Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Tutorials & "How To’s" ...

Wheelhouse Corners (scratch build)

(1/3) > >>

tizdaz:
Hi guys :)

what is best method for doing rounded corners on a wheel house (see pic below) I'm using 1.5mm ply for the structure, but I'm not sure what to use for the corners to give a curve effect, I'm thinking balsa or maybe a harder type of wood for added strength?

The bottom part of wheelhouse has a large radius & the top only has small radius..

cheers :)

tizdaz:
What is this shape called below!?

As I'm thinking of using strips of wood in this shape for the corners but got no idea what the shape is called, i thought it was quadrant but when i search for quadrant strips of wood i'm finding nothing?

BrianB6:
Try 'quad'

furball:
Depending on the actual radius of the corner, you could use block for a very small radius, and for larger ones, either use vertical narrow planks or laminate a couple of layers of thin ply (1/32" or so) around the bend.

Lance

barriew:

--- Quote from: tizdaz on December 02, 2016, 12:42:02 am ---What is this shape called below!?

As I'm thinking of using strips of wood in this shape for the corners but got no idea what the shape is called, i thought it was quadrant but when i search for quadrant strips of wood i'm finding nothing?

--- End quote ---
Depending on the radius you can find this in any DIY store in the mouldings bin in the timber section.

Barrie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version