Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worktop tools for scratch builds.  (Read 4718 times)

Easy Peasie

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Worktop tools for scratch builds.
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:53:43 am »

Hello All
I may be getting above myself, but with christmas coming in 3 weeks and a man who has nearly everything, what are the best woodworking tools needed for a scratch build. I've already bought the wife an apple i watch so the money is in the bank so to speak.
I was thinking
1. Benchtop Bandsaw.
2. Scroll saw.
3. Disc sander.

I have a decent selection of powertools, drills, sander planer, dremel etc.

Could someone please give me a heads up.

Andy.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Worktop tools for scratch builds.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:37 pm »

clamps - lots of clamps

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:40:48 pm »

Jib the disc sander go for the one that has a belt (like a small linisher) and a disc at the side plus a decent bandsaw then get yourself some good quality blades for the saw with fine teeth. If you buy the wider blades they will cut straighter the narrower the blade the more curved you can cut. Take your time setting up the saw bed and blade tension/alignment if you do this the saw will work much better. Hope this helps.
     Regards,
            Pete.

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 01:46:10 pm »

Go for the whole Christmas list, they are all brilliant.  Always remember:- The modeller who dies with the most tools....Wins!.

Ron.

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »

Larger models need larger clamps.
Bintur Ellenbach

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 02:13:38 pm »

One of those vibrating multi-tools are a god-send - they can get into really awkward places and cut stuff off flush - Best DIY tool ever! Aldi for £20

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:05:46 pm »

Go for a Proxon BS/E Belt Sander. The mains powered one not the battery one. One of the best buys I ever made. Anything by Proxon is good, but not the cheapest. I also have a Proxon Bandsaw which is excellent. These two will set you back about £370.
John

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:53 am »

Band saw, 6" sander with 4" belt, the time they save you with building, they are brilliant.
My bandsaw is a 30 year old Burges bench top still runs smooth and blades are still available.
My sander is a Clark. Noisy but brilliant wear a good quality face mask when sanding, there
Are dust extraction outlets on both items

John

Easy Peasie

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:32:41 am »

I am looking on eBay for on for the saws and sander. It is true you can't have too many power tools.

Andy

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 02:16:15 pm »

Yes it's true you can,t have too many power tools, it was bad enough when everything had a cord
Then cordless tools became affordable, not as I own any %)

John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 05:39:03 pm »

hi ya
I must be an odd ball me :-) I have all the power tools, sanders, circular saws, jigsaws and soforth - but generally used for the normal DIY about the house - when I scratch build model boats - its all the handtools that come out i.e. hobbies fretsaw must be about 50-60 year old belonged to me old dad, junior hacksaw and an X-Acto saw; a small 4" engineers square; a selection of needle files and normal files - round and half round - up to about 6" in length.   The biggest collection of all - G clamps and Spring clamps - as well plus the old grannies hair clips that she used to put her hair up with - :-) a 40 and 15 watt soldering iron.   Plus solder and fluxes that go with it.   Archimedes drill plus selection of pin drills and a vast variety of drills from about half an inch down to about 0.05 diameter.  Me main item which gets used more than anything else are a variety of sanding blocks and sandpaper.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 08:32:37 pm »

I go along with Bluebird 100%....There is no way you can buy everything you are likely to use for model boat building in one go, even with a massive workshop full of equipment which I used for teaching and building everything from furniture to kitchens then my own house, a list of the most used and useful tools starts with different shaped sanding blocks, most home made and loads of different abrasives for them. These are followed with clamps and cramps, pegs both wooden ones and now stainless steel ones, home made clamps for difficult jobs, rubber bands, string tourniquets and so on. The biggest are 6 foot long sash cramps by Record and they have all been used for model work at some time or other.

Good quality tools only, include fine saws, Swann Morton knives and blades, Stanley knives, chisels and so on. The first power tool I ever bought was a Wolf power drill in 1966 which only had a 1/4 inch capacity chuck. I've still got it and it still works fine, amazing. The second power tool I bought and in my opinion, the best tool I've ever bought was an Aeropiccola Vibro Saw from Euromodels 'way back when' at Seymour Hall Model Engineers Exh. It is also still going and could have built Noahs Ark with all the work it's done over nearly 50 years.

Modern must-have's are a good rechargeable power drill, not so big you can't hardly lift it! maybe a scroll saw for thicker stuff and try to buy the best you can as cheaper ones wander all over the place and break blades. A small sanding machine, the Clarke ones are OK with care,

All the Proxxon products are very good but quite pricey but their top-end modellers circular saw is fantastic, I bought a Bohler model saw (German) for £100 at the ME and it is lovely but hard to get spares like belts etc.

With time and different projects your equipment will grow on a par with the number of paints and glues you buy. Take your time and try to buy the best, In the meantime join a good club and maybe get friendly with a better equipped modeller, bring the beers and work together, That is part of what the hobby is all about.

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 08:37:04 pm »

Further to my above comments, I am not advocating that you should be 'Drunk in charge of a Circular Saw'
Perhaps I should change that to 'Bring the cakes' instead!!!

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 09:15:58 pm »

One modeller's view on bench sanders -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pDr_j9pQ2q8

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 10:43:07 pm »

I bought a Japanese steel wood carver's file from Axminster power tool centre this weekend while exploring. Initially I wonderd if I had over spent as I could probably have got second hand ones in Yeovil. But, it is amazing! I have never filed an area of filler andf had the surface so smooth. I am glassing a hull and I will not need to sand these areas as they are fine grade wet and dry smooth.

It was bought to remove wood from models during finishing but it will remove filler as well without a roblem, just clean the teeth out with a file card

Here's the link: http://www.axminster.co.uk/japanese-carver-s-files-ax857186 They do a number of types in differing grades.

The tool I use the most is a .5mm propelling pencil and a piece of sandpaper to sharpen the lead.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.