Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paint colours  (Read 2472 times)

webbo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
paint colours
« on: December 23, 2016, 04:35:15 pm »

Hi I am struggling to find correct colours for US Los Angeles class  , can anybody help :embarrassed:

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: paint colours
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 07:14:57 pm »

I don't think black works for the upper colour, it needs to be a very dark grey colour. Revell Anthracite is a good 'off black' colour. This can be weathered with slightly lighter colours for vertical streaking. Plus a hard black can be used for random panels, which will then stand out.
I think the Los Angeles class has a red lower hull, below the mid point of the hull. Dry dock photos, from memory, often show a washed out salmon pink sort of colour, indicating extreme wear and tear. So my thoughts would be anything from a flat primer red brown to a very washed out red/pink sort of colour..How is that for vague??
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 01:19:20 am »

UBN  says...... 'a washed out salmon pink sort of colour' ....

This sounds like a 'tributal tin oxide' which are different coloured coatings of a self polishing co-polymer paint

The TBTO is castenergic base that inhibits marine growth.......[moss or marine growth is killed and falls off]  >>:-( the different colour layered system is simply to allow maintainers to know the actual depth of paint remaining

I have seen colours ranging from the salmon pink that UBN notes to turquoise blue and lime green O0.....

These TBTO hull preservation systems saved $millions in unnecessary dockings & steam cleaning of the underwater hull structures both for above and below water vessels

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

webbo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 08:53:10 am »

Many thanks for the quick replies . The plan up to now is Dark Grey Silky Matt or Granite Grey for the top of the hull and Fiery Red Silk Matt or Purple Red Silk Matt for the bottom ,Anthracite for the Bow area. Looking down at the sub from above no antifouling to be seen .Did also think about leaving the bottom a red primer colour.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.