Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Models Irene  (Read 4709 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Art of Models Irene
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »

Thought I would have ago at the fittings for the booms. The bands around the mast made as before ( bore a bar to fit & part off). Solder a lug on place on a mandrill together & drill pivot hole, so they are the same.  The barrel, drill down the centre of a 3/16th rod to fit a 3/32 rod. Solder on a lug wile soldering the rods together. Notice the small rod protrudes farther out at the bottom. This is so as I take the tension of the sail the top can pull out freeing the barrel, allowing the sail to be rolled around the boom. The lug is drilled 10BA clearance. The rod in the centre of the boom is turned from hexagon bar, a saw cut down the centre of the remaining hexagon. Drilled & tap 10BA & clearance one side. Now looking in my old gears, thinking of a size to make the reefing drum a stroke of luck. I found the wheels from a correction tape dispenser just the job. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »

What am I going to use part of milk container for, Answer soon maybe tomorrow.
Finished the goose necks, or are they cranes, something like that. The mizzen shown as operating, the main shown released so the sail can be reefed. In the passed I have removed the 10BA bolt to achieve this, but small bolt small hole cold fingers not ideal. 
Both jack stays are on the booms, hope they are strong enough, very thin. Also in the photos can be seen the start of the topgallant rail.
Temporary string for stays, so I can make patterns for the sails. This could be a long job if I stich them when sat watching rubbish on TV. But I do have another cunning plan. 

derekwarner_decoy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »

RGY....maybe just because I am in OZ, or your images have crossed the International Date line  :-)

But.... as shown.....does the Mizzen Boom clear the top of the [Aft] Deck House/wheel helm roof?

....or is it time I went to Spec Savers  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »

Howzat!! not out Derek. Sloping down just a touch, the topping lift will rise it over the crutch, rest to you. No one had a guess at what the milk container was for.  The handle cut at the top makes a good ventilator. I have used this method before, strong & light. Most important of all, cost nothing. In this case had to make it smaller. Slit down the front overlapped & melted back together, with that pencil blow torch. Look close just 2 little ripples on the join. The one I have soldered all the mast fittings with. Brian & Derek so there.  :kiss: Hammer. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »

Here is a trick I am proud of. The cast hawser hole in the bulwarks can be difficult to carve. This is the easy way. Drill a hole down the centre of a dowel, of a suitable size. Cut off the end at a sharp angle, then a slice at a slightly less angle. Then cut in half across the shortest point, turn one piece over & glue back together.  (right hand side No 4) A bit of sanding jobs a good'un.
 Chain plates back on bulwarks finished, even around the stern.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2017, 06:52:48 PM »

Milk bottle, I know I know :embarrassed:

Cut a diagonal from the handle to the opposite bottom corner. You then have a handy scoop for filling plantpots with compost. If you leave the cap in place it can also be used to water the same pots  O0 %) %)

Ot take the cap off and use to mix small amounts of paint on the top or upside down to have a small amount of thinners in to clean brush.

Or cut off across the bottle below the handle and you have a container to mix polyester or epoxy resin in, when any remainder sets, the bottle can be flexed and the dried lump falls out so it can be re-used. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

But I don't think you meant any of these.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 05:16:28 PM »

Yes well done Brian.
Other things are getting in the way now. But managed to finish both gaffs, with all metal work. The pully for the gaff sail sheet, the smallest yet. Sheve only 1/8th
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up