Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second layer of planking  (Read 6278 times)

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
Second layer of planking
« on: December 07, 2016, 10:41:01 pm »

I'm underway fitting a second layer of planking to a hull,  it's 0.5 x6mm walnut strip . To keep them a close tight fit to the hull I find masking tape does the best job . The issue I'm having is when I remove the tape , it takes a small amount of wood of the previous strips , which will mount up after I complete the whole hull and I would like to minimise this .
Would a coat of sanding sealer every two or three planks reduce this happening ?
Or has anyone any other ideas of how to hold the strips to the hull ?

John

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Second layer of planking
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:42:32 pm »

Morning John.....

What is the wood specie of the first planking layer?....[+ plank width & thickness?]......and what type of glue are you using?

Masking tape comes in many grades of its adhesive qualities, however I am surprised that any grade of masking tape would adequately support a plank with twist and bend.......

Have you considered permanent planking pins?......or plastic holding pin clamps?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:57:21 am »

Hi Derek
First layer is complete ! 2mmx 6mm spruce , All pined and to profile.
The second layer is only a finish 0.5x6mm walnut as posted above . The tape holds this veneer plank in place without any problems as it's so thin .
The issue is when I remove the tape .
Can't post a picture as the site will not allow such a large attachment.

John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 09:04:53 am »

Hi John
This way I held the planks on this build, dressmaking pins  :-))

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,354.msg414921.html#msg414921

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:50:47 am »

Thanks BB , I'll see if I have any luck wth that .
I Was wanting to avoid putting holes in the second layer but if needs must . Also I might try elastic bands round the hull with firm rubber under it at the points I need the plank to be held .
It will take a bit more time but it will just have to be that way !

Thanks 
John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »

Sometimes tape can actually work quite well if drawn right round the hull and overlapped with itself and can be combined with rubber or other pads to exert particular pressure where required. It does save making holes in the planks.

Colin

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:28 pm »

Yes Colin it works great , It's just when the tape is removed it takes a small amount of wood from the previous layers of walnut planks. Not worried about the first layer of spruce .
I'm really looking for ideas of how to stop that . Was thinking of applying sanding sealer as I went to try and stop this .

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 01:21:28 pm »

If you apply sanding sealer then the second layer won't bond properly. Actually, when using tape you only need it to give the required tension by sticking to itself, it doesn't necessarily need to stick to the wood to apply pressure, you could use strips of paper where the tape would otherwise contact the wood so there isn't a sticky surface against the planking. Then just pull the tape tight against itself.

Colin

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 02:13:15 pm »

I use medium CA for planking.  Apply the glue then hold the plank in place for 30 seconds.  No tape, no pins.  I keep a moist paper towel handy to wipe glue off my fingers frequently.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »

hi there
Using dress makers pins to hold your planks in place is one of the best ways of securing the planks down.  If you are worrying about pinprick holes, when you lightly sand the outer planking before finishing and sealing, this fills in the tiny holes.    I must have built several hulls this way & never had any problems with the little holes left by the pins.    If you are unsure and you want to ensure the holes are filled in when you have finished the planking - and its all dried - give it a wipe over with a damp cloth, this expands the grain in the planking and closes up the holes.    I preferred not to use superglue for gluing the planking down - because - this doesn't give much time for manoeuvrability of the planking.  Once its stuck down - you have one hell of a job to amend it - I myself have the tee shirt for that one :-)
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:17:22 pm »

Thanks for the replies!
Think I'll go with a mixture of both pins and tape , I'll cover the finished planking with cheap tape I have , it's not sticky at all . Use the good tape to hold the planks and if need be pins .

Can't seem to uploads picture from my iPad .

John

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 10:17:39 pm »

As an aero modeller building with balsa wood I always found a small drop of spit applied with a finger directly to the pinhole caused the wood to swell and fill the hole . . . . . I've used the same method on all woods I've ever used to build boats with the same results.
in my own little world
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.