The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

The Art of Models Irene

(1/45) > >>

hammer:
If I paint a picture of a ketch I am an artist. But building a model I am a craftsman. This seems the general point of view. I suppose if just following a plan it could be so, but given that plan to different modellers they will produce different results. So I think ART as it is much easier to paint a picture than build a model.
I am posting in sail because my method of building the Irene of Bridgwater will continue here. I like to build subjects that mean something to me, in this case I was born in Bridgwater. In the past I have made Flying Foam topsail schooner & Crowpill steam collier  both registered in Bridgwater, Albatross a sailing trawler built Teignmouth where I have retired. Two paddle steamers Glen Usk as I sailed on her when 10 years old, the Duke of Devonshire, a frequent visitor to Teignmouth pier many moons ago. No plans available for any of the above.  Also 2 pilot cutters they don't count being from plans.
Back to Irene she still exist having had Bridgewater added to her original name, much altered from original.  Launched in 1907 is how I want to portray her delivering bricks & tiles, bringing back coal, her main occupation.
 To start trawl the internet, visit Bridgwater Museum, library & any where I can think of may contain information. Lloyds of London but not this time as I have dimensions as she still exist, but will visit her or book a cruise.     

hammer:
Well 74 members don't disagree with me.
After my searches I am undecided do I build as working, or as restored? Obviously accurate  information  available for the present ship. But the main reason on the early ship the one prop has a cut out in the rudder & through the stern post. Where as now twin props one ether side. The problem ships of this type benefit from external ballast. I don't like lumps of lead hanging off the bottom. on my Flying Foam part of the keel made of lead, 2 rods ran up through tubes, the top of the tubes connected by a lose chain. In the stand the lead pressed up in place, remove the hatch, lift the boat by the chain, lead still in place. launch, release the chain lead drops down. And no one knows. In the albatross a 1/8 steel plate with the centre removed, filled with lead dropped down as a centre plate. Operated with a sail winch in the water, no one knows. The centre plate is best as it reduces leeway. So the single prop will get in the way. Photo shows centre plate down about one quarter of drop.

captain bligh:
Hi hammer
We normally do an exercise with the Irene  with the lifeboat when she calls in to us for a few days.
But this year we was all invited down on board for a big cooked breakfast and very nice it was to  :-)) :-))
Mike

derekwarner:
Morning RGY........great to see your text  ok2.......

The one thing that strikes me as difficult to understand is the angle of the propeller shaft to the axis >>:-(....the angle between both shafts is ''acute'', but how the shafts align internally is the question

Could they be driven by a splitter box with a very physically close output each through a universal to a single engine?  >>:-(

I read your note in the other thread thankyou.....my very best to you for the Festive season............. Derek

hammer:
Captain Bligh thanks for the reply, I think she is in Plymouth at present. I will have to find out exactly where.
Derek, well observed  as always but no she has 2 Gardener diesels engines. The angel is more upwards than inwards. This photo at different angle shows it better. 
Found a lot of information already. Bridgwater Museum yesterday, on the net day before. Breath 20.98ft that's 21 in my book, length is questionable, 100ft, 85ft, quoted but over what? eventually found 83ft at water line. I have a photo taken square onto & at water level, This will be scanned into my drawing program on layer1 on layer2 draw over the photo, remove layer1 & I have the elevation. Now I need a body plan look through my library to find a fit. I have 3 books on old sail with small drawings, also when ever I get a public library book I scan it into my computer. Copy right? Now all these are very small, so enlarge on computer, problem the lines are enlarged also. So I enlarge until lines about 1/8th wide print, trace in the centre of line, repeat until sections correspond to the with of the model. Usually only twice. The spacing of frames usually equal 10 plus half stations at each end but not always.  Once I have built the hull all other drawing will be done on the hull. The elevation is not at the scale of the model , a double  sided scale rule made, red side for elevation black for model.         

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version