Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Buying Custom or Pre Loved TUG?  (Read 2435 times)

rctugman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Help Buying Custom or Pre Loved TUG?
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:42:33 pm »

Hello to everyone and a very Merry Christmas  (belatedly)  & A Happy New year!

To be honest I really did not think I would ever re-visit the forum again,My search for an R.C. Tug,as never got very far,for what ever reason :((

But of all the Hobbies/Interests I could choose RC Tugs came out on top! O0 this is due to my personal and health situation,which makes some hobbies impractical to attempt!but my dear long suffering wife and my doctors e.t.c al wish me to get active and take up a hobby/interest which helps me fill 24/7!

Without going in to that much detail I have had some profoundly bad experiences on the net >:-o (hobby related)
which left a very bad taste in the mouth and upset me more than I can say!I simply am not suited to Forums and the like,just the way it is.I am far to sensitive. :((

I much prefer to deal with folk one to one,and it is to this end that I would like to make a request please?..
I have spent a very long time looking at RC Tugboat options.I am unable to build anything myself, but could with the help of my brother in law cover any major mishaps!& maintenance issues.

I would value very much the help, advice and guidance of someone who is trusted and above all knowledgeable about the larger scale (Electric) Steam Tugs,hopefully that person could at one level give unbiased advice,and at another level,maybe either build the tug for me or know of someone who likewise is well thought of in the hobby, who might just help me fulfill the dream.? its an option.

It was a long time back but I think I may have informed members that the only reason I am contemplating a tug buy,is I am hoping (everything crossed) :-) to receive a UK government pay out??? the case as being going on for many years,but hoping for definitive answer either way in next 2 months or so.It will not be a mega amount but am sure it will cover cost of Pre-loved large scale TUG or possibly smaller custom built e.t.c.

I just need someone to act as an honest broker.
as I have said to several folk, no one here in Norway seems to build (British Type Tugs)let alone to the standards of UK modellers.Also it is no good me buying blind from adds in magazines e.t.c. because I have no background knowledge to judge a top tug from a less than good example,so will never buy blind without Expert support and guidance.

Also I have being warned off EBay as I had a very bad experience with tug seller,(he was known to members both here and and on other tug forums,)so will not be buying on ebay.

At this time I am just trying as best I can, to get something moving.... some possibilities,options e.t.c.whilst I await the European Court decision... gives me something to look forward to, which as not being the case for a very long time.

Sorry to waffle on everyone,but this project means so much to me,I have made so many costly mistakes (not tug related)in the past and I have promised my dear wife :police: I do things properly this time.

Very Best Wishes
Steve :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Help Buying Custom or Pre Loved TUG?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 06:11:22 pm »

Hey Steve,

Lets see if I can help, have you seen a tug that you like the look of at the moment?

Martin  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 06:58:45 pm »

Hi Steve
I would help if you could say more about what you want
era ,modern ,1960s , steam etc
type ,oceangoing ,ORSV , Harbour , pusher etc ,
Size . how big you want the model . some tugs are very big .
power .steam or electric
budget .
Any more you can add may be a photo of a real tug

john

rctugman

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:26:35 pm »

Good Day Martin :-))
I also Send this reply to John who also kindly replies to my request for help,as I think it answers many of your questions to.if not please ask as many questions as you wish.

Really good to hear from you,many thanks for your kind offers of help,much appreciated.
I am still very unsure as to which Tug to go for.I love most of the top notch models example :-
LadyT, Imara,Gribbin Head,Rosegarth, Empire Ivy,Cruiser,Envoy Class ....
Some of which will probably be out of my reach,but who knows? :-) )at the end of this process and with help I am sure we can reach a decision and no doubt a compromise which I can live with.

The bottom line will be overhaul cost including shipping to Norway (a crate will be required) also we pay very high import Fees on everything IE 35% (including collection fees.) but this is a very special one off so not a great obstacle,as I will only ever own the one Tug,it will easily outlive me. so it may as well be the best it can be.By this I mean it should contain the latest Electronics,Sound system, Lighting,smoke.Deck furniture and even a good looking crew.

As to budget well that's not easy at this early stage but for arguments sake lets say max=£ 1500 including shipping! now this does not mean we go straight to the max.I am more than willing to accept a smaller tug still with all the above specification, it can be pre -loved as long as it is top class.I am convinced starting as I mean to go on with only the  best components,making it both reliable as can be and will with proper handling not have to replace major electronics e.t.c.

Once again many thanks chaps

Regards Steve :-)) :-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 07:35:50 pm »

one other thing . any box over 1.5m long has to go by freight . So when deciding on the Tug . check the length and add some for a box . over 1.5m long the price gos up a fair bit .

John

rctugman

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 07:43:10 pm »

:-)) Hi John
Many thanks for your very quick reply,Yes I am aware of the shipping situation,and whilst I would hope said tug will be less than 1.5 metre,their are several couriers/Shippers who are willing to transport.I am a member of

shipley http://www.shiply.com/

it is a well regarded web site which puts folk wishing to ship with shippers (thousands of them) as long as the boat is well crated should be okay I am also told by a mate in the UK that somebody called UK link or express do a good deal on shipping objects like these.I am not an expert on all this so if you guys know of shippers then that will be be fine.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 08:30:07 pm »

life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

rctugman

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 09:25:40 pm »

:-) Hi Jim
Nice to hear from you,but I am only interested in electric powered Tug,sorry if i did not mention this in my opening  post,I could not handle the complexities of a steam powered unit. Looks a nice boat.and whilst I maybe able to put together some finance earlier,I am at the behest of the court who`s Judgement on a class action is awaited? possibly 1 to 3 months hence.

all the best Steve :-))

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 11:58:15 pm »

:-) Hi Jim
Nice to hear from you,but I am only interested in electric powered Tug,sorry if i did not mention this in my opening  post,I could not handle the complexities of a steam powered unit. Looks a nice boat.and whilst I maybe able to put together some finance earlier,I am at the behest of the court who`s Judgement on a class action is awaited? possibly 1 to 3 months hence.

all the best Steve :-))

if you read the advert through, steve you would have found that the vendor split the model and the steam plant into two separate sales, with the steam plant being sold some weeks ago, leaving the tug with vacant space for an electric motor to your choice. Just what you have said you wanted.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

rctugman

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 11:35:56 am »

:-)) Good day Jim
Many thanks for your reply, I did not think to read it as soon as I saw the steam unit, and whilst I can see the tug maybe okay, I do not think it is what I am looking for,especially at this moment in time

all the best Steve :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.