't always easy. Anyway a new job appeared almost immediately so what could go wrong! I realised I had had enough of the industry and I needed to do something else. My love of woodwork was brought about by an excellent woodwork teacher back in the early sixties (he had previously worked in boat building and was a master at the craft of Marquetry). So I could often be found in the shed with a few trusty tools making something or other.  Our first house had wooden sash windows that I eventually replaced like for like, so having realised that the food industry was not for me any longer I wondered if being able to make multi-paned sash windows might offer an opportunity. Well as often is the case a chance phone call from somebody who knew I could make sash windows which started a ten year stint of self employed joinery work.

We moved to Winchelsea Beach 18 months ago after 38 years on our last home, so after a spell of decorating and sorting out the garden, and our daughters wedding it was time to put one half of a double garage to work. Converted to a workshop I now have more workshop space then ever with all tools and machines in their own space  :-)

Last Christmas my son realising I would eventually have some time on my hands bought me a set of plans (almost zero instructions) for the Aquarama Riva model launch. Almost a year later that time has arrived and construction has begun. Previous modelling experience!, plastic modelling kits, balsa wood gliders (tissue and dope etc) and the Billings Nordkap kit.

Anyway the Riva is being scratch built and with that comes questions and some head scratching, hence I came across you guys whilst search the Web for some answers.

The Riva is being constructed plank on bulkhead, using 5mm ply for the bulkheads and 2-2.5mm Sepele for the planking/decking etc. Im hoping the quality of my work will allow the model to remain as bare wood which when finished will look like Mahogany as the originals did back in the day. Luckily my son is a cabinet/furniture maker with his own business so offcuts big enough for model making are readily available, in fact Im off to his workshop this morning to pick up some 2.5mm Sepele veneer. Happy days.

I'll post some pictures as the project progresses, along with some questions no doubt along the way.

Regards..........Alan   (Apprentice shipwright!!!!) 

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from Sunny Winchelsea Beach
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:01:34 pm »

Hi Alan and welcome to Mayhem, lots of clever boat builders with tricks of the trade on here to swap ideas with.

Len.

Joinerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 09:27:36 pm »

Thanks Len,  I've already found some interesting posts which have given me food for thought. Alan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »

Welcome to the forum Alan,

There are one or two members on the forum who are simply astounding at their craft of building model boats in timber. One chap leaves no piece just as a simple block or wedge, but shapes them with real care even when they may never be seen once the decks are fitted. It is such a shame that the gorgeous skill gets covered with paint. That said, the whole job is top class from keel to mast head, so the dissapointment is short lived. He is an Australian and builds Fishing boats.

There's lots of interesting stuff to read and watch on here ofall kinds.
Pond weed is your enemy

Joinerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 09:52:27 pm »

Thanks Ballastanksian,

Ill look out for the member you suggested.

Alan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:15:33 pm »

His moniker is BB. Here is one of his blogs: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55230.0.html

He has the benefit of local timbers as well and Australian woods are lovely.
Pond weed is your enemy

Joinerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:16:38 pm »

Well what can I say, his work is stunning.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 01:35:30 am »

Hi Joinerman and welcome. Are you double diagonal skinning . As you say the natural wood looks great clear varnished or french polished.  Keep us posted and plenty of pics please  John

Joinerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 01:41:09 pm »

Good afternoon John,

Thanks for the welcome  :-)) [size=78%], t[/size][/size]he lower section of the hull has been single planked stem to stern. It looks OK and todays modern glues has allowed some poetic licence shall we say. However, having seen the work of BB in Australia I think I need to up my game! and probably mindset as well.[size=78%]

I picked up some veneer yesterday (freebee from my son) which is actually 1.3 instead of the 2.5 suggested and also its Brazilian Mahogany type rather than the Sepele iv'e used so far. As the Sepele is below the waterline I might get away with it, however as I will have to double plank the Brazilian due to thickness I might look at a second layer over the Sepele. Luckily I have 6m x 300mm of the Brazilian and more available if needed.

Regards Alan     

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »

Sounds like a  plan .Well done

Joinerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »

Hi John,
Like all good plans sometimes they need adjustment. The 1.3mm veneer is going to need additonal support with the current bulkhead spacings, so Im currently adding more supports and also widening the existing bulkheads.

Im currently researching the various options for waterproofing the internal hull. I dont fancy epoxy but seems most builders use it.

Alan

Joinerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 09:23:09 pm »

Well thats it for the Riva Aquarama untill after Christmas, then its the double planking of the upper half of the hull.

Seasons Greetings.........Alan

PS Will post further photos, but will need to transfer them from my phone first so I can resize them first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.