Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a Model Super Yacht  (Read 1492 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
Building a Model Super Yacht
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:17:28 am »

Interesting article here about what is involved in the Commercial Model Boat Building business:

http://www.superyachttimes.com/yacht-news/building-a-superyacht-in-just-8-weeks-the-big-world-of-scale-models/

Cheers,
Charlie

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building a Model Super Yacht
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 04:47:23 pm »

Hi Charlie very interesting.  I remember visiting a professional model builder, Malcolm Darch at his home.  Malcolm made us most welcome and showed us his current builds.  These were 2 identical super yachts each about 4 - 5 feet long.  One was to go in the full size super yacht in a glass case and the other was to be a working model with RC.
This was aver 20 years ago, but a memorable visit.
I have one regret as he had a Basset-lowke cargo boat he had been asked to restore and due to being busy he offered it to me to do the work.
I was part of a 3 man yacht crew and we had sailed there and moored in Salcombe harbour.  The dinghy we used had such a low freeboard that carrying a valuable item was not on.
Ah well!
regards Roy

D108

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
    • My models
Re: Building a Model Super Yacht
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:02:50 pm »

I saw this on iplayer the other day, nice if you don't have anything else to spend your millions on I guess. There is a model shown briefly, valued at 40k  :o
Paul

Britain's Biggest Superyachts: Chasing Perfection: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b077kgw9 via @bbciplayer

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.