Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deck measurements...how?  (Read 3598 times)

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
Deck measurements...how?
« on: December 10, 2016, 03:21:35 am »

Hi guys :)

ok i've got a large sheet of ply, but i'm not sure how to get the deck shape from my fibreglass hull and transfer the shape to the sheet of ply to cut out so i get a good fit?

The deck is 1.8meter in length so im guessing using cardboard for a template would be no good as it will just bend and give wrong measurements?

any info much appreciated :)

My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deck measurements...how?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:56:41 am »

Daz........

1. do you have hull drawings?........elevation and plan view?
2. if not and you have the hull, it is not difficult to measure the hull & create/draw an elevation view which confirms the hull 'shear'
3. from the 'shear', you can draft an actual profile of the deck ....which could be a 3D representation

Many years ago....before I could afford a professional Drawing Board for home use ...& long before computers & computer software packages.......I removed a door from an unused bedroom & hey presto....a 3.2 M x 1.2 M horizontal drawing table ...[in the middle of the lounge room]

Very easy to draw & loft lines O0....why not try it %).... a good learning experience..............

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JerryTodd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scale Sailor
    • Modeling Projects
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 06:23:05 am »

I worked in a data center and saved the card stock sheet that came on top of the boxes of printer paper.  I used them to make cartridge packets for my reenacting hobby, but in my shop I use them for EVERYTHING; mixing epoxy, temporary shimming, and mostly; pattern-making.

I fit several pieces to make a pattern and glue them with PVA (white glue).  You can size the pieces to fit close, then trace or scribe them with a compass until they fit perfectly.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:01:18 am »

I think you can over complicate things, in IT and engineering KISS- keep it simple (stupid!) %)

You've already got a template to get an idea for the size of the deck- the hull itself- lay the ply sheet over the hull and draw the out line- you have an oversized template which is better than accurately measuring bit by bit from the plans has GRP hulls are not perfect and whilst you may think you've built 100% but you'll be surprised how untrue this can be. Dad and I always go oversize then file down to the correct size as it's difficult to add to an undersized deck.
If you can, cut the deck into sections to make your life easier than struggling to move a single length all the time.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 10:10:27 am »

Draw centrline on ply....mark hull every.100mm measure accross....use your profile thingy and there you go

Dave

Sonar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:14:34 am »

Cardboard box cut up and use as a template.

Try and fit trim as required.
Then pencil around the cardboard onto the plywood.

Allow a little extra on the plywood for final trimming.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.