Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Models Irene  (Read 53539 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Art of Models Irene
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:54 pm »

Finally made the water. A few teething troubles as expected. All my own fault, first I left the hatch at home! Next the motor battery failed to hold its charge (charged on Tuesday night). Sailing with out the hatch, afraid to go out to far, after a gust heeled her well over(chicken). The mizzen top sail taken off as the halyard knot came undone. Not so noticeable from the picture she is down at the head. A fellow club member loaned me a battery, it was a lot heavier than mine. May have to remove lead from the forward hatch. (new battery)  Better to be higher than lower at the bow. More of a problem, I snapped off a deadeye from a chain plate, Silver soldered, can't soft solder on silver, don't fancy getting it red hot. problem!!
The rudder controlled her well & no water entered, so showing promise.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2017, 09:33:35 am »

She looks great on the water, a few teething problems are all part of the modelling experience :} think of it as full size shake down runs. 8)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2017, 04:59:01 pm »

Thanks Brian, as I said all my own fault. It went better than I could wish for.
Sent for a new battery, I should have known better expecting a 40 year old battery to hold a charge. Removed lead from the bow, as the new battery is the same as the one I was loaned. Tied the mizzen top sail back on put super glue on the knot. Repaired the deadeye, made a new chain plate only 3/4" long. Lapped & epoxy onto the original, double thickness but can't  be seen. 
Made & fitted the life bouys  with brackets, stuck to carpet tape so the spray doesn't blow them away.
Cat heads, anchors & chains fitted, a bit difficult to photograph. Put Derek will agree my pictures have improved from the Duke of Devonshire post.   
Looking forward to the next sail now.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2017, 12:39:01 am »

All just minor commissioning issues  O0 .........RGY back in the August the 4th, we see the ship being loaded with sacks and neatly placed into her hold and up to deck level

Don't quite understand  :o what type product would be loaded as such.....the size of the sacks/bags would suggest a semi finished product, however not Flour nor Cement/Clinker due to moisture, too small for unground grain? and too small for Coal ? and not the right shape/size for Potato sacks?

We also see that cranky cranked  funnel  {-)

Looking forward to her next sailing

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2017, 04:51:08 pm »

Derek your guess is as good as mine. If I could recognise the port that might help, but loading or unloading? A port with a crane, in a wide estuary.  In my original copy lettering can be seen on the sacks, but unreadable. Teignmouth still imports animal feed & exports clay, both possibilities. Cement was brought to Bridgwater by ship, as the cement works just 20 miles across the Bristol Channel. Over 200 miles on land, rail (mostly) or road (never then), but always now. It was in hessian sacks weighing 2C.W.T. men where men. Now I don't know the weight but they can be lifted by one hand.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2017, 12:10:39 pm »

Fitted the Armstrong patent windlass drive. Made a bucket, turned from 1/2" very old water pipe, not possible with modern paper thin copper pipe. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2017, 03:48:56 pm »

Made a 40gal drum, placed on deck, as in unloading photo.
Also made 2 fairleads for the bow rail.  Cut from an old guard from a skill saw. Cut and file the shape, still on the block. Drill the holes, then hold in the vice with the jaws just below the shape required. Rest the hacksaw on the jaws & cut along, job done. Remembering to make a left & right.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2017, 11:01:20 am »

One member of the crew is on board, a sleep on the cabin top. The rest will be back from the pub later.
 Properly after I come back from a visit to Chatham historic dockyard.
 P.S. The cat is just a lump of filler.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2017, 01:54:50 pm »

In the light of experience sailing Irene an alteration. I have removed the hanks from the jibs as it made it difficult to remove them, when the wind demanded it. I have now fitted hooks to the head, clew & tack. Just one hank around the stay where the head, halyard & down haul meet, keeping the sail tight to the stay.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2017, 03:57:26 pm »

I have found the crew in Chatham, they where in a pound shop. Yes £1 for 12. I don't like spending money but even I couldn't resist a bargain like that. Unfortunately they had signed on to the army.  But after major surgery I think I can rescue two.  The rest will be cut down to fit on my paddle steamer, as passengers, some will have to ware dresses.     

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2017, 05:01:42 pm »

The crew are aboard. The helmsman can just be seen through the screen. I think the captain is wearing his old Army uniform. They must be ready to go as the red duster has been hosted. I just painted this on thin nylon, left over from model aircraft covering.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2017, 03:05:57 pm »

Irene sank today. Launched with just a small list to starboard suddenly the list increased, the rail level with the water. This brought the hatch combing below water. I could see trouble so bringing her in A.S.P. Got within 3ft of the steps before she went down in 2.5ft. I think the motor battery moved, my own mistake. Retrieving Irene we broke the mizzen mast where I had repaired before. A few deck planks have plimbed up, all the electronics are in the airing cupboard. So in dry dock for at least a fortnight. As I asked in the beginning why is modelling not art. I have come to the conclusion that art is something useless, just something to look at. Well Irene is ART at present.   

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2017, 11:05:51 pm »

Goodness RGY...we hope all of the crew are OK  %)......was it the height of the coaming that was the issue, or the hatch itself lift off?

How does one calculate this?.......

By rotating an end elevation view of the hull x the maximum angle of list & then scale up the assumed water line over the deck to the coaming rail?

Would the Fwd hatched 'skylight' have to be considered in the same light if the hull dipped by the bow?...or is this just a 'blocked wooden plate' to elevate your feet prior to accessing the companion way?

Am sure, a few days in dock will see the results of the modifications.......do you allow the crew shore leave during such dockings or are they expected to chip-in & do some extra work?  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2017, 09:03:45 am »

I have sacked the captain, it never happened before he took over. A sail boat should be able to heel right over with no problems. So major redesign required.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2017, 04:16:30 pm »

Second job after removing all the electrics, remove the heat shrink from the batteries.  Having sunk before (only once ) learnt the hard way moisture inside the heat shrink will rust the connection tabs. Next year no power, and a new battery. Replaced heat shrink with duct tape, having dried over night.
Here is the evidence Derek. Only over at 70deg and the water over the combing. Lucky it hadn't happened before.
Two options increase the height of the combing, not scale. The Irene's load line was only 18ins of freeboard, they must have battened the hatch tight. Or seal the hatch 1/2ins below the top of the combing. Bring the switch wire up through with silicone, stopping ingress. Replace the tube for the carry handle with a larger diameter, and longer, seal again. Also replace lifting rod with a piano wire. Any water getting on the sealing plate can go down the tube, instead of filling the boat. That's the theory, we shall see.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2017, 04:24:35 pm »

I have to thank John who sent me a P.M. (very grateful) concerning a deeper keel. Here is what I have, not that deep but hopefully won't get tangled in weed, tree roots and water lilies in our pond. The big thank for John, is tipping the boat over to take a photo, I saw the reason for the sinking. Not noticed under the flat bottom when in the stand!! Wile removing some of the lead to compensate for the heavier battery, I had broken two planks!!
Now repaired with filler on the outside and a patch inside. I will be still altering the main hatch though.
The mizzen mast removed and the bands saved, holding the mast in vice with each band resting on jaws and hitting the top of mast. Joined the old to mark out the new. The shrouds saved as well ready to thread back on. 
The razed deck plank will have to be removed relayed if they don't shrink back, not much hope there.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2017, 09:15:19 am »

Taken the electronics out of the airing cupboard, after ten days. All working fine, no damage at all. So called experts have told me not to switch on while still damp. If I did it would be ruined, so to be on the safe side I didn't. But what puzzles me is it had been switched on for fifteen minuets under water with no damage. Any answers.
The new mizzen mast is in, and the deck planks have shrunk back in place.  Should be sailing this Sunday weather permitting. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2017, 08:43:33 am »

Irene on display for the winter, in the bedroom window, privalige. Had three good voyage this season. All sorted, Totnes Castle  is on the slipway now, she will be there some time. Can be seen in work boats above.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2018, 12:21:23 pm »

The photo of the first sail above shows a full compliment of sails all except mizzen top sail. This photo shows a reduced rig for normal windy day. The mizzen has one roll around the boom, could have a few more as could the main. If it is strong wind.

Being in the bedroom I have looked at the rudder & it has annoyed me. to large a gap around the propeller. Decided to make a new one. While at it I have increased to drop by an inch. This will also help with the stability on rough days.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2018, 03:10:44 pm »

The improved rudder ready for assembly. After the wooden outer's have been epoxied to each side of the frame, sanded & painted. The stock of the frame is inserted into the rudder trunk. Then the sleeve is inserted down the top of the trunk over the stock, The hexagonal section holds it all at the right height. The tiller is threaded into the top of the stock & locked with the lock nut. Drop keel is lowered, rudder drop plate pushed up pipe in frame, the sliding hinge fitted into the hole in the end of keel.   Finally the handle is adjusted to stop the keel from dropping down below the point where the rudder plate would come out.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:22 am »

The reason for he complication, maintenance for prop,& rudder.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2018, 03:04:56 pm »

There still seems as some confusion still exists. As I have received two P.M. telling me to bolt on a lead keel when sailing. That is why I have the dropping centre plate, made from steel. I did try lead on a previous model but, to low & to heavy, the model bobbed about like a cork. Fine for a racing yacht, with a tall rig, but not a scale boat.
The plate also pulls down the rudder extension, so no bit of plastic bolted on that. If the wind is looks strong enough to push the boat down, I just remove sails. Just as the real thing would do. 
  I hope the pictures make it clear. Handle up plate up & rudder in, handle down, plate down & rudder extended.  The handle also used to carry the boat.
One other alteration I have removed the head sails servo, Now control the stay sail with the main & mizzen. The jibs run free. The original idea of pulling them from side to side is no longer necessary with a motor fitted. Just motor out if caught in irons.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.