Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP with servo travel  (Read 1994 times)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
HELP with servo travel
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:35:06 pm »

Having trouble to get my servo to turn as far as needed.if I turn it by hand,I have a full 180 degree turn,but when using my radio,it will not traverse half that
I would appreciate how in simple terms I could alter this please?Thanks
Mick F

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HELP with servo travel
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:42:42 pm »

One answer would be to fit a Action Servomorph.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:49:26 pm »

Well, if you know a little electronics and can solder then you could extend the feedback potentiometer by connecting a 1K resistor at each end point and then connect the resistors to where the pots were connected.  This will extend the travel.
If you are not sure what I am talking about do not do it. Take the advice of the previous contributor.
regarss Roy

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 03:52:44 pm »

Well, if you know a little electronics and can solder then you could extend the feedback potentiometer by connecting a 1K resistor at each end point and then connect the resistors to where the pots were connected.  This will extend the travel.
If you are not sure what I am talking about do not do it. Take the advice of the previous contributor.
regarss Roy

A youtube demo of exactly what Roy describes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgPpZmaFl0
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »

Does your radio have end point adjustment Mick?
You should be able to extend the operating range
somewhat with that.
I think Component shop may do a 360 degree servo.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 04:18:35 pm »

Evening Mick....

Reading between the lines I understand this is the issue in your other thread with your +/-15 degree of train with your gun mounts...[the detail which I have been following]

I also note the words of wisdom and experience from Geoff....'that simplest can be best' [in this gun turret movement & control]

Obviously your standard servo's are providing that nominal ~~ 90 degree of movement, however assume this is being reduced or limited by eccentrics or lengths of push/pull connections

As boat captain suggests, the Action P96 servo morphs will extend the standard servo travel to ~~ 170 of  degrees of total rotation, and also allow you to set the travel extend points.....

I have 3 of these P96's .......great value & functionality :-))......

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 04:34:13 pm »

Thanks for your replies chaps!
I will have a look at the servo morphs and the servos with a longer travel
At the moment I am using my Planet 5 radio,but when I progress further I shall be using an F14 with extra modules to give me about 12 channels to control more individual items
Mick f

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 04:58:27 pm »

Good luck Mike.
Pond weed is your enemy

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 11:03:35 pm »

Just had a look at some on line catalogues,and the only reasonable price servos I can find with a travel of 360 degrees are sail winches.
So next question is,can I take the drum off and screw straight into the thread on top of the servo,and still get the same amount of travel?
I just do not have room for the drum,or a longer arm.
2nd query please,if I just use a servo morph,with the same rig up I have now,will that actually increase the distance my gun turrets will travel on the normal servo I am using already
Thanks again
Mick

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 09:35:46 am »

Yes you can use the servos you already have.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 02:13:40 pm »

Mechanically, most standard servos are limited to 270° of travel to stop them damaging the position pot, which in turn is a standard electronic item with 270° of travel.  The transmitter has similar pots to create the signal, and normally uses the middle 90° of the available travel to give the pulse length that the receiver, and eventually, the servo or ESC or whatever, expects.  This use of just the middle 90° gives lots of leeway for different servos and transmitters, ensuring a good chance that the wanted travel can be got on any mix of makes.
A stretcher like the servomorph takes the received pulse and alters the length of it, so that the standard servo travels further for any given signal (or less, if it has been adjusted that way).  Fully extended, there is the possibility that a particular servo might try to go past the end of its mechanical travel, so not going for the full 270° is a sensible safety margin.
A winch is just an ordinary servo fitted with an extra gearbox between the output shaft and the pot, arranged so that the 90° of travel that the pot gets equates to however many degrees of travel that the winch gives.  A 2 turn will give 720°, a "single turn" one, 360°, assuming that there is one.  The drum is just a different shaped arm, the only problem fitting an arm is finding one with the same number and size of splines.  If I remember right, Servo City, in their robotics area, do pulleys that fit certain servos, so there is the possibility of gearing to get the wanted travel.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.